Release: No Way Out Part 1 - Co 1-8

No Way Out Part 1 - Co 1-8

screenT.jpg

Full Size

Summary:

This mission is a full featured coop escape and evasion mission for up to

eight players. It is of the realistic open ended variety. This mission

is designed to be tough, and is largely geared towards squads, clans, and

other groups of people that play together often.

Features:

Selectable difficulty and time of day

Randomised patrols which call for backup when in trouble

Voice acting (not computer generated voices)

Two full cutscenes

Full Dedicated Server Support

Compatibility:

The release version has only been tested on 1.08. Other versions of the

game should work, but earlier versions may not.

Singleplayer/Multiplayer:

This mission is multiplayer only. It can be played solo, however, this

must still be done in the multiplayer game area.

This mission fully supports dedicated servers.

JIP is disabled due to gameplay considerations.

Home Page:

http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/misc....ex.html

Required Addons:

None.

Hosting:

You can host this anywhere you want. I would prefer if you included

a link back the home thread, as that is where we'll be posting updates,

answering questions etc.

Installation:

Unpack the PBO file into C:\YourArmaDirectory\MPMissions\

Version History:

V1.0:

Release

License:

Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-

commercial and adheres to the BIS terms of use. Any derivative works

cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end

user has.

Credits:

ColonelSandersLite - Mission Design

Inquisitor - Voice of Andrej

The 72nd Blackheart Battalion - Play Testing

Merkava

Baker3

Rod

yourmom

Force Recon

Memphis Belle

The Pie Spy - Play Testing

Kryptonite! - Play Testing

(My apologies if I missed anyone)

Known Issues:

GPS on the special forces units in arma 1.08 cannot be disabled without

making the mission addon dependent. I strongly suggest you play this

mission without using it however.

ColonelSandersLite@hotmail.com

Comments, feedback, bug reports, etc are always welcome.

Stay Tuned For Part 2 biggrin_o.gif

Download:

Courtesy of Armaholic.com

For the sake of completeness, I'll repost here a post by a guy named johnnyboy over at ofpec and my response.

CSL,

I gave your mission a go and liked it alot. I played alone a few times, and it was too hard, so I unpboed it and changed it to respawn="GROUP" so the AI remained as playable. I was then able to finish it. Here goes:

Overview: Great Picture.

Briefing: Had all it needed. No spelling errors I could see.

Mission:

1. Liked the initial blast of the helicopter, and the fires looked really good. Since I had Unpboed your file I looked at the burning vehicle script. Mind if I use that in the future?

2. Initial song was cool.

3. The 3 minute plus run during the song is a bit long for an impatient guy like me. OK first time while building tension of first contact. But if you have to restart it gets old.

4. First time (with no AI) I went all the way to first civilian contact. I took out a two man patrol along the way. Maybe two...can't remember now. Cutscene well done. Like the slow advancing on the civ. Voice acting very good. I made my way back to fuel dump, and since it was only me I was much more cautious. I took out all fuel dump guards, and blew the dump. Planted a few charges, and went up a hill North of road to wait for tanks. Got spotted by a patrol that was drawn to the dump, and got killed.

5. Later (with AI and group respawn), I chose to go directly to the fuel dump from the crash site. We approached from the woods to the South East. Had a good tense firefight at edge of fuel dump. Was surprised by a few eastern units to east of dump in the woods. Lost five guys here. Spent a long time searching the woods for my dead leader who had the satchels and RPG (my fault). Dead bodies at night are hard to spot in the woods, even with NVG. Planted charges on the road and went up hill to the north with 2 AI. When tanks came, blew charges. Spacing wasn't quite right so only got lead tank. At this point, the free look bug got me, and could not turn my soldier. Had to respawn, which killed the one player, so then only had 2 guys left. Moved on towards Ixel. Got the first cutscene, but noticed how it varied because I took out the fuel dump first. Good thinking. Encountered 3 man patrol, took them down. Then a 2 man patrol, and took them down. Made way to farmhouse and truck, and mission over.

Outro: Good outro movie showing soldiers investigating fuel dump, etc. Good song.

Overall: I liked this mission. Wished I had local friends to do coop with (unfortunately ARMA is too "boring" for them....COD4 people!wink_o.gif. By the way, your code is very clean (I'm a software engineer).

I encountered no bugs. My only suggestions are:

1. Allow Group Respawn (personal preference of mine).

2. Shorten the initial three or four minute run with no contacts.

3. I was surprised it ended with the truck. I expected one or two more objectives from there.

Keep up the good work.

