Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas Bell

Schmalfelden Visitor Source Files Posted

I've made the Visitor files for my Schmalfelden map available at the bottom of the first post here:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=73113

The files are 209 MB. Place the unzipped Schmalfelden folder directly in your P: drive (not in the CA folder) and you should be able to use it immediately.

This may be of use if you are new to terrain editing. In fact you can delete all the objects and roads, import a new height map, etc and create a new map within the fixed constraints of the original (ie 5 x 5 km, 10 meter grid, etc). Change the file names and the island name in the config file of course to avoid overwriting the Schmalfelden map if you have it.

When I started map editing in January all I had was the BIS sample map and Alex Sworn's sample map. I wished for some other examples to examine. Hopefully this will help answer some questions and encourage people to create new islands.

Hi.

Thanks for this, for offline use I moved to CA, and made the changes needed for it to work within that structure. Now I can open/close doors and order ai to various positions inside buildings.

Couldnt find any ladders to test tho, are there any?

The factory structures have ladders. Check the town Kleinbärenweiler. Doors? What doors are operable?

Are you saying you just put the whole Schmalfelden folder in the CA and didn't change anything? No problems importing RVMATs or loading Buldozer?

Maybe I'm been making this too difficult (?). Appreciate the help!

Hi.

Quote[/b] ]The factory structures have ladders.  Check the town Kleinbärenweiler.

Thanks found it, ladder works fine.

Quote[/b] ]What doors are operable?

I know the guardhouse at the quarry is usable. Im not sure which other doors work in arma.

Quote[/b] ]Are you saying you just put the whole Schmalfelden folder in the CA and didn't change anything?

No.

I'll list the changes.

1-Copy the Schmalfelden folder in CA. EDIT-make sure you have a backup, Id hate to make you lose this..its probally the best looking map in arma.

2-Delete the wrp file and the layers folder.

3-Change all paths in rvmat files in data folder(i.e. change Schmalfelden\Data\fieldtravajih_detail_nohq.paa" to ca\Schmalfelden\Data\fieldtravajih_detail_nohq.paa")

4-Change all paths in layers.cfg like above.

5-change path to world in config from worldName = "\Schmalfelden\Schmalfelden.wrp"  to worldName = "\ca\Schmalfelden\Schmalfelden.wrp"

6-open the new location in visitor. Go to project preferences and change the texture path from schmalfelden\data to ca\schmalfelden\data.

7- Save to pew file.

8- Import your sat and layer mask.

9- Export a new wrp file.

phew..sounds like a lot but its fast.

You need to have all the bis model configs unraped in their respective folders.

Now for binpbo settings.

"addon source directory" - p:\ca\schmalfelden

"destination directory" - your choice (I use my G:\ drive)

check "clear temp folder"

check "binarize"

hit the options tab

EDIT- Add *.rvmat to the "list of files to copy directly"

I also add *.sqm to the "list of files to copy directly" But since you didnt include an island anim it isnt needed.

Check "create log file" (its good for seeing any errors, I had a lot of trees out of grid references with your map)

"path to project folder" - p:\ca

"addon prefix" - I have automatically checked

Hit "ok" Then hit "pack"

Im pretty sure I didnt miss anything, hope this helps(A lot of people seem to have a hard time doing the above).

Hmmmm

I have followed what you said here but im still getting

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Cannot load material file ca\islandname\data\layers\p_000-000-l00.rvmat.

Have i made an obvious cock up with the paths???

PS.. if i use kegs PBO tool textures are fine..its only with Binpbo

Wedge @ May 18 2008,06:05)]Hmmmm

I have followed what you said here but im still getting

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Cannot load material file ca\islandname\data\layers\p_000-000-l00.rvmat.

Have i made an obvious cock up with the paths???

PS.. if i use kegs PBO tool textures are fine..its only with Binpbo

Hi.

Try adding *.rvmat to the "list of files to copy directly" in binpbo options.

Quote[/b] ]Hi.

Try adding *.rvmat to the "list of files to copy directly" in binpbo options.

Mate thanks so much...so simple but it worked. I think i can finally release my island thumbs-up.gif

thanks! very useful information this is.

With that info the Ladders work in my map using the path P:\ca\MyMap.

It was really important the information about the BinPBO program settings.

Thanks alot!

Note: i could not had the P:\ca\MyMap to work because i was using the cpbo program, instead the BinPBO. wink_o.gif

Thanks Fitzee. Still having trouble, but that's obviously a headspace & timing issue with dumbo here.

I'm still having issues with binpbo. I followed your steps exactly to the point where I click "Pack" and "Unable to copy schmalfelden.PBO 'Bla:\Bla\directory' try again?" pops up(Happily deleting my work for me like a good little program, backing up is such a wonderful thing).

I have given up on getting ladders to work for now and will probably just reinstall all of the tools after I release my island, then I will worry about getting ladders to work then. If I spend this much time on one problem I would not get anything done.

goodnight.gif

Thanks though it is good to hear others have gotten it to work.

Quote[/b] ]If I spend this much time on one problem I would not get anything done.

