Sign in to follow this  
R. Gerschwarzenge

Ofp with 3d glasses

Did you know that if you cross your eyes (as if you were gonna look at those "Magic 3D" patterns in those books) while looking at the stereo capture pic, you can actually see it in 3D?

I'm not kidding... honest!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (morbid @ Mar. 04 2002,18:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been trying to order elsa 3d-revelator glasses online and can't find them anywhere sad.gif

Where'd you get yours?<span id='postcolor'>

ELSA has filed for bankruptcy, that might explain why it is difficult to get their products right now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 02 2002,21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's one stereo picture. It does not look as good as it does when playing but it gives you some idea what it looks like.

ofpstereo2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm, I can't even see the difference between these two pics !!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 03 2002,21:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Still can't see a thing biggrin.gif

Srrrrryyy<span id='postcolor'>

1. Look at the white vertical line separating the 2 pictures.

2. Slowly cross your eyes, relax them, until you can see 3 blurry images. Don't worry, they will appear to be 50% the size of what is actually on screen.

3. Slowly allow your eyes to NATURALLY focus on the middle image, let the picture become sharp.

4. That's it...once the centre pic is sharp and in focus, that's the 3D one... observe the sky... it seems to be FARTHER away eh? The soldier's shoulder also appears nearer to you than his head...

Don't worry if you can't see it at first...takes a little practice...

I checked out the elsas too. The problem is, these things usually require the latest drivers and with Elsa discontinuing their model, i wanted a company with full tech support. Good thing, because I had a minor issue with the original drivers I had installed and called edimensional at 2 am and got a live person who got me up and running right away. granted you pay a little more, but sometimes its worth it. just my two cents

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (williek @ April 04 2002,06:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I checked out the elsas too.  The problem is, these things usually require the latest drivers and with Elsa discontinuing their model, i wanted a company with full tech support.<span id='postcolor'>

But the good thing is that they work with the Nvidia stereo drivers. So if you have a gfx card that can use Detonator drivers then you can use the Elsa Revelators with it. The Revelators basically work just like the Edimensional glasses.

Ah, now it works, thanks a lot Elite biggrin.gif

Yes, it is impressive, perhaps i'll buy one of these things.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ April 04 2002,20:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah, now it works, thanks a lot Elite biggrin.gif

Yes, it is impressive, perhaps i'll buy one of these things.<span id='postcolor'>

No problem.... if you're interested there's loads more 3D Images you can view using the same method here... well, at least until you get your own set of 3D glasses... hehehhe!

http://www.stereovision.net/toxicx/start_shots.htm

Have fun!

I bought myself a pair of the EDimensional glasses too. While the depth perception very cool, there are other annoying factors you should take into account before buying these.

1. It is impossible to aim accurately with the iron sight. The iron sight is positionned in front of your nose instead of your firing-arm-side eye. If you close your right eye to line up the target with the sights, you are garanteed to miss. If you keep both eyes open, and focus on the target, the sight will appear in double vision. If you focus on the iron sights with both eyes, the target appears in double vision.

2. The frame rate drops when you are in the woods. It's even worse if you look though a sniper sight towards the woods. This is on a P3 1Ghz system. Maybe higher-end systems don't have this problem.

3. Smoke and light glare are rendered as 2D objects at screen depth, which appear in double vision when you focus at the source.

My glasses are now collecting dust because of these problems. They work, the problem is that there is too much 2D crap at screen depth in today's games.

You should use the hotkeys to adjust the convergence and sterero separation which should clear that up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NamelessOne @ April 06 2002,12:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">1. It is impossible to aim accurately with the iron sight.  The iron sight is positionned in front of your nose instead of your firing-arm-side eye.  If you close your right eye to line up the target with the sights, you are garanteed to miss.  If you keep both eyes open, and focus on the target, the sight will appear in double vision.  If you focus on the iron sights with both eyes, the target appears in double vision.

<span id='postcolor'>

I don't have this problem. I aim with the iron sights all the time, and it's still the same as it was without 3D. The only difference now, is that even the iron sights appear in 3D, ie it has "depth"...

The problem with your double vision of objects is that you either have your stereo separation too high or your convergence is too much. You need to reduce either or both, until you get a solid iron sight and target.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">2. The frame rate drops when you are in the woods.  It's even worse if you look though a sniper sight towards the woods.  This is on a P3 1Ghz system.  Maybe higher-end systems don't have this problem.<span id='postcolor'>

The graphics card you are using is a greater contributor to slowness than system speed. Bear in mind that now, your framerate is technically HALVED, because it must display 2 images (left eye and right eye) for every frame. To offset this, you should lower the resolution, remove anti-aliasing, fiddle with V-sync, and reduce bit-depth to 16 (if you have a really slow card)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3. Smoke and light glare are rendered as 2D objects at screen depth, which appear in double vision when you focus at the source.<span id='postcolor'>

Again this is an issue with your stereo separation and convergence. On my system, these objects are just "disjointed" since they are at screen depth, but they are not "blurred" nor "double vision".

hmmm

will 3d glasses work with the geforce 4mx?

the comp I play this game on is a AMD athalon xp1800+ with the mid geforce 4mx card and 512 ram

if I get the glasses what resolution should I play it on?

Elite, when I lower the stereo seperation to the point where I have no problems with the iron sight, I barely have any depth perception. I have switched to 16-bit, and lowered the visual quality slider and the framerate is much better, thanks.

