Sign in to follow this  
Callaghan

Modelling for Arma

Ok, ive been with the OFP community from day 1, and, like many others, taught myself advanced mission editing and some scripting.

Now that I am pretty confident in my knowledge and 'feel' of the OFP/Arma engine, I feel I should try my hand at some addon making.

What i'd like to know is,

A. What got you into 3d modelling / addon making?

B. Did you know anything about it already and

C. if no, then how did you go about learning.

D. Finally, what do i need and what tools/resources/guides do i need?

Thanks in advance

a) Boredom, and lack of British kit

b) Nope

c) Trial and Error, and listening to comments people make

d) Oddly enough, the arma editing forum:

Linky

What i'd like to know is,

A. What got you into 3d modelling / addon making?

B. Did you know anything about it already and

C. if no, then how did you go about learning.

D. Finally, what do i need and what tools/resources/guides do i need?

A. My friend, Marcel Pleyster aka Marss911. It helps to have some friends that know how to do things, in case you run into problems that aren't found in tutorials.

B. A tiny bit, I played around with UnrealEd for Unreal Tournament.

C. I followed some of the BRSSEB tutorials, and got help from friends.

D. I would personally start with O2, since it is pretty easy, and offers the ability to learn the basics of modeling.

A. the lack of scifi addons, and ww2 stuff and of course the curiosity

B. nope

C. like Messiah, + some tuts about 3d modelling. And I got tired of oxygen so I had to learn other 3d programs

D. yeah oxygen is the best prog to learn, but even the new one is limited. try some forums (cg society or 3d total), they have a lot of tuts really interesting, with different levels: easy, moderate, etc etc

good luck wink_o.gif

If you want to find out more about 3d modelling, definitely seek out some tuts. The basic tools for most 3d software apps are generally the same, and what makes a good model is not platform dependent. Look at what other people have done and get a handle on the concepts of polycount, meshflow, form, and silhouette, and you'll be most of the way there. Reference (!!!wink_o.gif and practice will get you most of the rest of the way.

modelling for arma is basically the same as for any other advanced 3d engine. If you got some experience in other FPS games (BF2 for ex) it won't be that hard to work for arma.

Quote[/b] ]D. Finally, what do i need and what tools/resources/guides do i need?

3ds max or similiar well-known and supported 3d model application. use o2 is good only as ingame importer, you won 't achieve good results with it.