Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hey Leon, ive got good news. I used to have 55C average when playing Arma2. Now i have put a ventilator, a small one in the room pointing at the case whch is open. It now stays around 45. :D

home made cooling

Currently Arma 2 gets about 25 to 10 FPS on normal settings.So with the new specs how well do you think would Arma 2 run on medium to high settings?

medium to high? i would wager about 40 to 30 ~ med to high.

A 4.0ghz cpu with a gtx 570 equivalent would likely double that performance. :j:

Wow thank you so much guys. Im even more excitedd about the parts. Leon, im still thinking about the 275 but i never had experiences with an ATI graphics card. What do i look for for the gpu to be compatible with the motherboard and processor?

Edited by solidsnake2384

they're all pci-e, so any should work.

compare gpu's here

On a singleplayer scenario you should be able to get 50 fps on average, generally staying over 30 fps on mostly medium settings.

With tweaking settings you'll be able to get better performance or better looks, whereas with your old system you had neither. Should be a large difference.

Found a good gpu deal yet? the ati 4890 is the ati equivalent to the 275, also go for 70eu secondhand here. In the us prices should be even lower.

The ATI you mentioned is actually more expensive. Theres cheaper deals for the 275 in the US.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

After more research both GPUs vary with the prices.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

OMG! Great mobo here! Should I buy? Has P67 chipset!

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:04 PM ----------

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASUS-P8P67-Rev-3-1-B3-P67-LGA1155-Motherboard-/260811919336?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3cb99a0fe8

Leon, i can play arma2 on medium/high. I would like to go further, my cpu is okey i guess. I want to upgrade my videocard, i have like i said an HD4870 1GB.

Should i replace it with a better card? like this one?

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6770,1GB/1167293

or this one:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6770-VAPORX,1GB/1167292

wil it let me play arma on High?

Just wondering if these products will work together.

Gigabyte SKT-AM2+/AM3 GA-M68M-S2P Motherboard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-SKT-AM2-AM3-GA-M68M-S2P-Motherboard/dp/tech-data/B0033PUMYI/ref=de_a_smtd

AMD phenom II X2 565 Black Edition

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/amd-phenom-ii-x2-565-black-edition-processor-09933604-pdt.html

I also have 2 gigs of DDR2 ram

and a nvidia geforce 9400gt 1024mb

Basicially im upgrading my motherboard and processor from and amd athon x2 3800+ and an abit motherboard.

I know all that isnt top of the range stuff that will run arma2 on full but its all i can afford and it will wipe the floor of my current system lol

cheers

The ATI you mentioned is actually more expensive. Theres cheaper deals for the 275 in the US.

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

After more research both GPUs vary with the prices.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

OMG! Great mobo here! Should I buy? Has P67 chipset!

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:04 PM ----------

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ASUS-P8P67-Rev-3-1-B3-P67-LGA1155-Motherboard-/260811919336?pt=Motherboards&hash=item3cb99a0fe8

Seems like a good board, if it has P67 you can overclock 400 Mhz, or overclock "unlimited" with a K chip.

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Leon, i can play arma2 on medium/high. I would like to go further, my cpu is okey i guess. I want to upgrade my videocard, i have like i said an HD4870 1GB.

Should i replace it with a better card? like this one?

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6770,1GB/1167293

or this one:

http://www.mycom.nl/Product/Componenten-Videokaart/Sapphire-Radeon-HD6770-VAPORX,1GB/1167292

wil it let me play arma on High?

Nope, only a bit faster than your current card. It has dx11 features but that doesnt help with arma being dx9.

The gtx560ti is a good performer for the price but it's of course more expensive.

But before you even buy a new card try and find out if you are gpu or cpu limited. Run the taskmanager and gpu-z monitoring in the background and see which is limiting you. If the gpu load stays near 100% that means you're gpu limited. If one of your cores gets over 80 most of the time and the other cores are loaded as well that means you're still cpu limited.

If you want an example of cpu limits try running the benchmark 2 scenario, nearly always cpu limited. Start the taskmanager with Ctrl-Shift-Esc, go to tab performance, start arma, start bench 02 and when it's nearly done alt-tab to the taskmanager

Well the benchmark started like a slideshow, but somewhere in the middle it went okey. All of the cores where above 50-60%. So then the new CPU i bought still isnt enough?

well, bench2 is quite a rediculous scenario. On my pc you can clearly see 1 core almost maxxed, that seems like a cpu limit.

In my case it didnt went tot 100% but almost all the cores were between 50 to 80%.

In this case its a cpu limit to? Maybe i should have give 40 euros extra and bought a faster one?

i now have the Phenom X4 955BE 3.6ghz

the 955 is 3.2 Ghz. there's a couple of phenoms with more mhz but that difference is hardly noticable. And it's black edition so you can easily overclock it to 965 speeds if you really want to.

arma doesnt scale over 4 core so the more expensive sixcores are useless.

other scenario's might be limited by the videocard, you'll have to test with a normal scenario to see if it's worth overclocking/getting a more powerfull gpu.

Edited by Leon86

you mean the benchmark 1?

To be honest i am happy with the current settings, because its way more beautiful then on my previeus CPU. I could hardly play it even on low.

Now i can play it on normal/high sometimes dropping a bit fps.

I found out that i have a much higher fps in takistan then in chernarus. Maybe because of the wooded areas? But luckely i got the heat factor under control now, it stays under 50 now even playing the game.

benchmark 1 marked a 36average fps. is a bit low i think.

