Sign in to follow this  
lukemax

Import into 3DS

Hi all, im trying to import a model, However im told that there are missing map file's, I've tryed editing the resorces in the path editor, striping the files names and then re-assigning, but to no end! i've tryed assigning the paths to the folder, both without success in the when im told that there are missins map file's when i try to render!, I get the model up ok.........I've searched Tutorials but they only give answers that i already have tryed!

Its like some textures decided to show some dont, One can assume otherwise that the textures may not be applied?, however i have tested this with a number of models and its the same on many that i've imported...

The format is 3ds and my software is 3ds Max

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7322/hammerbs7.jpg

My MSN is Luke.steel@btinternet.com if you wanna chat to me smile_o.gif

Any ideas? or tutorials that i could be pointed to?

Lukemax

Lukemax, the sucessfull experiences i had importing models to o2 is in .obj format. The 3ds always screws something (like textures paths or selections).

Other then that duno what else could it be.

Well, if you have the model UV mapped, then you can set the textures in O2, since the main process of UVmapping is done in 3Dstudio max

can you please post an image of the model in O2?

Place your textures (in format supported by O2) in a folder on P:/ virtual drive (the name of folder is the name of your PBO). Import 3ds model, select all and press E, browse the texture/material path.

When you're done save to the same folder.

That is, assuming you only have one texture. If you have more textures then import by parts and apply texture using filter option to find untextured faces.

3DS has the advantage of importing edge hardness, while in .obj the hardness is not imported but created based on face angles (you can set tresshold).

Is the topic title wrong or the posts?

suppose that you have more than on textures, and you have create your uvw maps in 3ds max, here is a way of how to apply it.

1st)try this, a small tutorial that i've started while a gon, but i never finnish it, it has a lot of gaps and missing parts that i want to add, but it desribes the import process quite in detail..

3ds-to O2 (Not finished)

2)also there is an other way, a bit faster not described in this tutorial (i descover it later) but i plan to add it too.

try this for start, on your left you should have the resource library, if not hit shifht+F10 in order to appear.

This library has icons like a stack of books. Using the '+' on the left of that books, expand the Current Lod->textures now you should get a lst with your applied textures, if not then probably you haven't map the textures correctly, if you get a '?' at the left of each texture name then you have missing textures, probably from wrong paths or something, but if you have a green rectangle box the everything it's ok.

3)now suppose the you know that OFP/Arma use textures of power of ^2 that means that all your textures must comply under this pattern, an example could be 1024X256, 1024 X1024 etc..., if not then probably you could get a bunch of problems. Also use TGA 32bit, for source file, and try not to let O2 to create the paa automatically, but 1st use TexVie2 to create from your source (TGA, jpg) into paa, and then load map your paa's on your model.

sample.jpg

now in my pic, i have the correct texture names, in your case you shuld have the materail name, but don't worry.

-1)left click on a texture then choose select in model in the appeared popu, now the correspondig parts on your model that you have mapped with this texture has turned into red.

-2)now, while the parts are selected, hit 'E' button on your keyboard.

-3)in the popup menu, choose the path with the correct texture (i advice to have it already converted to paa) and then apply, you can do the same for the material.

-4)repeat the same for every texture.

That's it.