Sign in to follow this  
SMERSH

PzKpfw VI Tiger, Crew, Werhmacht infantry [WW2]

If thats indeed the one then it should be mentioned by the author if its not then i never said anything smile_o.gif

love it. the one thing that looks really good looks ripped.

sad_o.gif

I thought maybe only the textures but looking at certain details it is a very close call.

Day of Defeat source?? Not Day of Defeat invented the Tiger 1, It was Germany during the second world war, but yes, the Tiger is in the game from day of defeat too, because it was the most frightend tank in the war next to the Kingtiger!

ahahah of course i know the germans invented the tiger 1, im dumb but im not that dumb, the tanks models or what ever you want to call them are from Day of Defeat Source which is really cool cause they look awesome the only bad thing is there damaged on both sides, but that don't matter and i think the cover of the exhaust is also missing on the back of the tank, but other than that they look sweet

Damn,it really does look like the DoD Tiger,I hope it's the original authors effort because I bought into that as a bonafide Mod asset.

I think anyone who put that amount of time, effort, and care into modelling and texturing and tiger tank would have known not to leave the decals on while attempting to produce a normal map.  Now they have an embossed cross and numbers on there.  I would be very surprised (and delighted) if this turned out to be 100% original work.

This seems like the avro vulcan of last year.

judging by the side skirts, it looks a lot like it...

It surely isn't the exact same model, but it's surely based on the DoD:S Tiger. That's all.

Thanks for the pics and they provide even more insight in the similarities of the two tigers. And it doesn't look based, it looks ripped. If it were based I there would be glaring differences. As such there are only glaring similarities. The biggest difference I can see is the left front track skirt and the numbers. Beyond that I'm more and more convinced that it's a rip because the normal map seems to have been generated from the colour map, as seen with the german cross on the side of the tank. Unless you don't really know how to, you'd generate them layer by layer instead of from the colour map. And if you can make textures like that, then I'm pretty sure you know how to make normal maps.

The wear on both tanks seem to be pretty close(check left front hull, left front top drivers slit, scratch on the left of the machine gun, dirt on the right bottom half of the gun mantlet(this is all looking from the front of the tank)), , plus the number of smoke launchers for example.

So yeah, I'm curious.

There is a high possibility that this tank is indeed the same one in DoD:Source. What convinced me was what MehMan wrote about the normal map being based on the color map, I understand also about the other similarities but also take a look at this; the metal spokes that hold the spare track-links on the turret are even the same (bent in the same areas). Nevermind the missing heat-shield on one exhaust, handle in front of the driver's compartment and other such details.

If it is a rip, then let the author say so. It still took a considerable effort in placing the model in game, and for it to be functioning well. I don't want to attack the authors of this addon at all but just think that it is indeed the same model.

Just be honost of whats going on, this is to obvious.. check this screen, even the scratches are 100% Identical.. rofl.gif

tank01.jpg

If that "and?" is a signal of indifference to possible ripping?

and?

Well saying THEY did made this addon and trying to get away with it.. thats whats going on. If they just hade been honost in the beginning it would have been alright. Just a great looking Tiger I in ArmA ported from DoD, but claiming to be the maker of it.. thats just wrong.

anyone knowing this guy screenshots from the photography thread knows better.

Screaming fire and murder now does not help much does it.

Maybe they made the Tiger I or ported it but used the dod textures with permission....wait till he responds.

Oh then we get the other issue....bah ports whistle.gif

Better 100 good legal ports in a year as to wait years for nothing and unfinished stuff.

I have no beef with porting. People can port all they like, if they plan to release it and show it in public they have to get permission of the original author. That's all.

anyone knowing this guy screenshots from the photography thread knows better.

Screaming fire and murder now does not help much does it.

Maybe they made the Tiger I or ported it but used the dod textures with permission....wait till he responds.

Oh then we get the other issue....bah ports  whistle.gif

Better 100 good legal ports in a year as to wait years for nothing and unfinished stuff.

You're right on that, it could be made with promission. But if you look good enough even the model itself is a copy. Ok they added a second gunner in the turret.. but that still doesnt give you the right to say its yours.

But as you said yourself, lets wait for the judgement to be made

Oh then we get the other issue....bah ports  whistle.gif

> stuff <

pity what I wrote was truly a work of art

@jojimbo

Ignore people like these. I and many others really appreciate your work, as there are no real chances for a good WWII mod for ArmA in several months. You work on quality stuff, which is created by you and that's highly appreciated. But we're getting a little offtopic aren't we? Let's just skip this one.

2004-2006 to turn 1985 into 1944 is not what I call a long development period, there have been many OFP mods that have taken longer for a smaller "total" conversion wink_o.gif

If you tell a lie often enough, it will become the truth in some people's minds I guess. It's the reason why we don't have a thread here anymore, to prevent people from spreading biased lies.

'Legal rips', eh?

In what way is ripping off copyrighted work legal? Especially when it's the IP of Sierra or Valve... Even ripping off the textures, or creating derivative works AT ALL is illegal. If he has permission, the only reason not to say so is because he wants to take credit, which I think, given the usual agreement for derivative works, is also illegal.

Quite plainly, this model is using some or all of the assets for that tiger tank. At the very least, it's using the textures, and textures derived from the stolen textures. I think this thread should be locked.

I'm just as disappointed, especially because I was excited to see a Tiger I suitable for an Eastern Front themed scenario. I've followed this for some time on the armedassault.info forums and I don't know what to think of it.

If it is an "illegal" port then a damned shame it won't see a release but I think it still took considerable time even to port the model and put it into the state it's in right now.

I feel sad when I see more and more people go this way in the community.

I agree with all others that say this has ben ported over. The whole texture just looks the same, and some parts of the model had minor tweaks and thats it.

goodnight.gif