I gave your mission a go and liked it alot.

Always nice to hear that.

1. Liked the initial blast of the helicopter, and the fires looked really good. Since I had Unpboed your file I looked at the burning vehicle script. Mind if I use that in the future?

My terms of use for everything I do for arma (it's in the readme):

Unlimited rights (including editing and rereleasing) so long as it's non-commercial and adheres to the BIS terms of use. Any derivative works cannot be more restrictive than this with respect to what rights an end user has.

Notice I don't even require credit, although it is appreciated when given.

Just FYI, it's a derivitive of this script:

http://colonelsanderslite.armaholic.net/scripts....ex.html

It's just scaled down for vehicle fires instead of buildings and made mp compatible.

I will also be releaseing standalone versions of the burning vehicle script, along with the patrol script, and maybe a few others sooner or later. It's just a matter of when I get around to it.

(bits cropped for the sake of space mostly)

Cutscene well done. Like the slow advancing on the civ. Voice acting very good. Got spotted by a patrol that was drawn to the dump, and got killed. Later (with AI and group respawn), I chose to go directly to the fuel dump from the crash site. Moved on towards Ixel. Got the first cutscene, but noticed how it varied because I took out the fuel dump first. Good thinking.

Outro: Good outro movie showing soldiers investigating fuel dump, etc. Good song.

Glad you liked the cutscene stuff. A lot of work went into them.

Wished I had local friends to do coop with (unfortunately ARMA is too "boring" for them....COD4 people!wink_o.gif.

That's easy to solve. Hook up with a clan/squad/guild/whatever online. I suggest the 72nd Blackheart Battalion (find us just by setting your arma mp browser filter to 72nd), but I'm biased.

By the way, your code is very clean (I'm a software engineer).

Thanks, I take pride in my code.

I encountered no bugs. My only suggestions are:

1. Allow Group Respawn (personal preference of mine).

2. Shorten the initial three or four minute run with no contacts.

3. I was surprised it ended with the truck. I expected one or two more objectives from there.

Keep up the good work.

I appreciate your suggestions.

1: Making it "dead is dead" was an artistic decision that I'm not going to change. I know it's a little harsh for some peoples taste, but it suits me at least.

2: Since the patrols are random, depending on which way you go and your luck, enemy contact can happen a lot faster than that. I will consider moving the crash site somewhat for the final version though.

3: I thought it was hard enough as is with no respawn. It's also a good breaking point, plot wise, where I can lead the players into part 2. That's the rational for the decision to end it there anyways. Expect another 2 or 3 of these missions, but I won't give spoilers on what I have planned.

Hi CLS!

I began to play the mission with a friend of mine, and we liked it and we are going to finish it some day smile_o.gif As I wrote "began", yes, it really is hard without respawn or reviving but we respect your decision wink_o.gif

As we could not get so far, I have only two suggestion for you for the beginning of the mission.

As johnnyboy already wrote about the music, yes it gets a bit old when you begin the mission the 4th time, because it is pretty long smile_o.gif

And the other suggestion: When we read in the briefing "your chopper crashed somewhere in this area (the green one)", we thought "WOW, cool, we will have to orientate ourselfes now to find the contact!"

But then, as we started the mission, we could just pick out the GPS and knew exactly where we were. So the suggestion is, if you couldn't remove the GPS and maybe set the crashzone bigger or randomly at a diferent place (?) and place the chopper also randomly or at one of 5 or 6 appropriate places? (just suggestions rofl.gif  )

Ok, these were some more than two suggestions, but anyway, thanks for the mission and... We are going to finish it!

OT: Did you find time to look over your weapon-switching-script? This would be great, it would fit very well in the mission, I am making! Thx!

I began to play the mission with a friend of mine, and we liked it and we are going to finish it some day smile_o.gif As I wrote "began", yes, it really is hard without respawn or reviving but we respect your decision wink_o.gif

Yeah, you have to have a pretty solid understanding of battlefield tactics. Especially in the areas of raids and stealth. It is possible though. We have finished it.

As johnnyboy already wrote about the music, yes it gets a bit old when you begin the mission the 4th time, because it is pretty long smile_o.gif

I understand that. I will see if I can't think of something mission side. Just FYI though, you can always mute it by opening your volume options, or just tune it out.

