Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

Freezes

Sometimes I get freezes, don't know why. But the game halts for max 1-2 seconds.

I also get major freezes (but not that often as the minor freezes) that halt the whole system (keyboard, everything), then I have to restart the computer. When this happens I see a frozen in-game menu mouse arrow on-screen. The first minute it responds to keyboard input (num-lock on/off) with a delay of about 15 sec. Almost no CPU load (I have a meter on my motherboard).

Try to set your graphics settings to low. When you see that the game is stable try to crank up the settings more and more.. Maybe also a driver update could help you solve this. Do not really know as I have not experienced this for a while (did that when I used Vista x64, back on XP again)

I lowered my settings but I still have this problem. I have a GTX260. There should be some tool that calculates how much videoram is used for textures, view distance etc. I only have about 900MB. And I guess that max textures and a view distance of 3500 can eat a lot. Games like GTA4 require 2GB for full functionality for example.

But still, I can have those settings without probs in the map editor. This problem doesn't seem to appear in singleplayer. When I ask people they call the minor freezes "lag-spikes". But I think they refer to the situation when all people freeze (but play move-animations on their location). This kind of freeze freezes the screen, you cant look around etc, everything stops.

In the major freeze all this happens + all kind of input stops. Reboot is the only option.

I'll try disabling HW sound acc next, and play in windowed mode.

That appearing in-game menu arrow is also something I don't understand.

Sometimes I get freezes, don't know why. But the game halts for max 1-2 seconds.

I had the same problem with my old 260gtx. I think this card has problems with big explosions.

Quote[/b] ]

I also get major freezes (but not that often as the minor freezes) that halt the whole system (keyboard, everything), then I have to restart the computer. When this happens I see a frozen in-game menu mouse arrow on-screen. The first minute it responds to keyboard input (num-lock on/off) with a delay of about 15 sec.  Almost no CPU load (I have a meter on my motherboard).

Same Problem with Zotac 280 GTX AMP. I get this problem in all sessions(mp&sp) and also sometimes in the missioneditor. Sometimes it works for 2 hours witout a freeze and sometimes it freeze after a few minutes. I dont know why.

After reset windows say its an "device error". I did trying it with 4 or 5 different driver, but the problem are not solved.

Hope Arma II make no problems. Otherwise i sell the ArmA II and hope for OFP II.

Regards Intruder

I use a GTX 260 and have never experienced what you're referring to. I have everything set to Very High and View Distance set to about 3300.

I am using WinXP Pro 32-bit though.

I had problems with explosions and freezes on my 7800GTX. Those seem to have disappeared after I got the 260.

I've tried to run the game in windowed (but maxed res) and without hardware sound acceleration. I haven't had any problems with crashes since that. But the minor freezes appear sometimes.

There could be a problem with my sound card (audigy 2 zs). But it didn't cause any probs on my other comp (I took it from there).

You have to wonder just how many problems are related to sound. It's always blame the game, the video card, the graphics driver, etc., etc. But unless you get a BSOD pointing to a Creative .dll, it's rare that we point to the sound card/drivers.

I've gotten a few hard locks in Arma over the past few months. It's always when I'm in third person view flying a Blackhawk. Though I do fly it A LOT as I'm always towing the MHQ all over the place. I have no idea why I get the lock-ups but I'm not ruling out my sound card.

I guess it's another problem. I changed my main HD a few days ago and reinstalled WinXP pro and ArmA (I was crazy enough to setup a dedicated HD for arma). It freezes everytime I play, sometimes after some minutes of single or multiplay, sometimes when using troops or armor in the mission editor. I changed absolutely nothing to my mat config (c2d, 2gb ram, 9800gt), except the hard disk. I'm still wondering why my new software config (reinstallation of windows and arma) caused so much trouble, 'cause it never happened before...

I read about this (forum searched with "freeze" and "frozen") this could be caused by nvidia card, but as I said, it never froze before and I did not change my gfx card...

