Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

WW1 Mod Expansion Pack

@ All : thanks again.

About desert map, i'm not planning to make one but i'm looking for good ones...Pictures you see are taken on "africa 1942" map, I like the desert part of Texel island but it's more a "tropical" one (and modern). Afganistan islands don't suite to a Palestine map (too many mountains), and Sinai / Irak ones (from lobo) are much too modern...

@ diggin.robat : didn't get your PM. BI Forum private message system isn't working well.

Those units look fantastic!, I think the FDF mod desert expansion map would go well with these units, there are a number of old desert maps such as "Dunes" and "A2 Island" which gave you nothing but an expanse of desert, with a little Wrpediting/tooling you could add some nice objects to these and reconfig them/retexture them with resistance desert textures (as they still use CWC one's I believe).

I might have a go at this myself and make a few period style Middle eastern buildings (and of course sand trenches), if I get around to it that is, im incredably lazy these days. At the least I guess i'll release a sand entrenchment addon to go along with them, might aswell remove the ground textures too as you can't really tell in the desert

Sand1.jpg

Yep, added some German U-Boat sailors to the nice mine layer U-Boat made by Shinkansen (already released in the first pack) :

ww1sub.jpg

It's sad that we haven't more WWI ships, even not fully working, it could add a great atmosphere (like Gallipoli landing party) or new targets for the planes...I know Shinkansen made a few of them, but i think he's lost them : Look at this picture, or look at this other one. It's sad that we don't have these ones !

No news for the WW2 Balloons i wanted to modify in WWI observation ones, the authors seem to have disappeared, despite Fab from WWIIEC trying to contact them.

And added a config.bin file to the mod to get rid of the radio voices (as in Sanctuary's GRAA or WW4mod) which are badly slowing the game (and not realistic in WWI) ;

And added a resource.bin to have a WWI GUI.

Edited to add some old Shinkansen pictures links.

Wow.. Awesome job Prof! I'm happy to see you've expanded to include the German Navy.

This mod has so far covered more fronts than I had imagined!

Yep, added some German U-Boat sailors to the nice mine layer U-Boat made by Shinkansen (already released in the first pack) :

It's sad that we haven't more WWI ships, even not fully working, it could add a great atmosphere (like Gallipoli landing party) or new targets for the planes...I know Shinkansen made a few of them, but i think he's lost them : Look at this picture, or look at this other one. It's sad that we don't have these ones !

If you don't need something accurate to a real thing, or very detailled, i could try to complete this lego-like generic warship for you , far from shinkansen reproduction of those dreadnought and HMS-boats but as a target or static could be fun :

fk2ueg.gif

5un3tx.gif

153mwj7.gif

textures not really being my domain at all, i doubt i will be able to get something "good looking".

@ Sanctuary : yes, you're very welcome, that would be a nice addition  yay.gif

Wachtmeester, who released some times ago a VERY nice fokkers pack (featuring several fokkers Dr1, E3 and D7, with a lot of variations, including Goering plane ! ) allows me to re-release it and to adapt it to the WW1 mod (armor, scripts, pilots).

I can't believe i called this mod a "minimod" at the beginning...but i didn't expect that so many people will help me (50% of the readme file is a "credits and thanks" list...). That's what we call a community spirit !

I tried to add a bit more cubes here and there biggrin_o.gif , it think it looks a bit better as a silhouette now :

33mab68.jpg

2ldo1s.gif

You wants static turrets, or separate ones that you can setpos in mission editing on the boat itself to have them manned ?

If the latter, the boat will not be able to move it will just stay there as a static object, as constantly setposing the turrets with script on the warship so it follows the ship moves would be a bit too much performance intensive in my opinon.

Now if you want the warship to be able to move, only 1 turret will really exist (as OFP a boat/vehicle can only have 1 real turret), the other will just be for "show".

The advantage of this is that the turret would be player manned without a problem or any setpos necessary.

Well, in the old time i used a setpos script with a ship to add 14 canons to Philcommando sailingship that i modified for my Napoleonic mod :

14navy14vg.jpg

But i think that for this kind of WWI ship, one working turret at the front should be enough...and more simple to handle in the game...so i'll vote for the second choice !

By the way, the ship is looking VERY nice !

Well, as i said, textures are definitively not something i am comfortable with, and it shows biggrin_o.gif

But at least there is only 1 texture for the whole warship.

clipboard01iiv.jpg

If we've got some big ships, we'll need some transport ships to have a few landing parties : i did modify one of my Napoleonic ships to make it look like some of the Gallipoli's landing ships :

ww1ship.jpg

Notice the explosion behind : it's the RDS artillery barrage script that takes into account the water... i definitely love these scripts...(put one of RDS gamelogic in the water and you'll see).

About warship size, what size do you want this generic old warship to be ? I have stricly no idea on how big or small it should be for your mod ?

But i clearly remember in OFP there is a problem with vehicles and their geometry/fire geometry lod when the vehicle is over a certain size, but i don't remember which one.

We will have to make sure the size is not beyond that limit or the ship will be useless for combat.

If i can , i will try to get a second badly painted "texture" , so you could have a generic warship for both side of the war.

The size of the cruisers was between 100 and 200 meters long, but i've read that maximum size in OFP to have working geo / path lods is 64 x 64 meters. So let's have a 60 meters long ship !

I knew those dazzle camouflages, they weren't real camouflage but were meant to confuse enemy gunners, as they didn't use any computers to shoot at their targets !

Quote[/b] ]The size of the cruisers was between 100 and 200 meters long, but i've read that maximum size in OFP to have working geo / path lods is 64 x 64 meters. So let's have a 60 meters long ship !

I knew those dazzle camouflages, they weren't real camouflage but were meant to confuse enemy gunners, as they didn't use any computers to shoot at their targets !

Thanks, will try to get it 60 meters long.

An attempt of a dazzle "camo" :

clipboard01t.jpg

Super. This is super. I hope, this Expansion pack will release soon. What else do you plan Prof? Do you make some Legion (czechoslovakian fo example)?

Hi,

@DespairsRay : well, i'm currently working on some of the requests you made to me by mail (sorry didn't answer, but RL is taking 98% of my free time...and it's getting worse) :

- added : a stretcher (a vehicle with a cargo position on the stretcher and two bearers including the "driver") and a stretcher script similar to those I included in Napoleonic or Cwmod (a script launchable in missions immobilizes some woundeds - make them captive and make them play randomly the lying-healing animation -, then when the mission maker wants to, the stretcher picks up the wounded and bring them to an hospital). Not perfect but nice to see.

- added : based on the stretcher principle, carryable HMG (maxim, hotchkiss, vikcers, schwarzlose) by two men : once one of the men "disembarks" or dies, the "vehicle" featuring the carriable HMG disappears and the standard HMG appears, one of the men "boarding" it. So it's only deployable once, but that a nice addition two.

- waiting : for the concertina model you wanted me to look at...

- next : stoke's mortar and minenerfer.

- No Japanese units planned ATM, should i make some ?

@Sanctuary : love your ship. Any update ?

@Flashpointman : the expansion pack will be released in the next month, dunno when, surely before july. No legion planned ATM. Should i make some ?

Any changes or new features in the last time?

I made some changes here and there, worked on missions, added the stokes mortar, received Sanctuary ships (thanks a lot :bounce3:), and thought about adding some more tanks (French ones, maybe Saint Chamond).

Very interesting design! Although menacing I can see its' weak points

Salut ProfTournesol, what's situation report on WWI expansion pack. When we can expect initial relase?

As soon as i can. But i will. I try to find some motivation, but RL and finding a new rig to handle ArmA2 take my free time ATM.