Sign in to follow this  
iLL

plane thrust with joystick?

Yep this is one of the worst changes from OFP to ArmA, we have had to put up with it since the release of ArmA as it was changed for OFP Elite for XBOX crazy_o.gif

Another thing which should be fixed is afterburner for planes that have afterburning engines, there's no point including planes that have afterburning engines if you cannot even control it. I've mentioned this in another thread, simply have AB kick in at around 95%+ throttle... I'd go even further by adding a simple throttle control slider to the game UI which shows the current throttle position.

Keyboard or button users could simply hold up or down on the throttle for the slider to move, the longer you hold the button the more it will move, this is a simple solution that works good on a flight sim/game I have for the old Dreamcast which makes ArmA fixed wing aircraft physics look pretty average.

Another thing which should be fixed is afterburner for planes that have afterburning engines, there's no point including planes that have afterburning engines if you cannot even control it. I've mentioned this in another thread, simply have AB kick in at around 95%+ throttle...

Afterburner is a completely different issue to this thread. You are asking a for a completely new feature. And one that has no real use in a game where the map is not even 25km from one side to the other.

Quote[/b] ] there's no point including planes that have afterburning engines if you cannot even control it.

So they must not model modern vehicles in the game just because they can't include every feature they have? In that case they would have to dump every vehicle in ArmA.

Quote[/b] ]I'd go even further by adding a simple throttle control slider to the game UI which shows the current throttle position.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but there is a working thrust indicator for the A10(instrument panel). Although if you watch it, it just shows you the problem that this thread is about  confused_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Keyboard or button users could simply hold up or down on the throttle for the slider to move, the longer you hold the button the more it will move, this is a simple solution that works good on a flight sim/game I have for the old Dreamcast which makes ArmA fixed wing aircraft physics look pretty average.

I've seen that in several games. It would IMO be a better way to control aircraft for keyboard users. They would need that UI indicator that you mentioned. But that's probably something for the ArmA 2 wish-list.

Quote[/b] ]Afterburner is a completely different issue to this thread. You are asking a for a completely new feature. And one that has no real use in a game where the map is not even 25km from one side to the other.

No real use in the game? I can think of 2 situations where it's needed.

1) Taking off.

2) Close dog fights using guns where the thrust is needed to keep your speed in tight turns, I've used it many times in OFP. Huge maps are not needed for such dog fights, even the size of Desert Island in OFP was big enough for this.

Quote[/b] ]So they must not model modern vehicles in the game just because they can't include every feature they have? In that case they would have to dump every vehicle in ArmA.

I'm not asking for every feature, but when you cannot include one of the main features that modern fighter planes use in combat whats the point, might aswell stick to combat aircraft that dont use such engines. It's really such a simple feature to add, addon aircraft have had it for years in OFP... we just need it to be added properly without having to use the action menu etc.

No real use in the game? I can think of 2 situations where it's needed...

That does not make it any different to any other feature request like countermeasures, FLIR, and so on. It's worth suggesting for ArmA 2 but it's unlikely to be added in an ArmA patch at this stage.

It is also not part of the problem that this thread is about.

All that's left now is to wait and see if a developer replies here. I think it's clear that anybody who has an opinion on the issue would like the throttle control to be changed, so it's up to the developers now smile_o.gif

The whole physic in flying is wrong, the faster you are, the tighter curves you can fly in ArmA, that´s not realistic, i hope they fixed it in ArmA II, dont think that we will ever get a realistic flight feeling in ArmA.

Still patiently waiting for analogue throttle to make a return :cry2::depressed::hang::D

Ideally whats needed is a better setup page for the axis and also multicontroller support so there needs to be a page that has a both from which you can select the joystick and then assign its axis. As it is with a Cougar Hotas and Saitek rudder pedals only the Cougar is detected.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

What drives me crazy is that for helicopter collective, you push forward on your joystick to ascend, and pull back to descend, backwards from OFP. I wish they would include separate axis settings for fixed wing and helicopter aircraft.

That can be fixed in the setup page use + or - for the same axis but reverse to what is shown when the axis was detected.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

The whole physic in flying is wrong, the faster you are, the tighter curves you can fly in ArmA, that´s not realistic, i hope they fixed it in ArmA II, dont think that we will ever get a realistic flight feeling in ArmA.

Actually I find helicopters to be quite good I wish that the A-10 and other fixed wing aircraft were more like LOMACs level of complexity and FM detail. Its possible but would require a separate program for aircraft as it is its still better than nothing.