If anyone gets an idea... sad_o.gif

hmm, maybe i have found my problem.

I have changed my processor(e6600-e8600) 3 month ago and its possible my mainboard dont like multiplication x10. Also i have seen my mainboard dont support the e8600.

I did change multiplication from x10(3.333GHz) to x9(3.000GHz) and was playing more then 4 hours without a freeze.

But i need more testing this before i can say this was the problem.

Regards Intruder

I guess it's another problem. I changed my main HD a few days ago and reinstalled WinXP pro and ArmA (I was crazy enough to setup a dedicated HD for arma). It freezes everytime I play, sometimes after some minutes of single or multiplay, sometimes when using troops or armor in the mission editor. I changed absolutely nothing to my mat config (c2d, 2gb ram, 9800gt), except the hard disk. I'm still wondering why my new software config (reinstallation of windows and arma) caused so much trouble, 'cause it never happened before...

I read about this (forum searched with "freeze" and "frozen") this could be caused by nvidia card, but as I said, it never froze before and I did not change my gfx card...

If anyone gets an idea...   sad_o.gif

well your new HDD? may be just hitchy, with this game, do you use a CD in the CD drive? all the stuff you should do like update DX,Chipset drivers are up to date? and turn your AV down to "normal"...Some HDDs (samsungF1s) dont like ncq ... will just throwup on themselves...

i've solved my lockup problem by a clean install of the nvidia driver meaning:

-uninstall display driver at software

-reboot

-run driver cleaner for any leftovers

-reboot

-install the latest driver

kklownboy and interal, thanks for your help. I installed beta 1.15 two days ago, and the problem has not occured since then. I didn't play long however, and I hope there won't be a nasty surprise...

Damn! It did happened again. But it might be induced by a specific addon. I'll check it out

Nothing to do with the suspected addon...

I tried now the "cleaning procedure" and reinstalled the gfx driver. Thanks for this specific help interal.

Frozen once again, arghhhh  banghead.gif  It doesn't seem to happen when playing without any addon (to be checked however). There is always an error message regarding my nvidia gfx card driver, although I removed and reinstalled the latest drivers huh.gif

arma.rpt:

Version 1.15.5268

Fault address: 7C91EB94 01:0000DB94 F:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll

Prev. code bytes: 49 00 90 90 90 90 90 8B D4 0F 34 90 90 90 90 90

Fault code bytes: C3 8D A4 24 00 00 00 00 8D 64 24 00 90 90 90 90

Registers:

EAX:10153838 EBX:00000000

ECX:01C29518 EDX:00857A67

ESI:00000000 EDI:00000000

CS:EIP:001B:7C91EB94

SS:ESP:0023:01239A28 EBP:01239A90

DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000

Flags:00000246

===FROZEN====>>>>>>END

Finally i fixed the F%/*ing problem, i hope you got the same because it's just minor. I had ramdom PC freezes/lock ups (like described here) after getting a new ASUS GTX260, X-fi titanium, TFT screen (the old one i used as a second display) and the ASUS R.O.G. Striker II Extreme. I even dedicated one month to get my rig running, because i had issues with voltage etc but after all this shit, everything runned, but Armed Assault kept freezing.

Long story short, i have been playing now for 2 full hours (wasn't possible before) and all i did was changing the "Multi-display/mixed-GPU" acceleration from "Multiple display performace mode" to "Compatibility performance mode" in the "NVIDIA Control Panel/Manage 3D Settings" and voila, no more freezes...(i got to this because i checked all the new hardware, my screen was the last thing and it runned well in window mode) I hope it stays that way, it wasn't just an coincidence and it works for others too!

Good night!

Edit:Guess what... crashed again!

Edit again: But it seems to be far better now. ArmA doesen't like my two screens i think...

Edit Edit Edit: All theories fail, only working thing is widowed

Edited by Ra!dar