Sign in to follow this  
hit-man

Arma 1.14 memory usage

Hi,

i know there are some other (older) topics about it. However, what is your current Arma using system memory ? Why is it only about 300 MB ? Believing "Ati Tray Tool", it uses up to 550 MB of the page file ? That would unnecessarily slow it down ?

thanks

gam

my rig:

Conroe865PE - C2D E6600 @2520 - FSB280 - ThermalRight SI-128 - 2GB GSkill DDR400 2.3.3.5 - HIS Radeon HD3850 IceQ 3 Turbo  - Cinergy XS - Audigy SE - Enermax ELT500AWT - IBM CRT 21" -  XPhome

You asked a wide open question.

To many scenario's to change "actual usage".

i.e...OS's, SP/MP, small/medium/large mission, ect ect.

I have plenty of memory, so none of the above effects me. ("no slow down, as you asked")

I've seen my game use anywhere from 200-420, but I use task manager to view the memory usage.

Some people go as far as disabling swapfile (note that some programs need pagefile ..photoshop being one of them)

Thanks guys,

i searched the web for this and it seems that the game now only uses up to 450 MB max. Afaik this is strange for such a big computergame. Most people have about 2 Gigs only for the big game that use lots of the Ram, beside a good videocard ?

swap is usually for the stuff game don't want and need in memory but considers 'faster' available than game data files ...

if game needed that data in memory it would be in memory or VRAM ...

I've tested it without the pagefile, don't really feel a difference. As you may know, the minimum specs are at least 512MB Ram. I'm curious if the game would gain some significant fps if more system-ram would be used ?

i think as of the 1.14, they Limit the RAM/memory so as to stay in the 3gig barrier of XP32 and Vista32.

It also gave me more video ram usage on my GX2,  200~  to now 470mb~, which helped alot but i still would crash out on veryhigh settings.  My new 4870x2 with 1gig of ram is 680mb~.

OH, and if i remember right , before 1.14 i would us around 700mb system RAM, and may have seen a 800+.... cant find any logs for it...

i think as of the 1.14, they Limit the RAM/memory so as to stay in the 3gig barrier of XP32 and Vista32.

That barrier is broken, BIS did it. wink_o.gif

Edit:

Look here.

Why should they talk about a 3 Gig barrier, when it's using less than 512MB Ram ? Correct me if i'm wrong, but afaik if the System-Ram (together with Vram) would be better used (part as vram ?), this would have significant impact on the overall performance.

Anyone here with a higher usage ?

it didnt before the patch's(1.11,1.12,1.14?) it was higher usage, i believe i saw 800mb usage...? but that is not the game's issue, the barrier is a Windows.. no a 32bit OS barrier, and the Vram is part of that. Well every device has a memory foot print, that adds up to what Windows 32bits can us, and then the ability to access free ram ect...