Sign in to follow this  
kalasnikov471

Alpha Channel Tutorial - Released

Hello everyone yay.gif

I always get people asking me to make them the alpha channel in their pictures and so on so I decided to write this easy to follow tutorial how to add an Alpha channel to a picture and then convert it to .paa. It's in .PDF format so you will need Adobe Reader to open it. I am also translating this tutorial in to Czech and should release it in the next cuple of days.

Download link:

http://files.filefront.com/Alpha+channelpdf/;12849589;/fileinfo.html

Also see my site for more stuff: www.ofpbase.co.nr

Please tell me if made any mistakes etc...

Nice, a couple of tricks for alpha layer making:

If you are making a complex shape or has fading/different amounts of transparency in the same texture like a ironsight reticle make a black background and make a copy of you reticle, if you are using multible layers merge the copies and under "layer styles" use color overlay and change it to white.

Now you should have a black and white picture. Mark all of the texture and "copy merge", now go to the Alpha layer and "copy paste" you should now have a transparency texture as detailed as the original texture.

Somtimes its also a good idear to just leave complete main texture in a single color and just have the Alpha layer make the details. Like a BIS reticle its often just black when you not viewing the the alpha layer which has all the dertail.

STGN

well done!

please send it to OFPEC as well smile_o.gif

It's in .PDF format so you will need Adobe Reader to open it.

Thank god no. Foxit is a lighter alternative:

<s>http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php</s>

Sigh, that has started to bloat too... Get the old version like 1.3 or 2.0:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=foxit

As PDF reader was unfortunately not stable enough with large PDF and that the later version called foxit began to come with more bloats, i reverted back some month ago to Acrobat Reader 5.05.

It was the last good version of the Adobe software, as quick as PDF reader to open a PDF and way more stable when reading large PDF, and without the bloat and heavy slowdown of all the later versions of Adobe Reader (as they ceased to call it Acrobat due to the slowness of it biggrin_o.gif ) .

Give it a try if your computer can run this old 5.05 and you will be surprised (just ignore messages about the reader being outdatetd in comparison to the PDF, it reads them fine)

Quote[/b] ]As PDF reader was unfortunately not stable enough with large PDF and that the later version called foxit began to come with more bloats, i reverted back some month ago to Acrobat Reader 5.05.

It was the last good version of the Adobe software, as quick as PDF reader to open a PDF and way more stable when reading large PDF, and without the bloat and heavy slowdown of all the later versions of Adobe Reader (as they ceased to call it Acrobat due to the slowness of it ) .

Give it a try if your computer can run this old 5.05 and you will be surprised (just ignore messages about the reader being outdatetd in comparison to the PDF, it reads them fine)

Yeah I remember the good old Acrobat Reader smile_o.gif but now I use Adobe Reader 8 and it works just fine and quick even with lagre .pdf files icon_rolleyes.gif