Sign in to follow this  
Mangobreeder

N00b Helicopter Question

Hi

So im playing warfare, and i buy a helicopter with a pilot. i jump out of the chopper at my location.

1 quick question, how do i get teh chopper to land to pick me up.

so far i have to get the pilot to eject, wait till the chopper falls out of the sky, and get the pilot and my self to mount again.

i must be doing something wrong.

UNfortunately, there isn't a great way of doing it. You have to order your guy to dismount (not eject), and he should land and then get out. Then order him back in and you climb in and tell him where to go.

The bad part about this in my experience is they never land where you want them to.

If you pilot the heli it will all be good. Being gunner to a AI pilot isnt good at all.

BAS had this just right with there choppers in OFP. you could easily command your AI pilots to land, hover for fast rope, or drop ladder for insert. or extract. To bad nobodies ported these over to Arma.

I would suggest to the modifiers of this mission to take a look at Karrillion's scripts in RTS IV regarding having choppers land quickly, reliably, and predictably. He set heli-pads down that, when you pressed 4-1 (Disembark), the pilot would quickly spill off speed and land right on the heli-pad. You knew where it was going to land, and you knew it would make it there safely.

The only thing you can do (at present) is to have the AI become level (not moving) and then tell him to disembark. It is dangerous, but not as bad as telling your men to eject!

BAS had this just right with there choppers in OFP. you could easily command your AI pilots to land, hover for fast rope, or drop ladder for insert. or extract. To bad nobodies ported these over to Arma.

Yeah, why don't Ballistic Addons Studio get back to making addons again, eh?

They were fantastic.

And when is Tonahl coming to ArmA?

And yes, you have to tell the pilot to disembark. he lands, gets out. you get in, tell him to get in and fly off.

Bit pants, but there we are.