The double-vision problem happens because BIS positionned the iron sights for cyclops. smile.gif The sights are in front of your nose instead of in front of your firing eye. Try this experiment and you'll see that the problem is with the game...

1. Hold your finger about 6 inches in front of your nose as if it were a gun sight.

2. Focus at a distant object. Your fingertip will appear in double-vision.

3. Now focus on your fingertip. The distant object will appear in double vision.

If you close one eye to prevent the double vision problem, your aim will be off because the sights are in front of your nose.

To remedy this problem, BIS would have to position the iron sights in front of your right eye. Then you'd have to close the left eye so you can line up your sight to the target, just like you have to do in real life.

What would be the best way to let BIS know about this problem so that they could fix it (or at least prevent it from happening in future games)?

NamelessOne is right.

The iron sights are a real issue here. I find it almost impossible to aim correctly because of the sight. Even when reducing seperation and convergence, the iron sight problem still exists.

My sight, cockpit, other 'close-up' items are all solid and look correct, but try and fire on a distant object through the sight and you're likely to cry from the eye-strain.

These glasses are simply awesome, but this could kill their use in OFP. Someone please help!  confused.gif

I can't offer any more suggestions, except to say that iron sights is not a problem for me... to me, they are solid (except for the built-in fuzzy stuff by BIS). I have no problems looking through the sights and hitting targets.

What I can say is it took me about 30 mins of running around the first single player mission (Steal the Car) to get the settings tuned to the point where my eyes don't water smile.gif My Stereo separation is somewhere around 12% to 15% (if that helps) and my convergence, well I don't know where to find that value, but suffice to say that I fiddled with CTRL-F5 and CTRL-F6 until I got BOTH my iron sights as well as that white bouncing sight solid and USEABLE.

I find that in most FPS games (MOHAA, HL etc), I need to set very little stereo separation and reduce convergence until the sights are solid. In other games I can just increase stereo separation, sometimes all the way to 100%, and bring convergence up so that the objects appear nearer to me.

Perhaps my trick can help:

1. With Stereo Separation at 0%, increase slowly (CTRL-F4) until you see your iron sights start to split into 2.

2. Hit CTRL-F5 to reduce convergence, until the sights become one again.

3. Test play, see if you can hit anything.

4. Repeat as necessary until you are able to see and hit targets without problems with the iron sights in stereo mode.

That's what I did, and that's how I got comfy with OFP in 3D mode.

Elite.....You are the king of OFP 3d!  tounge.gif

Your trick did work, and I'm happily lost in 3 dimensions of OFP. You comments about making sure the settings are 100% is absolutely correct. It can take a lot of tweaking, but it's worth it.

Based on my tests, I'm sure that with some practice I will get more used to the environment and be able to increase stereo seperation.

Thanks.  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maddock @ April 09 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Elite.....You are the king of OFP 3d! tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Awww...shucks! Thank ye very much!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Your trick did work, and I'm happily lost in 3 dimensions of OFP. You comments about making sure the settings are 100% is absolutely correct. It can take a lot of tweaking, but it's worth it.<span id='postcolor'>

I couldn't agree more... the whole POINT of me getting these glasses was for OFP.... other games are just "secondary" smile.gif So as you can very well guess, getting them to work just right was very important to me ... hehehe!

I'm glad you got your glasses sorted... let's hope NamelessOne does too... then we're all gonna be happily playing OFP3D while the rest of the world just plays OFP biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 02 2002,21:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here's one stereo picture. It does not look as good as it does when playing but it gives you some idea what it looks like.

ofpstereo2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

I can't tell the diffrence....

Sid.

Like those magic eye pictures that have hidden images in the patterns, these screenshots are what your left and right eye would see respectively (not a before and after shot).

If you lose focus while looking at the two pictures and can get them to merge as one, you will see a 3d effect, giving you depth in the scene. This is what the glasses do automatically without the eye-strain.

Give it a try, it's quite cool. smile.gif

Elite,

The iron sights can't be split in two because they are drawn as 2D objects at screen depth. Did you mean when the iron sights start to appear in double when you focus at a distance? If so, there is not much stereo seperation at that point, and barely any depth perception (except for close objects).

The very little amount of depth perception I get without problems with the iron sights isn't worth the loss of brightness, the grayness of the colors, and the lower frame rate I get with the 3d glasses.

Until BIS fixes the iron sight problem, my 3d glasses are gonna keep collecting dust on the shelf.

I still appreciate the help though, Elite.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NamelessOne @ April 09 2002,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The iron sights can't be split in two because they are drawn as 2D objects at screen depth. <span id='postcolor'>

Did you give it a try? I bet you didn't. If you did, you'd find that they DO split into 2.

Whether or not they are indeed 2D objects, I can't argue the point. Only BIS know. But, what *I* know is that they are splittable. Going by logical deduction, if they can be split, they are hence not 2D objects drawn at screen depth. As I said in an even earlier post, my iron sights appear to have "depth" to them too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Did you mean when the iron sights start to appear in double when you focus at a distance? <span id='postcolor'>

No, read my previous post again, and TRY IT. Even Maddock has managed to do what I described, and now he's a happy camper.

Elite, I tried it, trust me.  As I increase stereo separation I see all other objects start to split (without the glasses on), but the sights don't split at all. BTW, I'm talking about the iron sights in weapon view mode.

Maybe I get different results because I have an older video card (GeForce 256). confused.gif