Sign in to follow this  
chicogrande

1.46: frequent dedicated server crashes

Since upgrading to 1.45, and now 1.46, I've noticed more frequent server crashes than ever before. Looking at the Flashpoint.rpt log reveals:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

=====================================================================

== C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OFP_Server.exe

Exe version: Mon Mar 04 11:29:20 2002

file:     cur_mp

world:    eden

campaign:

battle:  

mission:  

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Version 1.46

Fault address:  00592EB1 01:00191EB1 C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OFP_Server.exe

Prev. code bytes: 8B 70 08 8D 7A 08 75 05 BF C8 8D 6A 00 D9 45 E4

Fault code bytes: 8B 06 51 51 D9 5C 24 04 8B CE D9 45 E0 D9 1C 24

Registers:

EAX:10026130 EBX:006AEDA8

ECX:0000001A EDX:13B581F0

ESI:00000000 EDI:13B581F8

CS:EIP:001B:00592EB1

SS:ESP:0023:0012F568  EBP:0012F59C

DS:0023  ES:0023  FS:0038  GS:0000

Flags:00010206

=======================================================

<span id='postcolor'>

This happens with not just user-made missions, but also BIS provided MP missions. Again, I've only noticed hard-core server crashes like this since 1.45. Any ideas BIS faithful?

I've read some of the posts regarding tweaking MaxMsgSend, and other bandwidth related config. I've tried this, as well as the defaults and this crash happens regardless, usually when the number of connected users is > 1.

Platform is Win2k, 798MB ram, PIII 550. Not ideal, but it worked great before 1.45.

cg

i have this problem too, i havent found a solution yet!!!!!

We have the SAME problem. I have emailed support@bistudio.com and have not heard a solution or reason yet.

I encourage others having this problem to email your context.bin and flashpoint.rpt files to them.

We need this fixed ASAP... it is happening to all I fear. So currently there are NO stable servers running OFP sad.gif (Up and Down all over ASE if you watch)

We are having the same problem...very similar rpt file results:

== C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OFP_SERVER.exe

Exe version: Mon Mar 04 11:29:20 2002

file: cur_mp

world: Cain

campaign:

battle:

mission:

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Version 1.46

Fault address: 005956E5 01wow.gif01946E5 C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\OFP_SERVER.exe

Prev. code bytes: 5D 08 56 57 8B BB 64 03 00 00 85 FF 8B F1 74 14

Fault code bytes: 8B 47 28 8B 40 08 85 C0 74 0A 6A 00 50 8B CF E8

Registers:

EAX:044D6BD0 EBX:02171E60

ECX:04F69D00 EDX:00000006

ESI:04F69D00 EDI:00000001

CS:EIP:001B:005956E5

SS:ESP:0023wow.gif012F204 EBP:0012F218

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:0038 GS:0000

Flags:00010202

=======================================================

No crashing problems since 2 patches ago until we upgraded to 1.45-1.46 and now its crashing often. We run mostly CTF missions...

win2k pro

athlon xp1600

512mb ram

send your flashpoint.rtp and context.bin files to support@bistudio.com

Whew!

Glad I'm not the only one going through this agony.

I sent along the files as everyone suggested.

cg

i rekon that satchels sound mod is causing it,, something to do with the cpp file

IT IS satchels sound mod,, because the when Wright made it compatible with 1.45 he left out the changed configs which came with the 1.46 patch,, i get a no weaponsholder config entry when it crashes in multiplayer,,

Satchel can you make the fix yourself, since you know the cpp better i thinks!!!! WE need a fix for 1.46

most of these servers are not running that addon, we are still having problems and have also sent in our report

ahhh .. i see some early birds ! this problem is resident since 1.45 ( i postet it a week ago )

there is no chance to bypass this problem !!

but a little hint i can give u. the problem with the access violation is NOT in ALL maps. Arudy ver. 1.08 makes the Server crash ( because of the camera script ). between 2 towns and serveral other maps do have the same problem, but some maps are playable.

its now on CM/BIS to find out why

rgds

mac

I'm also having these problems and I run my server unofficial addon-free. I sent in the files to bis support as well.

BTW in my flashpoint.cfg, it shows my Total_Memory="1280 MB". I have 1.5GB DDR on the server, so is this a good setting?

Also, are there any other good Flashpoint.cfg tweaks to do? i've already implemented the ones recommended in the DSAdmin for my dedicatedserver.cfg file.

funny.

2:48:54 Dedicated server created

2:48:59 Player connected

(this was the time we restarted the server, the admin disconnected and while trying to reconnect as <nick> (2) FADE cut him down) ..

last message is:

19:29:00 Reading mission ...

19:29:16 Mission read

as in: almost 17 hours of play, no problems. before that restart, there'd been at least 10 hours of furious play with big coops and tdm's, version 1.46 ..

win2k, 256mb mem, 1200 athlon. maxmsgsend 512, minbandwidth 1884160. no dynamic range sound addon on the server.

Hi BI and all wink.gif

we have the same here on all two dedicated servers. Since 1.46(1.45) the crashes allmost after 10 Minutes with specifics Custom Maps. The same we have in the Past with the Beta-versions.

Here is a link with our context.bin and flashpoint.rpt. I also

include one custom map (Arudy LT) where the dedicated crashes verry often. I hope this help debuging.

http://www.rc-heli.de/ofp/debug.zip

cheers!

delius aka nox-OF

http://www.oldfreakz.org

I have some information for you regarding the most common crashes we received from 1.46 and 1.45:

- No crash information we received so far indicates there is any new crash opportunity in 1.46 or 1.45.

- Most common crash is related to title effect and sound which is played when taking weapons, magazines, reloading fuel or similiar actions.