Edited by Sgt Gul

Another question. I came across a motherboard but it is a micro ATX. Please explain this to me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138296R&cm_re=biostar_motherboard-_-13-138-296R-_-Product

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I dont know the difference between micro ATX and ATX. Heres another mobo that i like. (hopefully the last one ill post)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121510&cm_re=P67-_-13-121-510-_-Product

The difference between the regular board and the "Micro" board is that the Micro board is a very small board. I would go with the regular version and not Micro.

Ok thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Also whats the differences between a PCI-E x1 and a PCI-E x16 slot since a motherboard im thinking about buying only has 1 PCI-E x16 slot.

But what the point of having multiple PCI-E slots and what do the different types do like x16 and x8? I dont plan on using multiple graphics cards.

you need a big pci-e slot to connect your videocard, so you need at least one pci-e x16 size slot, no problems there, all boards have them.

if you want to connect 2 gpu's on a cpu/chipset that only has enough bandwith for one x16 connection it connects both cards on x8, still plenty bandwith especially with pci-e 2.0

I wouldn't worry about getting a micro atx board, fits fine in a regular case, and I doubt you'll need room even for more than one gpu.

Edited by Leon86

I've currently got an:

Asus IPIBL-LA Berkeley GL8E Motherboard

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad (not overclocked)

nVidia GeForce 8600GT (256MB)

3GB (2*1GB + 2*512MB) 333MHz RAM

I'm getting pretty abysmal performance in ARMA 2: CO... even on the lowest settings and I figure my RAM and GPU are the main bottlenecks in the system.

So far I plan to upgrade to:

8GB (4*2GB 800MHz Kingston HyperX)

Gainward GeForce GT440 (1GB)

OCZ StealthXStream2 550 Watt PSU (since the one currently installed only deliver 280 Watts and probably won't be able to pull the new GPU)

I know the game won't ever use this much RAM, but I also do a lot of photo editing work and the like, so I figured I might as well upgrade for that too.

The prices for the hardware upgrades I've found are about 175-195 dollars for the RAM, 117-136 dollars for the GPU and 78-97 dollars for the PSU.

This makes for a total of 370-430 dollars which I consider a significant investment at this time.

My questions are as follows:

Do any of you have experience with overclocking the CPU on the motherboard that I currently have? Is it at all doable?

and

Do you have any other suggestions or thoughts on the upgrades I've planned?

@BrainFriis: I'm not sure that MB is overclockable. Have you looked into the Bios to see if the FSB/MUltiplier is unlocked? If thats a Dell or Compaq, your probably outta luck.

I would suggest if going Nvidia on the GPU to spend a few bucks more ($159-$30 Rebate card = $129.00) and grab the 460 1GB. Great card (just bought my 3rd)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Edited by froggyluv

I've currently got an:

Asus IPIBL-LA Berkeley GL8E Motherboard

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad (not overclocked)

nVidia GeForce 8600GT (256MB)

3GB (2*1GB + 2*512MB) 333MHz RAM

I'm getting pretty abysmal performance in ARMA 2: CO... even on the lowest settings and I figure my RAM and GPU are the main bottlenecks in the system.

So far I plan to upgrade to:

8GB (4*2GB 800MHz Kingston HyperX)

Gainward GeForce GT440 (1GB)

OCZ StealthXStream2 550 Watt PSU (since the one currently installed only deliver 280 Watts and probably won't be able to pull the new GPU)

I know the game won't ever use this much RAM, but I also do a lot of photo editing work and the like, so I figured I might as well upgrade for that too.

The prices for the hardware upgrades I've found are about 175-195 dollars for the RAM, 117-136 dollars for the GPU and 78-97 dollars for the PSU.

This makes for a total of 370-430 dollars which I consider a significant investment at this time.

My questions are as follows:

Do any of you have experience with overclocking the CPU on the motherboard that I currently have? Is it at all doable?

and

Do you have any other suggestions or thoughts on the upgrades I've planned?

If you're running winxp 32 bit you can only use 3.3 GB ram, so I wouldn't upgrade that.

If you want to know if you can overclock you'll have to look in the bios, if it's an oem pc (dell and such) it's usually impossible.

If you're going to upgrade your gpu I'd look for something faster than a gtx 440. Your gpu is probably the reason for your abysmal performance btw.

If you want to upgrade to a 64 bit os and 8GB ram it's probably cheaper to buy a board with ddr3, as ddr3 is MUCH cheaper than ddr2. This way you can make sure you can overclock as well.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could know about how much FPS I'd get on medium settings with this rig:

Processor Main Features:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz

64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor:

2 x 1MB L2 Cache

Memory:

4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (1 GB)

Thanks!

It would be greatly appreciated if I could know about how much FPS I'd get on medium settings with this rig:

Processor Main Features:

AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz

64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor:

2 x 1MB L2 Cache

Memory:

4GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory

Graphics:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 (1 GB)

Thanks!

It will barely run with all settings set on the absolute minimum, that gpu is very weak, even weaker than BrainFriis' current gpu and he says he has abysmal performance.

Edited by Leon86

:rolleyes:

with that graphics card you might get about 10 fps, on lowest settings, looking at the sky! :D

OR...try the free version, and you tell us

http://www.arma2.com/free

In my opinion, you need at least $100 graphics card to enjoy Arma2.

~gtx275/4890 minimum

heres Leons favorite link, for reference ! ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-radeon-hd-6990-geforce-gtx-590,2912-7.html

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-