That sums it up nicely, having spent another fruitless 1-1/2 hours last night messing with this.

Fitzee-

Quote[/b] ]"path to project folder" - p:\ca

If I use this the map does not appear as a selection in the editor. Clicking "Use Source Path" works. Of course then the textures do not appear in game (all black) and tip to include rvmat files directly does nothing. Okay, so I ignore the lack of ground texture, the ladders and doors still do not work. Which leads me to ask for clarification on:

Quote[/b] ]You need to have all the bis model configs unraped in their respective folders.

I guess this means more than just using the files included in Visitor and unPBO'ing the necessary PBOs per the Biki. UnRaping involves exploding *.bin files back to cfg/hpp file types, that much I know. Where are the files needing to be unRaped?

Thanks for the help. How the heck did you figure this out.

BTW, Buldozer works when Schmalfelden folder is in the CA folder, so I've at least got that far.

BTW, Buldozer works when Schmalfelden folder is in the CA folder, so I've at least got that far.

Thats a start.

I post this 1000 words pic hoping to help identify the issue.

Note: check for all .rvmat paths.

BayukSettings_s.jpg

1600x1200 (571 Kb)

Some images were blurred alittle so you can see the behind contempt.

ps- if you can't see any detail let me know and ill post more images if you need.

Got it, thanks. I didn't do a good job of recording everything I had to change to get it to work, but they were all dumbass mistakes on my part. Like leaving " included in statements, confusion as to where I was working (P: or C: drive - working out of your C:\My Documents\ArmAWork folder works, but will screw you up when you think you're working in P:) And other goofs on my part. Getting too old for this stuff, I guess. sad_o.gif

Thanks again Fitzee for your explanation. Saved my bacon.

I renamed P:\CA to P:\ca and then reinstalled binPBO and tried again, Islands in the ca directory work now but doors and ladders don't work yet.

At least this is a step in the right direction.

Hi.

Nicholas, it sounds like you have it working so i wont answer your last questions. Except for one, I only had to figure out how to transfer my maps from P: to ca, I think someone named KKB or something similar figured BinPBO and ladders out, I just followed his example in the ladders thread, and bugged him enough to show me the way smile_o.gif

ProwlerWolf,

Quote[/b] ]renamed P:\CA to P:\ca and then reinstalled binPBO

You are using the latest version of the tools right? It installs all tools at once not seperately.

of course, I wouldn't have been able to get this far if I didn't make sure I had the latest tools installed. wink_o.gif

I am just saying that my issue of not getting P:\ca\Mymap to work in game was fixed when I renamed the ca directory to a lower case. Either that or reinstalling the binpbo tools fixed the issue.

I am just not sure why people are getting ca, CA, or Ca in the ArmAWork drive or even if it makes any difference at all. Could it be a multitude of wrong versions out there screwing everyone up? Or am I just being paranoid?

i believe (CA, ca, Ca, cA) doesn't matter because i had Bayuk and Amiriya with Cap letters and programs changed Cap letters to small letters.

Quote[/b] ]Nicholas, it sounds like you have it working so i wont answer your last questions

Actually I'm not sure I have - there's something more sinister going on here. I got it to function on my work computer, but cannot on my home system - even though I brought all the files and setup. (I did change the preferences path)

I believe this may have something to do with the fact that I have ArmA installed on my F: drive. I originally put Visitor there, but it would not operate, so I reinstalled on C: drive. Starting to think that the Tools program expect themselves and the main ArmA program only on the C: drive. At least for me.

Again it works in Buldozer, but not in game.

Starting to think that the Tools program expect themselves and the main ArmA program only on the C: drive.  At least for me.

Hmmmm ... that might explain my problems too .....

Gnat @ May 20 2008,14:04)]
Starting to think that the Tools program expect themselves and the main ArmA program only on the C: drive. At least for me.

Hmmmm ... that might explain my problems too .....

Well that was one of my thoughts this morning too.

Maybe we can check out who's having problems and where ArmA and the BIS tools are installed:

Jens: Problems!

ArmA: O:\Arma\

Tools: C:\Programme\Bohemia Interactive\Tools

Jens

Quote[/b] ]Actually I'm not sure I have - there's something more sinister going on here. I got it to function on my work computer, but cannot on my home system - even though I brought all the files and setup. (I did change the preferences path)

I believe this may have something to do with the fact that I have ArmA installed on my F: drive. I originally put Visitor there, but it would not operate, so I reinstalled on C: drive. Starting to think that the Tools program expect themselves and the main ArmA program only on the C: drive. At least for me.

I finally got around to reinstalling everything on the C: drive and I was correct. No problems anymore binarizing, although I'm still working within the CA folder.

Thank you so much for this template. It's helped me more than all all the tutorials I've come across. Isalnd making was easy for me with wrptool. But this time I want to use the arma ingame objects, so I'm forced to use this visitor3.

anyway, now all I need to do is place some roads. But I always get this "object doesn't follow requirements for road objects" message.

I'm still trying to figure it out.