Sign in to follow this  
OKO

LOD for grass whatever the terrain detail

Hi all,

I just verified one thing that makes me bad :

If you are on "very low" setting for terrain detail, the LOD for grass just desappear !

here is 2 screenshots =>

with very low detail :

sansLOD.jpg

with settings above (from low to very high) :

LOD.jpg

As you could see, people using very low terrain detail use a kind of cheat, as they could see much more clearly the ennemi proning than people using other graphic settings.

I think the grass LOD is an excellent idea, but should exist whatever your graphic settings, because its a great advantage for people using "very low terrain detail".

I hope you will take care of that thing on the next patch.

tank you for your attention, and keep up your excellent work !

This is a feature. On very low terrain, grass is disabled, as is the grass layer. When playing online, the server dictates the terrain detail level, not the individual clients, so it's no cheat.

When playing online, the server dictates the terrain detail level, not the individual clients, so it's no cheat.

I didn't knew that, I just verified and you are right about it !

thanx plaintiff1 notworthy.gif

So, I have another question : is it better to put all graphic settings on the dedicated server to the max (assuming dedicated server doesn't need to use it anyway ...), and will it be a problem for low configs in game ?

Is this solution (all graphic settings to the max for dedicated server) will give some better look to arma on MP mission ?

you make me feel much better, anyway, plaintiff1, with this answer yay.gif

edit : you talked about the terrain detail level, is it the only thing that is dictated by the server concerning the graphic settings ?

I get that whether I'm on low, medium, high or very high terrain detail.

Would be great to know the cause of it. 8800GTS 640MB video card on this end. Maybe something in the arma cfg?

Quote[/b] ]I get that whether I'm on low, medium, high or very high terrain detail.

Just try very low terrain detail (the only setting where you can't see the grass layer), in solo (editing quickly something with 2 soldiers)

And you will have the same thing I talked about, just above.

Quote[/b] ]Would be great to know the cause of it. 8800GTS 640MB video card on this end. Maybe something in the arma cfg?

my GC is a 8800GTS320 OC 1 year old.

When playing online, the server dictates the terrain detail level, not the individual clients, so it's no cheat.

I didn't knew that, I just verified and you are right about it !

thanx plaintiff1 notworthy.gif

So, I have another question : is it better to put all graphic settings on the dedicated server to the max (assuming dedicated server doesn't need to use it anyway ...), and will it be a problem for low configs in game ?

Is this solution (all graphic settings to the max for dedicated server) will give some better look to arma on MP mission ?

you make me feel much better, anyway, plaintiff1, with this answer yay.gif

edit : you talked about the terrain detail level, is it the only thing that is dictated by the server concerning the graphic settings ?

It's generally best to cater to the lowest common denominator that you wish to serve as your client base. If you want your server to be accessible to people with lower performance rigs, go as low as you dare. If you are just playing with a few friends and you know what kind of rigs they have, go with whatever you guys think is best. As far as I know, the only server dictated settings are view distance and terrain detail. I don't really give a shit about terrain detail, I usually keep it on low, but viewdistance I can't get enough of. That's just my personal taste. It's best to set up the kind of server that you like to play on, in the end.