- Second most common crash is related to getting into vehicle cargo space. Exact details are not known yet.

- We are working on a fix for the most common crash. I am not sure when the fix will be available.

- If you use scripting to make AI perform any of actions mentioned above, it increases chance crash will happen.

I would like to encourage all server administrators to send us crash files, as it really helps us to make OFP more stable.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for your response Suma. It would appear that there are several major issues that the BIS team is working.

Some questions:

1. Is it safe to say these issues have been introduced with the introduction of the 1.45 patchlevel?

2. Until a fix for these major issues is reached what suggestion do you have for server admins? Roll-back to 1.42? Don't use missions with vehicles or vehicle scripting in them?

cg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. Is it safe to say these issues have been introduced with the introduction of the 1.45 patchlevel?

<span id='postcolor'>

Let me repeat: we have no evidence of any crash opportunity introduced in 1.45 or 1.46. I cannot say there is no such thing, but no crash file we received showed us any new bug that would be introduced in 1.45 or 1.46. In other words, all crashes we received from 1.45 or 1.46 would happen in 1.42 as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

2. Until a fix for these major issues is reached what suggestion do you have for server admins? Roll-back to 1.42? Don't use missions with vehicles or vehicle scripting in them?

<span id='postcolor'>

From above, I would still recommend running 1.46. The most dangerous thing from stability point of view seems to be taking weapons and magazines, especially in AI groups.

All I do know is that I can now make the 1.46 dedicated server crash like clockwork by:

1. Taking a LAW Launcher from the cargo area of a St. Truck

2. Getting in the truck as a driver

3. Driving a few yards

4. Getting out of the truck

5. Taking a LAW Rocket from the cargo area of the St. Truck

Crashes it every time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Let me repeat: we have no evidence of any crash opportunity introduced in 1.45 or 1.46. I cannot say there is no such thing, but no crash file we received showed us any new bug that would be introduced in 1.45 or 1.46. In other words, all crashes we received from 1.45 or 1.46 would happen in 1.42 as well.

<span id='postcolor'>

I have to think that in version 1.42 I often found myself taking items from cargo areas, manning vehicles, then grabbing items again from the cargo area without crashing. Perhaps it's time to find out...

hmm...

cg

We have also found the 1.45 seems to have introduced increased crashes. with 1.42 we had ZERO crashes...we are running the same missions, on the same computer, using the same settings...the only new factor in the equation is the 1.45-1.46 patch and since this was introduced, we find far more crashes than with 1.42...it does seem to be mission specific, but those same missions ran without a hitch in 1.42...perhaps some of the script fixes kicked in some dormant scripting in some missions which was not functioning before...I know that (at least on one mission we have) that after 1.45 the vehicles now respawn when they didnt before.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We have also found the 1.45 seems to have introduced increased crashes.<span id='postcolor'>

Did you send us any crash files? If not, please, do so - you will help us fixing the problem.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- No crash information we received so far indicates there is any new crash opportunity in 1.46 or 1.45.<span id='postcolor'>

I have to correct this now. When 1.46 and 1.45 or 1.46 with "Dynamic range" sound replacement connect together and Hind appears in the mission, it can lead to crash.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Most common crash is related to title effect and sound which is played when taking weapons, magazines, reloading fuel or similiar actions.

<span id='postcolor'>

This (most common) issue is not new, it has been present since 1.00.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Second most common crash is related to getting into vehicle cargo space. Exact details are not known yet.

<span id='postcolor'>

Exact details are known: Different cargo space definition for Hind helicopter is what is causing trouble.

See topic "Possible solution for ofp 1.46 server crashes" in this forum for more information.

Thanks Suchey for bringing home my point. I'd like to comment on Suma's last post:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Exact details are known: Different cargo space definition for Hind helicopter is what is causing trouble.<span id='postcolor'>

I disagree. I've been able to crash the server using the steps I've indicated above with any number of vehicles where...

1. The vehicle has cargo spaces with ammo/weapons

2. As the player I take weapons

3. As the player I drive the vehicle

4. As the player I disembark and select another weapon/ammo from vehicle.

5. Crash.

I do not believe this is an isolated Hind issue as you indicate in your last post, but a general cargo issue with any number of vehicles.

Time permitting, I plan on rolling my server/client install back to 1.42 and trying to break it.

cg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I disagree. I've been able to crash the server using the steps I've indicated above with any number of vehicles where...<span id='postcolor'>

As I wrote, there are two most common issues:

- Most common crash is related to title effect and sound which is played when taking weapons, magazines, reloading fuel or similiar actions

- Second most common crash is related to getting into vehicle cargo space. Exact details are not known yet.

First one is what you describe here, it is in no way related to Hind and it is not a new issue in 1.45.

Second one is "cargo issue" which is almost certainly isolated to Hind cargo inconsistency.

What's the Parameter to require a certain version on a Dedicated Server? So that we can make people use 1.46.

Hmmm...

We find it impossible to police such events due to the fact we now have several servers online and they are fairly large capacity.

Suggestions?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's the Parameter to require a certain version on a Dedicated Server? So that we can make people use 1.46.

<span id='postcolor'>

There is no such parameter. As I wrote in the other topic, if you do not have control over your clients, the most reliable way to avoid crashes until we provide a fix is to disable any missions that contain Hind. Searching for them should be relatively easy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Mar. 06 2002,05:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you send us any crash files? If not, please, do so - you will help us fixing the problem.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes...I sent crash files for both 1.45 and 1.46...It seems as though BIS is narrowing in on the problems...I have full confidence that this will be corrected soon...thanks for the quick response SUMA...