Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

High Ping Kick

Anyone have any suggestions on implementing some form of high ping kick for ARMA servers?

The two suggestions I have so far are:

- block overseas IP address ranges

- use firewall to block specified low TTL values

Just out of interest, what are your reasons for kicking high pings? If it's because its pvp and they're warpy, then fine I guess. But I do hate those high ping witch hunts where the majority of players think that people with high pings somehow cause lag for everyone else. It's an internet gaming myth and I cringe everytime the calls for "Kick x! He has a high ping and is causing lag!" start.

Just out of interest, what are your reasons for kicking high pings?  If it's because its pvp and they're warpy, then fine I guess.  But I do hate those high ping witch hunts where the majority of players think that people with high pings somehow cause lag for everyone else.  It's an internet gaming myth and I cringe everytime the calls for "Kick x! He has a high ping and is causing lag!" start.

I'll 2nd that..

Until few weeks ago I was stuck with dialup which gave 200-250 ping to our Aust server with descyn being the norm & OS servers out of the question. Now I have 2way Sat (512/128) & ping to our server is 1000 but is smooth as,GOL server in UK 1400+ ping & no descyn,dialup would have higher ping & be unplayable. I get same local UK whingers saying my ping is causing lag but thats crap or the admin would kick me. Which leads me to next point, recently a local (Aust) public server (GamingSA.com) must have implemented something like this because I get now kicked on joining,my ping was around 1000 but doesnt lag,seems they think Im on the moon instead of 300km away. I find it ridiculous that my connection works fine from Aust to UK servers but a local Aust server says ping is too high,fook off..

Not everyone lives next door to their exchange & has 100mb.

I suppose people have the right to do whatever with their own Server but I dont agree with ping limits.  banghead.gif

Compare Overseas Internet to Aus--- sad_o.gif

Aus Service providers have to inforce  the +250 " were sorry you have to leave", because of the poor bandwidth provided country wide. And for Aussies to play untouched Overseas is the simple fact there great Goverments focused on modern technology for there Internet. Now with 1.15beta things could change and have it open for all, but then again Hacking seems to come from OS more than in house from my experience. mad_o.gif

Which leads me to next point, recently a local (Aust) public server (GamingSA.com) must have implemented something like this because I get now kicked on joining,my ping was around 1000 but doesnt lag,seems they think Im on the moon instead of 300km away. I find it ridiculous that my connection works fine from Aust to UK servers but a local Aust server says ping is too high,fook off..

Not everyone lives next door to their exchange & has 100mb.

I suppose people have the right to do whatever with their own Server but I dont agree with ping limits.  banghead.gif

We have turned on verifySignatures on all the servers with the release of 1.15 patch.

So i would say you are trying to join the ACE servers, you need the ACE mod.

What name do you use and i'll check the logs.

You tried joining the public server which is No Mods:

21:19:49 [RM] Sgt Snipe [40ACoy] uses modified data file - CA;beta;@ACE;@ACE-Islands

Counldn't find you in the other servers logs.

Just noticed you have been trying to join the servers:

21:08:10 Player [RM] Sgt Snipe [40ACoy]: Signature check timed out

there's not anything i can do about that problem you have, sorry m8.

When does the timeout happen? While hes connecting or after hes been playing for a while?

If its while connecting, he could try sitting at role select for a few minutes before hitting OK, so the signature check can happen *before* his connection gets flooded with receiving mission.

If its while playing, well - I think most servers turn off the regularcheck that happens during play because it simply kicks too many people and one check at the start of the game is enough to foil most hackers.

When does the timeout happen? While hes connecting.

If its while connecting, he could try sitting at role select for a few minutes before hitting OK, so the signature check can happen *before* his connection gets flooded with receiving mission.

it happens when he connecting.

Yes when connecting,I dont get in at all, just sit @ wait for host for mins till I get booted with same different error messages depending on which of your servers I join.

Sometimes my name appears right of screen @ players only in red not green but I never get to see other players listed,always booted before then. Tried many times in last 24hrs but always the same,any other Aust or OS server it connects to fine. Doesnt matter if your servers are empty or 20 people playing still takes forever trying to connect.

I can join your passworded server but none of the publics ?

GSA Public 1.15 with vanilla 1.15 = Connection with host lost.

GSA ACE server 1 with vanilla ACE = Session lost or Kicked from game.

GSA ACE server 2 with vanilla ACE = Session lost.

GSA Bookable with vanilla ACE = Joins no problems.

Any ideas,its damn frustrating..  confused_o.gif

Notice you testing today:

This is from the rpt for GSA ACE server 1:  

Quote[/b] ]NetServer::SendMsg: cannot find channel #1482116386, users.card=15

NetServer: users.get failed when sending to 1482116386

Message not sent - error 0, message ID = ffffffff, to 1482116386 ([RM] Sgt Snipe [40ACoy])

NetServer::SendMsg: cannot find channel #1482116386, users.card=15

Message not sent - error 0, message ID = ffffffff, to 1482116386 ([RM] Sgt Snipe [40ACoy])

These have verifySignatures on:

Quote[/b] ]

GSA Public 1.15 with vanilla 1.15 = Connection with host lost.

GSA ACE server 1 with vanilla ACE = Session lost or Kicked from game.

GSA ACE server 2 with vanilla ACE = Session lost.

This has verifySignatures off:

Quote[/b] ]GSA Bookable with vanilla ACE = Joins no problems.

Maybe your arma is corrupt or something wrong with your internet?

Add:

Quote[/b] ]onDifferentData = "{}";

onHackedData = "{}";

to your server config file and there will be no random kicking or, if signature check timeout will occur.