Sign in to follow this  
Mpdehnel

Road creation

Sorry, this has probably been asked a thousand times before but I can't find an answer to it.

How do I create models for Road Networks? What things / spec does the content of the *.p3d need to follow for the 'straight section' dialogue and others etc. to accept a model as a road?

I've tried putting down roads as Artificial Objects or New Roads objects, but they dont' stick to the terrain well - i.e. they don't follow the lie of the land & hence look awful. If there's an easy way of getting roads to stick to the ground without having to go through and manually edit every section I put down, I'd be very grateful for your help! smile_o.gif

I don't know mate, but I think there's some fidgey-widgeyness going on with roads. The roads you lay down with Visitor3 are not exactly the same as the roads that are used in ArmA... I think there's some extra functionality in the Visitor3 roads that allows them to "snap" together in the editor and also to lie flat against the terrain. So it sounds like you'll be making 2 versions of each segment, one to use in the editor, one to package up in your addon.

You could try de-PBOing a Visitor3 road segment and seeing what's different there. Or if you cannot see what's different, convert the existing BIS road segment to your own and Save As under your own road name.

I've found some of the standard roads under \vbs2\roads\ (in p3d form) but most of them won't open with O2, & the ones described in the german Visitor3 Tutorial don't match up entirely with those in my folder, but they were similar. As they didn't open in O2, I can't see what settings they have!

Hmm. You might have to limit your roads to hex-edited BIS files, that point to new textures. The new texture names will have to be exactly the same length as the pre-existing ones.

Sorted it, you need to do it in VLB / create shape files of the road paths etc. & then make it part of the terrain. Works a treat! smile_o.gif

I have another question about roadcreation. I always get the this errormessage:

stra%DFenproblem.JPG

I do not have any chance to create a new roadsection for using the roadtool in V3 solong that %$§/&"( (censored) §"!$&§§"§**=/&%% (censored as well) issue always appears...do you have any clue what that message trys to say me and even why it tells me.

I unpboed all the objects from the ArmA addons like buildings, plans, roads misc aso in P:\ca. In ca there are the respective folders located.

I think it is telling you that the road models you are using do not have the 'snap to' points that are used to join the road pieces together.

Are you sure you are using mlod models?

Planck

You must use the road models that come with Visitor3, using the ArmA road models causes this error. There must be some special properties in the V3 versions that the ArmA versions don't need, so you need to find the old ones & put them back.

As far as I can tell, these are the only models that have this activity. As Planck said they must have a "snap-to" property that the game doesn't need.

Hi,

thanx for your reply. I found a way how to solve it. The ArmA/Addons/roads models seems to be binarized (the configs) so Visitor cant find their anchor points. I got the mlod models which have been released by BIS shortly. So I only need to delete the already unpboed roadmodels and replace them with the new mlod models....now all works fine.

If someone does have the same problem.

Here is the link where one can get the models.

Download mlod models

Sorted it, you need to do it in VLB / create shape files of the road paths etc. & then make it part of the terrain. Works a treat! smile_o.gif

what do you mean with VLB?

This should be possible to create and work even without the original BIS models.

We should be able to create our own roads and use then as ones.

I did some but they do not appear in map as road path.. nor be able to add like when we do here

edit: is there an option that make the road appear in the map ingame? I mean, if you press map you can see the path of the roads.. but how do we set it if we create our own roads?

edit2: nvm, i found a way