Sign in to follow this  
05hunterd

Converting good OFP stuff to ArmA...

AS the name suggests, I'm trying to port some stuff into ArmA.

Before going public, I was going to get all the rights and stuff, but wanted to try and do it personally before hand.  I've started with the CSJ 737-600, and his other works, and to make it display in the editor, all I have done is changed the requiredVersion from 1.96 to 1.08.

Now, when placed, I preview it in the editor, with an immediate CTD and this error message:

ArmAProblem2.jpg

Anyone any ideas?

editing the ofp addons to work in arma needs a little biot more work... smile_o.gif have you checked the Biki for any know how? smile_o.gif

Guest RKSL-Rock
Now, when placed, I preview it in the editor, with an immediate CTD and this error message:

[im]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j252/05hunterd/ArmAProblem2.jpg[/img]

Anyone any ideas?

As Commando84 said it takes a bit more work to convert an OFP addon to ArmA. But that error related to the ODOL format (ie binarised) of the model. I suspect OFP binarised formats are not really compatible with ArmA. Ive never tried it but that would be my guess.

I've just used a tool literally now that converts it into MLOD format...I'm about to test now...

F**KING YES!!! RESULT!

You were right RKSL, it's the model formats. MLOD now works, but a couple of texture issues though...nothing i shouldn't be able to handle now.

Cheers,

I I get permission, expect to see a beta in couple of weeks biggrin_o.gif

A few global rules to respect in order to ensure a 'decent' conversion process:

1st Step

- Make sure that the model is in MLOD format.

- Almost all OFP addons have textures paths directing to \data.pbo

- Therefore, you have to unpbo this addon and locate the necessary files for the model you would like to convert

- To locate them, use O2 PE (RC3 or RC2) Textures renaming tool (Tools -> Mass Texture & Material renaming)

- Once located, move these files to your 'New' Addon folder and ensure to convert the textures paths.

2nd Step

- ArmA has a new proxies system, so you have to delete all of the previous OFP proxies and include ArmA ones according to the nature of model to edit, or adapt them to ArmA system by rewriting some parts of the config (Cfgmodels and cfgskeleton specifically) according to the old 'selections' in O2.

- I suggest to use ArmA new proxies for a sake of quality (You can copy them from ArmA Official MLODs), since you convert a civilian plane then you don't have to worry about weapons proxies as supposedly, there are none.

- I suggest you to try all proxies (Pilot) of ArmA default planes in order to choose the best ones, take the time to propely adjust them in order to make sure that the pilot is correctly positioned in the seat in (Pilot/Cargo View), once you are sure it is fine then copy the proxy and paste it to all Lods.

- Now you have to adapt the 'cargo' animations in the config as well, give a look at BIS configs (Air; Air3; A10) to better understand this aspect, you could  also find some detailed explanations here and there (BIS Boards, BIKI, OFPEC ...).

Last Step:

- OFP's engine was able to handle many textures, which is no more the case with ArmA, since the higher the number your textures will be, the lower the performance will become in-game.

To fix this, you have to merge all textures into a few .pac files, to do this, you need to carefully follow step after step the .PTM way by using PanTool or coding yourself the file in question, you will find further details within PMC forums.

- You probably have already heared about Normal Maps, Specular Maps... , but to understand how these work, you would need to carry out some research and follow step after step the tutorials related to the question.

Here you can find everything you need.

- Once you are done with all these aspects, you have to focus on the config to get the model work in the right way.

Again, pay some attention to the way BIS defined their configs, or check the individual configs you will find within some community-made Addons.

Good luck,

Regards,

TB

Edit: Typos

thunderbird84, before doing any of the things you listed, I would take the time to ask the original author for permission, can prevent some nasty situations later on like not getting permission when you've spent a lot of time on getting it to work wink_o.gif

Heh, sure, if you expect to release the content then this is the first aspect you have to achieve, ensure to get the author's permission to further avoid any form of inconvenience.

Regards,

TB