Sign in to follow this  
Lepardi

Negative mouse acceleration in ArmA

Hey,

This issue has been in ArmA since the release, but never was a problem in OFP. It totally ruins the feel of the mouse and aiming in ArmA. When you move the mouse slowly with your wrist, you might end up doing a 360 turn, but when you quicly flick the mouse the character will turn some 45 or 90 degrees at max.

The aiming should be based on how you move the mouse, this huge negative acceleration effectively ruins the gameplay in ArmA. It's so wrong, please fix it!

Edit: Video link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6FSYMEJuA&fmt=18

Mine doesnt and has never done that.It takes alot to "whip" my character around

Maybe try disable acceleration in windows mouse properties?

same here, as the matter of fact i have no idea what the problem is about

Eh? I don't see why would the negative accel only occur on my PC and not yours.

Just try, open up the editor and spawn as a rifleman. Move your mouse really slowly as much as you can with your wrist, and then do the same but as fast as you can. You will definitely not turn the same distance, but like half of it. It feels horrible when trying to aim something.

I have the float box turned off and Y sensitivity doubled so it's as fast as X sensitivity...

you mean the turn rate limitation?

i do get limited turn rate if i try to turn very fast, its done intentionally by BI if i am not mistaken, your turning rate will also decrease when in 3rd persion, but i dont get the hyperspeed turn with tiny mouse movement as you said

I guess some of you play at super high sensitivities then, not requiring any speed at all to move the mouse, therefore not experiencing any negative acceleration? It's really an issue if you play at low/medium sensitivities.

If there are enemies coming on my flank and I want to get them, I have to really slowly move the sights to not have the negative accel messing it up and I'm dead before it's even half way there.

Then if I try to quickly get my sights on the enemies it doesn't go where I want it to go. It slows down for no reason at all... and finally when I get my sights on the enemies it speeds up throwing my aim all over the place... why would anyone implement anything gameplay ruining like this in a game? It must be a bug. It needs a fix.

I think I know what you mean, actually, although I don't see it as a big problem myself.

I haven't changed the mouse sensitivity at all, even before release, but I found playing with the floating zone improved my game. As it is, I have a small floating window of about 4cm which works well for me. Also, whilst in ArmA it does take longer to fix a target compared to other games, I see this as more realistic.

One thing that might help: Create a trigger that's setacctime 0.3 or something, and turn around. I found when doing this that the weapon moved slowly in the floating zone, but when it reached the edge it moved far quicker. Is it that the differing of the two sensitivities (for the floating zone and turning around) that could be awkward in your game?

Can you make and post a short movie showing the problem cause I don't know what you're referring to?

I have the float zone turned off completely. I've always wondered if I used it - and got used to it - if it would actually improve my game...???

I think I know what you say, however like SaBrE_UK said that didnt seems to be a problem for me

as the matter of fact I have to move my mouse unreasonablily fast and long distance(from one end to another end of the mouse pad) to creat the problem, and i am having the X and Y axis and my windows mouse movement setting at the middle.

Dunno, maybe extensive use of Photoshop helps with super high sensitivities sniping mouse movement? icon_rolleyes.gif

I guess it's something I just got used to, if indeed it is something that affects everyone.

i do get limited turn rate if i try to turn very fast, its done intentionally by BI if i am not mistaken, your turning rate will also decrease when in 3rd persion, but i dont get the hyperspeed turn with tiny mouse movement as you said

I think this is your problem.

Depending on the weapon you have got in your hands the speed with which you can turn is limited. When you move your mouse faster than the limit you still turn the same amount but for a shorter time until you stop giving input to the game.

Try it with a machinegun or even an AT launcher, it will be even more noticeable.

I think this is your problem.

Depending on the weapon you have got in your hands the speed with which you can turn is limited. When you move your mouse faster than the limit you still turn the same amount but for a shorter time until you stop giving input to the game.

Try it with a machinegun or even an AT launcher, it will be even more noticeable.

maybe, but as long as i simply dont need to use the hold surface of the mouse pad, there is no problem for me at all