Sign in to follow this  
Walker001

Addons inside missions - impossible?

Hey. I resently discovered that one can use config files inside a mission to change certain values of the game like addons do. Am I right? My question is now, is it possible to also have like small textures and models inside a mission to make missions with special content without having people to download that addon in advance. I have never seen that so I might not be possible. Does anybody know?

Sadly no - or rather there is no documented way, maybe someone knows but I looked for it already and found nothing.

I believe this was promised before release but didn't make it. You can change some things through description.ext and stringtable but that'll be all.

The other way - embedding missions into addon - works fine, so you might release the mission+extra content as one file, but it has to be put in addons.

Quote[/b] ]is it possible to also have like small textures and models inside a mission to make missions with special content without having people to download that addon in advance.

No, but there is no reason why you can't write a mission that looks for specific custom addons. If there present then use them in the mission, if not then use a stock, BI alternative.

For an example of what UNN proposes, try this mission by LCD: O-Team 1.0. Note it might have some bugs in it still, but if you check out the init you'll find an example of how to make your mission use addons "optionally". I.e., if you have Queens Gambit certain units will be replaced, if you have certain weapon packs they will be available for purchase etc.

Oh, and creating fancy user interfaces using dialogs doesn't require any addons, and you can use as many pictures as you want.

Wolfrug out.

say whaaaaaaaaaat.

I didnt know that was possible. Can anyone post a link as to how to edit config values in missions? And why isnt this popular beyond mightyness yet?