Sign in to follow this  
floosy

AI and roads

Hi all,

i'm working on my second island. I saw a problem on the last, the AI comportement.

So i did some try with only one road in this new project, but there is a big problem: AI didn't follow the road. Is there a command i must put in the config of the island?

(sorry for my bad english crazy_o.gif )

I think a code is not necessary.

I believe your issue has to do with how you implement the roads on the map.. to be more specific, how you end up your netroads.

What kinda roads are you using?

Are you also using terminators? Ie, you must finish a road with "Gen. Terminator" else the road will not work properly for the dumb ais.

vis_em_RoadsProperties.JPG

source

You need to use it to "close" the roads so AI can understand them as we want.

edit: typo

Ok i've tryied it, but AI still doing "zigzag"

How do you do when you create a road with some crossroads? Perhaps i dont do it fine.

(i'm placing a part of road , edit it and add other part. Then it s finish i edit it and add a terminator part)

When you finish a road you "Gen. terminator" in position A and then you also "Gen. terminator" for position B.

Both directions much have the "Gen. terminator" option done. Only then AIs work properly.

I never used crossroads option.

I only set straight roads, curves and terminators.

NOTE: Every road you start must have "Gen. terminator" done for both A and B sides.

You need to tell Visitor which roads you will be using for your project by using: Tools --- Roads ... to define each road piece for the type of road you are using.

If for example I want to use the asf roads:

Tools --- Roads ...

... Add ... enter name of road type ... asf

... Straight Parts Tab ... Browse ... browse to your roads folder in P:\ca and choose the first straight piece you want to use, ... asf6.p3d ... then press the OK button on the next dialog that pops up.

Do the same for the other straight parts you need, usually asf12 and asf25, once you have finished with straight parts, click OK and do the same for the curved parts with the Curves Tab.

Finally the Terminators Tab, you will need to add asf6konec.p3d to this one, this is the road terminator which is used to end a road. i.e. a dead end, cul-de-sac, whatever.

Crossroads are chosen by a similar process on the Crossroads Tab.

Placing the roads on the island requires that you have switched to Road networks from the Panel Of Objects window, once there you can click on the road type, in this case asf and start placing road pieces by clicking on the map window.

Start your road by first placing your chosen start piece from the given list.

When this is done you can click on this piece to start adding straight, curved and crossroad pieces to it as you wish.

Hopefully I explained it well enough for you.

Planck

i had the same problem when i didn't close the roads with the "Gen. terminator" for A and B.

Did you do what i advised you to do?

In the video you are the team leader and your are driving the hummer in the bak, try to use only AIs instead.

can you post a picture of the road network from visitor?

from the info you mentioned, i cant say that you configured the terminator roads.

When you configure the roads you set the "straight parts", "curves" and you also need to configure the "terminator" <s>menu</s> window for the "Gen. terminators".

Check the Road_terminator pic.

To correctly close the roads (A and B) you must use the terminator option after you press "Gen. terminator" (pic above)

edit: typo

I used the gen terminator (with add and no brows option to select part) but the problem still resist...

Be sure that the road models you are using in your p:\ca\roads folder are MLOD format models and not ODOL format (binarized).

Binarized models have some information stripped from them during binarization and therefore do not work properly in Visitor.

Planck

huh.gif my post was not posted, arf!

lets see if my post goes posted again

Plank, im not sure if he could even add the models to visitor if that was the case.

Ok thanks to bravo 6 for his help.

Some parts of the problem is how i selected the road parts when i configured my road network panel.

I always use the browse fonction, but we must use the "Add" fonction.

And the second part of the problem is the proximity of trees or building near road.

Thanks a lot bravo 6

See you

Ah yes, I forgot, the release version of Visitor wouldn't load the ODOL models.

Mind like a seive here.

Planck

Ok problem are dead.... biggrin_o.gif

Thanks to bravo 6 for testing my map. The problem was the "gen terminator " + "texture layers parameters" (5m grrrrrr better with 40 ) wink_o.gif

So, you're telling me that with texture layer of 10x10m AI is unable to drive on roads, despite rightly placed terminators? :)

I'm not confirming as an official information as BIS would do.

It is merely based on what i have experienced.

I experienced it in 512x512, 1024x1024 and 2048x2048 Terrains with texture layer of 10x10m, like you said, and all roads were bugged for me. They could have AIs issues or simply some cuts in the roads in flat ground.

There for if i change the texture layer to 40x40m everything would work better, also the map would run much, but much more smooth without CTD when using maximum View Distance.

Again, it is only based on a year of experience. As you know I'm simply and merely a green noob on this subject.

It is confirmed, I just lost 2 days for testing why AI don't drive on roads, although they were properly terminated... I've noticed you fixed Floosy's roads by changing texture layer and I've tried that. To my amazement AI drove like nascar drivers and finished a 5km road full of tight turns in just 4,5 minutes ;)

Now there's a problem. My satimage is based on 10x10 (5120x5120) image, and of course now its FUBAR. What must I do with satimage, resize it somehow?

Here's my 5120x5120 satimage on 512x512 terrain with 40x40 texture layer setting:

tl40x40_satimage_5120x5120.jpg

Edited by IceBreakr

Why is it fubar?

From what i understand you terrain size is 512x512, correct?

So in Visitor3 Project Parameter:

• terrain grid size: 512x512

• terrain cell size: 10.0

• terrain size (meters):5120.0x5120.0

• texture layer (edit): 40.0x40.0m

• your sat image should be a 5120x5120 Pixels.

edit: your background image .bmp should be 5120x5120 pixels