Sign in to follow this  
Heatseeker

Radio operator.

Now that VON is working taking further advantage of its ingame implementation would be nice, like having a radio operator in your squad.

Need to call hq or other squads? Air or arty support? Evac?

Just by playing with the channels, you would have direct speaking and squad channel available but would need the radio operator for further com channels.

By making a radio and anims and giving each squad its own channel, would be a damn nice feature and not even a very complicated one imo.

What do you think smile_o.gif ?

I say Hell yeah! I think this will bring better feeling to this feature.

This idea was already mentioned / suggested but in some other thread less specific. I think this is a good thread to explore this particular subject smile_o.gif

I always missed this "feeling" since the OFP era. It should be a MUST in ArmA2.

Edit: @Developers: I also think that different Frequencies for the radio should be implemented aswell (as Zipole mentioned in a email to the developers, ie, Suma) with some interesting ideas.. but there was never a reply from that email.

ps- I didn't want to bring this subject here because this idea was not mine, was Zipole's (i just heared it). Though the idea should be heared and avaluated. (maybe now Zipole gets hes answer... or maybe not)

Excellent idea- this is what ArmA missed out on. In OFP, you had the feeling that you were part of a larger war effort, adding so much to the atmosphere.

Remember the mission "After Montignac"? Where the mission goes wrong and the fleeing troops need to get to the LZ, and as the mission goes on you hear friendlies panting as they talk, footsteps in the background as they run from the enemy.

Having the ability to call for help of some kind, or even just to keep in contact is great for immersion, so definitely a great idea, this.

Getting scripting support to muck around with VON settings, create new channels, etc, would make it possible to do any kind of radio simulation worth doing in the context of ArmA.

It's been asked for. Time will tell as to whether it will show up.

We would get a new and important class in our squads, the RTO.

It would make comunication betwean squads and support units much more interesting and organised (think about those coops/tactical pvp's).

And last but not least if implemented on a.i. level it would give logic to a.i. squad support, an a.i. squad would call for support using the radio (dump the guard waypoint).