Sign in to follow this  
Philljc

Never had so much trouble in my life.

My trouble begins the day ARMA was released. I bought it online at a site in Germany. It all worked well back then, right up until I was only allowed to 'install it 3 times'. What a joke. I tried to contact the company to get them to do something about it, but never got any replies.

So getting a new computer a few weeks back I though, screw it, I'll download it. I bought it, I deserve to be able to play it. So I tried that and it worked a treat, no problems. Ah, but then I turned into a bird. *Furious* I then went to eBay and bought the gold edition from another country.

My gold edition arrived yesterday, all sealed and new. I installed it, applied the 1.14 patch and tried to play.

- Black screen.

- Limited my 8GB ram to 3072MB, Set -512maxmem and restarted.

- Tried again, it worked. Set my GFX options to all max, except view distance.

Played for a minute maybe then it crashed. Then I tried like 15 more times and guess what, it crashed. Never in my life have I had such trouble with a game. Why the downloaded version with 1.14 works better, I have no idea. All the crashes relate to memory issues.

But its a joke. How can you work on ARMA 2 without even cleaning up your old crappy code? I'm not the only one, there are countless threads out there relating to the issue.

Vista X64

4870X2

8GB Ram

E8500

1TB HD

To say the least I am not happy, I have 2 versions of the game. $79 the first time, and $50 the second. Only to not be able to play either.

Edit: By the way, I know downloading it isn't allowed, but if you want proof I have both versions so I can get some help, I can provide it.

As I have found out the hard way, alot of crashes can be hardware related.

What is your monitor resolution? Do you really need 8GB ram?

First - cooling. Video card, all parts of motherboard, ram modules, cpu...

Second - power supply. Your voltage rails should be almost perfect. Check with a multimeter in a Molex connector. Be careful.

Third - bios settings, particularly concerning the RAM. Try folding@home. Try benchmark programs. Try known stable games like Microsoft FSX. Look for crashes in all of these.

Any overclocking? If so, go back to more generous/stable settings and see if that works. ArmA will crash easily if there is any memory instability.

I've heard about the blackscreen with Vista x64 with too much memory... do a search for it... cant remember if its resolved yet or if they'll have more work done on it for the next patch.

Its 100% stable on my system... only problem I have is my finicky powersupply shuts my computer down at random times when I play intense 3d games sad_o.gif

Yes I need the ram, I need it for 3D programs and for work.

Its 1920 x 1200 - 24"

The computer is efficiently cooled. Its a HAF 932 case.

No overclocking. Its all stock.

Sorry guys, but I'm not really like alot of other people. I know how it all works, and I know my equipment is fine. I tried all the memory work-arounds but nothing is working.

And like I said a lot of other people are in the same situation. Patches promised to fix these memory problems yet none of them do. Every single other game I have works a treat.

And because there is no fix for it, it'll fall on deaf ears and thats the end of it. I'm going to try and download it again, and use my serial from the Gold version I bought and see if that works. If it doesn't, I can't see myself buying the next Armed assault.

I've never even had a chance to play through it.

Ok then I think:

1.You are running into a bug in Arma or the video driver involving having 8GB of RAM

Understandable since it is a rare configuration

2.You still have not got the memory stable enough

Sometimes memory sucks so much that you have to tweak it to even get it to run at the rated speed.

Could you try the game with only 4 gigs of RAM physically in the computer?

I know you said you "limited" the RAM but that could still be a problem if you did it through software or the BIOS.

Try different drivers for your graphics card, make sure other drivers are updated.

I once had major crashing issues and found out it was due to the graphics drivers I was using.

There is a chance it's a hardware issue, ArmA seems to be much more sensitive to stability issues including overclocking. It was the only game that I had to drop my GFX cards clock settings back to stock for after a few years at running it at those speeds confused_o.gif

Ahh. Now the original ARMA download installs, but the QG add on fails to install.

Are there American and Euro versions of QG?

