Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Yomies Spawning system

Hey guys,

As some of you are aware i have recently released the latest version of Quarantine.

How ever in the latest version a serious show stopping bug related to the 144 group limit as cropped up, leading the zombies eventually drying up. The zombies i am using for the mission are the excellent

Yomies using the spawn system that came with the package.

Currently i implemented the suggestion by andersson on braking the unit cap:

Quote[/b] ]I have found a solution to max 144 yombies. Its just a small change so I will post it here soon, I must test it some more first.. Right now I´m playing a MP game and my yombie kills are 147.

If my calculations are right the new max number is 572 yombies. I just have to prove it, so I´m chasing them around in a M113 on Rahmadi as we speak.....

edit----------------------------------------------------------

OK. Arma crashed when I had shot about 500 and had many of them still coming straight for me. Arma did not crash because of the yombies, just the normal "inconvenience" (8800 user).

I hope 5133p39 dont mind me doing this? Nothing else is changed from 5133p39s excellent vision and job except the max-number.

To to raise the yombie-count (143*4) you have to add some code in 2 files.

The first file is init_game.sqf which you will find in the /yourmissionfolder/yomies/.

Find this code:

Code Sample

ySide = createCenter Resistance;

// Center created for creating new groups when spawning new yomies.

// Unfortunately, there is a bug, which affects acquiring targets by the AI.

// To get rid of the bug, we still need some Resistance unit placed on the map,

// in the mission editor - the CreateCenter/Group won't do the job alone.

Change it to this:

Code Sample

ySide = createCenter Resistance;

ySidee = createCenter East;

ySidew = createCenter West;

ySidec = createCenter Civilian;

// Center created for creating new groups when spawning new yomies.

// Unfortunately, there is a bug, which affects acquiring targets by the AI.

// To get rid of the bug, we still need some Resistance unit placed on the map,

// in the mission editor - the CreateCenter/Group won't do the job alone.

The other file is spawn_yomie.sqf located in yourmissionfolder/yomies/funcs/.

Find this code:

Code Sample

_pos = _this select 0;

_type = _this select 1;

_i = _this select 2;

_grp = createGroup ySide;

Change it to this:

Code Sample

_pos = _this select 0;

_type = _this select 1;

_i = _this select 2;

_grp = createGroup ySidec;

_grp = createGroup ySidew;

_grp = createGroup ySidee;

_grp = createGroup ySide;

Thats all.

I had, before the crash, a killing spree in yombies on Rahmadi. You can choose to pump out all yombies from one marker, or divide into different. You can have all as civilians or whatever.

This doesnt change anything else, the only differens is that the maximum amount of yombies are 572 (four units are needed as normal units). But every group you add, no matter side, takes away one yombie.

Of course i needed unlimited amounts of zombies for my open ended dynamic RPG like mission. However after some people tested the above fix it was confirmed the unit cap was broken.

Quote[/b] ]OK did some testing and at last count I had 689 Yomie kills!
Quote[/b] ]Good to know its braked, 572 was a theoretical nr I never verified.

But alas nothing ever goes to plan in the world of mission making and scripting and the Yomies dry up within the first hour of the mission even with the above fix implemented.

So being completely and utterly stumped on how to solve the issue, and development of yomies (or any zombie mods for that matter) has seemed to of stopped i am begging for help on solving this major problem!

Thanks for reading guys, any help is extremely appreciated!

You had a look at Sahrani Virus and changed the Civilian Zombies into the addon ones..

I have the Sahrani Virus Zombies Script neated up into a folder so its easy to make your own mission.. took me for ever to do as he had all sorts all over in that mission but it sure does work, and zombies just keep spawning and spawning untill you active the kill script but then you can activate a new one when ever you want.

I have no where to upload it tho.

Thats sounds interesting, however i can see a few compatibility issues in using it to spawn Yomies, since the Yomies use Markers and there areas to spawn, wander around in, and hunt for targets.Meaning it could take some rather fiddly and awkward work arounds to get the yomies to use another spawning system.

Bit hard to explain but you'll see what i mean if you check out all scripts that come with yomies package and example missions.

Im still interested in the Sahrani Virus scripts + zombies thou, i shall PM you my email if you wish to send it,

nillScripter here with a logic based idea, feel free to shoot holes all thru it.

I've dug thru the Quarantine files and mabey an additional solution to raise that bar on group limit might be to remove the "dead" and cleared Yomies not by deleting them entirely but rather by respawning them to one of the remote islands on the map like where they spawn from and hide them untill needed using the cache units function from -eutf-Myke to cut down on resource usage.

I'm also looking into changing the spawn point and zone clearing triggers from actual editor placed triggers to using ones called by gamelogic as described by Lee Hunt in the Exploding Triggers demo script.

I think with this combo not only should Yomie headcount appear to be endless but will happen with a minimal impact on the players system resources.

I'm also hoping that the added delay in gamelogic checks will cause a more seamless feel between spawn zones. (Yomies from last spawn chasing you into the next batch of yomies before they're cleared)

Hopefully with all this in place, it could make for a nice mission to play on a Dedicated server for as long as ArmA decides to keep running.

Thoughts? huh.gif

@andersson: ...about "I hope 5133p39 dont mind me doing this?"

I don't mind you doing anything you like smile_o.gif

I have to confess i don't understand how you can break the unit cap just by changing<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_grp = createGroup ySide;to<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">_grp = createGroup ySidec;

_grp = createGroup ySidew;

_grp = createGroup ySidee;

_grp = createGroup ySide;...the groups are created, but the variable _grp will be referencing only the group created for ySide by the last command.

Maybe i should just try it (later i will) instead of writing this, but i really don't see how this could help??

Anyway, for "endless" yomie count, there is a type of "spawn area" which is spawning the yomies endlessly (it will spawn the desired number of yomies, and when you kill some, they are immediately spawned again - or is there some bug which breaks this, and that is the reason we are talking about this?).

Regarding the use of yomies in some different "spawn system", it shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing you need to do, is to alter the spawn system so it will run the FSM file for the spawned yomie, and then you need to put somewhere those few scripts which are being run from those FSM files (and maybe edit them to suit your needs).

That shouldn't be too hard.