And the other suggestion: When we read in the briefing "your chopper crashed somewhere in this area (the green one)", we thought "WOW, cool, we will have to orientate ourselfes now to find the contact!"

But then, as we started the mission, we could just pick out the GPS and knew exactly where we were. So the suggestion is, if you couldn't remove the GPS and maybe set the crashzone bigger or randomly at a diferent place (?) and place the chopper also randomly or at one of 5 or 6 appropriate places? (just suggestions rofl.gif )

Yeah, what you where saying about figuring out where you are is what I had planned. The problem is that I encountered a BIS bug that simply can't be worked around. It is impossible to disable GPS on a unit that has it coded in the unit's config.cpp (inside the pbo). Sadly, I didn't know about this bug until It was almost release time and there wasn't much I could do about it by that time. On the upside, if BIS ever fixes that bug, the mission will work as intended with gps disabled. The idea of moving the chopper around randomly is actually a pretty good idea by my reckoning, but if you can still access the gps, it's kind of a pointless effort.

One thing I could do I guess is swap the SF guys out with regular infantry, but that's something I really don't want to do. I know it's kind of a catch 22, but I can't think of a practical solution to it, short of making it addon dependent (which would kill it dead, being an mp mission).

I'm glad you're enjoying the mission regardless though wink_o.gif.

OT: Did you find time to look over your weapon-switching-script? This would be great, it would fit very well in the mission, I am making! Thx!

Still haven't gotten around to it. I keep meaning to, but then I get busy with something else that seems more important at the time. You know how it goes. Rest assured though, I will be looking at the problem.

Just FYI though, you can always mute it by opening your volume options, or just tune it out.

Well, I've tried this actually, it didn't work. Did you put the music as soundeffects?

But it doesn't matter.

Don't worry by now because of the script, it could take approx. one more month for me until I finish the mission. But then...  whistle.gif

Greets!!  wink_o.gif

how is the story wise?, "part 1" it says.

Reason I ask is that we just finished playing my own "operation totopos", 3 parts, 3 weeks.. with briefings on a homepage and so on..

don't want to start this one.. and then "well, we can't continue next week, because i am waiting for the second"..

so.. anyone, without spoilers.. can you give me some feedback, is it cool to play just once, or does it need the "part 2" .. then eta on that to be released?

this mission sound soild, can't wait to play it.. but have to until i know this..

Apologies for the delayed reply, but to answer your question, it's pretty episodic. You could play it on it's own just fine. If you enjoy it though, you'll most certainly be looking forward to part 2.

When will Part 2 be avaiable? In the meantime I finished the mission and had the impression that it was pretty short. smile_o.gif

In SP, after blowing up the fuel depot, meet Andrej at his house and nothing happen, wrong trigg ?

When will Part 2 be avaiable? In the meantime I finished the mission and had the impression that it was pretty short. smile_o.gif

Note sure on an ETA for part 2. I've been too busy with clan stuff to work on it. Soonish though wink_o.gif. As for mission length, it really depends on how you try and play it. It's possible, depending partially on how lucky or unlucky you are with the patrol randomisation, to actually finish this one with only one shot fired. It can take quite a while to use that degree of stealth though. If you're good or lucky enough to just blast your way through it, you could also finish it pretty quickly as well.

In SP, after blowing up the fuel depot, meet Andrej at his house and nothing happen, wrong trigg ?

Questions:

Do you mean playing it by yourself in multiplayer or true singleplayer mode? It *must* be played multiplayer, even if you're the only person playing.

Did you actually go inside the house?

Was the T-72 objective marked as completed?

I actually had encountered this before in MP, and was sure that it was fixed. Before the fix, the mission outro would work sometimes, and sometimes it wouldn't. After tweaking it, I ran through several times, with no error on that front. If your answers to the above warrant it, I will definitely look into seeing what is wrong with it.

1)True single player

2)Was the T-72 objective marked as completed? Yes

3)Did you actually go inside the house? Yes

Very good mission!

Me and my 2 friends really liked it, we like missions like this. We made it on the 2nd try and it was not that hard as we thought. And much too short, the feeling was that the mission will start/continue after the truck! smile_o.gif

But please keep the music as music.. We all have the music slider max to the left as noone likes soundtracks while playing, but in this mission the music is still there. Good songs but we think it ruined the feeling.

We also expected a random startposition so it wasnt that exciting in the start the second time.

But overall a very good mission that we enjoyed and will play again.!

Thank you! We are waiting for part 2... wink_o.gif