Are there American and Euro versions of QG?

Not as far as im aware.

But its a joke. How can you work on ARMA 2 without even cleaning up your old crappy code? I'm not the only one, there are countless threads out there relating to the issue.

Vista X64

4870X2

8GB Ram

E8500

1TB HD

.... That's bleeding-edge technology for you!

While this post is not related to the topic, it is funny how first people cry about the crappy perfomance, which is due to hardware limitation, and after they finally solve the "old hardware" problem, they are facing the another problem, the stuff you brought is too "new" for the game to run properly.

Well, also, I think ArmA has done better than Stalker Clear Sky, just think about it:

Game doesn't even work properly on ATI cards, the ingame AI scripts doesn't even start sometimes just for no-reason particular.

And the list of issues just go on and on.

Oh yeah, and did I mention that the developers don't exactly give any troubleshoot-help to the english community/doesn't read english part of their forums?

STALKER worse? No way. I got all the way through Clear Sky. I can't even play this game for 10 seconds, literally, without a random memory crash.

Quote of myself from the Vista troubleshooting....

Quote[/b] ]I believe Suma has stated somewhere...the ONLY fix for the large memory ATI cards, was to run ArmA in windowed mode.

Does that not work for you?

Don't fret none, I went many months before I could enable SLI, which was Nvidia/Vista problem, not ArmA.

In the beginning, I could use all 4gig mem, but then patches and drivers put me back to half of my memory.

1.14 & 17*.** drivers has my ArmA playing perfect. It might have taken a year, but it's been worth the wait.

wink_o.gif

Well, also, I think ArmA has done better than Stalker Clear Sky, just think about it:

Game doesn't even work properly on ATI cards

I run Stalker Clear Sky on an ATI 4870 and it runs very well, looks splendid also smile_o.gif

I run Stalker Clear Sky on an ATI 4870 and it runs very well, looks splendid also smile_o.gif

You got the DX10 effects, camouflage "shades"*, and the fence textures all working perfectly?

More information about that ATI-Clear Sky bug

(Uhm... What are those things actually called? You know, the things in the clear sky base, the "things" that you can put on your vehicle in order to hide it and on your positions in order to give better camouflage? No, I'm not kidding, I've just never heard the word and I don't even remember hearing it in finnish either, thus I just have no clue what are those "camo-things" called. And yeah, I'm sorry for the offtopic-poist, but the camouflage-name-thing problem is just bugging me too much.)

You got the DX10 effects, camouflage "shades"*, and the fence textures all working perfectly?

(Uhm... What are those things actually called? You know, the things in the clear sky base, the "things" that you can put on your vehicle in order to hide it and on your positions in order to give better camouflage? No, I'm not kidding, I've just never heard the word and I don't even remember hearing it in finnish either, thus I just have no clue what are those "camo-things" called. And yeah, I'm sorry for the offtopic-poist, but the camouflage-name-thing problem is just bugging me too much.)

Oh I'm not foolish enough to have Vista on my PC, I run XP64 wink_o.gif

Camouflage netting?

ogcamnet.jpg

"Never had so much trouble in my life"

yeah... me too

in december 2006 i bought PC better than requirements written on box, all was quite-good untill 1.05 sad_o.gif

since 1.05 till 1.08 game was taotally unplayable due to CTD and other things, i was not touching game sad_o.gif

1.08 all was working good,

1.14 AI is not getting into vehicles and game was not playable and i had to buy new VGA , with new VGA it works, but... single mission with me as teamleader is impossible

Scrim netting?

1.You are running into a bug in Arma or the video driver involving having 8GB of RAM

Understandable since it is a rare configuration

In theory, there should be no reason why someone with a large amount of RAM will suffer crashes because of that fact. With the way RAM prices drop all the time, its only a matter of time before 8GB of RAM stops becoming a "rare configuration". Hopefully by then we will either have a fix or have ArmA 2 tounge2.gif