Sign in to follow this  
Allie

Map Making (A to Z)

Height map is supposed to be 16 bit grayscale, Satellite/Mask 8 bit rgb. Also they need to be Power of Two dimension:

256x256 px

512x512 px

1024x1024 px

2048x2048 px

4096x4096 px

etc...

-edit-

Also, something I've not seen mentioned before which can cause problems, if you're working with layers and don't flatten the image before exporting as .png from PS you can encounter problems.

If you can't figure it out now, send it to me via PM, I'll try and have a look.

Still no progress, I have even made a new map and still cant see the texture on ground.... but when I zoom close, I can see ground like I defined in mask...but thats the only thing I can see.

Sending you PM Opteryx in few minutes...

Edit: everythings O.K. now, thanks Opteryx. notworthy.gif

I have a question about grass on a map.

Do you have to put thousands of p3d grass models on areas where you want some, or is there a way with the mask or something like that to generate grass easily?

Do you have to put thousands of p3d grass models on areas where you want some, or is there a way with the mask or something like that to generate grass easily?

Very good question, I would like to know this too... smile_o.gif

Very good question, I would like to know this too... smile_o.gif

in your config.cpp you have

class CfgSurfaceCharacters, and this defines the probability of it to appear.

example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgSurfaceCharacters

{

class grassClutter

{

probability[] = {0.015};

names[] = {"grasssmall"};

};

};

the number defines the probability for it to appear on the defined and specific texture. if you have more p3d in this, the soma of the numbers cant be more the 1.

Note: you need to define the 'grasssmall' in your 'class clutter'

like this per example:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class grasssmall: grasssmall

{

model=ca\plants\clutter_trava_dlouha.p3d;

affectedByWind = 0.3;

colorByGround=0.9;

scaleMin = 0.55;

scaleMax = 1.00;

};

Can someone help me with my questions on Page 3?

wich one?

Quote[/b] ]I can also not connect to Buldozer (says mismatch of exe and data?)

you said its fixed.

Quote[/b] ]Link? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

<ul>http://ofp.gamepark.cz/utilities/makepbo_11.zip - Makepbo (for repacking them after you're done)

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/utilities/pbo_decryptor15.zip - Pbo Decryptor (for extracting files from .pbo files)

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/OFP:_Community_Tools

http://armaeditace.blog.cz/0709....oru-pbo

http://armapoint-programas.blogspot.com

You could also have this list if you searched for 2 mins in Google.

Though i don't exactly understand what you need.. elaborate alitte.

edit: fixed last link.

bravo6: I have defined everything exactly how you said, but I still cant see any grass in Visitor(Buldozer). huh.gif

Thx a lot Bravo6, gonna try this soon.

@Pauliess: if it's defined in config.cpp, i think it's an ingame feature, try to pbo your map and launch it in arma.

Oh, yeah, I already figured that out, going to try it too, sorry then. notworthy.gif

bravo6: I have defined everything exactly how you said, but I still cant see any grass in Visitor(Buldozer). huh.gif

ah.. that.. hihi

You cant ever see any grass in buldozer..

Think alittle: In buldozer the config.cpp is not loaded.. There for its impossible for the grass or other to be loaded in any texture.

But if you add a "grass".p3d you can see it in visitor though, because it will be seen as an object and not what we pretend.

You need to pack hole map and then only ingame you can finally see the grass in the pretended and configured texture.

Hope it helps to understand why you can not have the grass in the textures while in buldozer (visitor3).

ps- if you use 2 different textures near each other, you can clearly see their differences. smile_o.gif

edit: typo and sort some ideas

Hi,

Have two questions

1st: @Allie, do you have finished part Six of your Tut.??

2nd: Does someone knows at what altitude you should use when

using pictures from google earth ( how many meters zoomed in/out ) and what size u should use to make the map the same size like south sahrani??

thanks for your help in advance

2nd: Does someone knows at what altitude you should use when

using pictures from google earth ( how many meters zoomed in/out )

You can use the ruler tool in conjunction with Placemarkers to get coordinates for drawing a box. With these you can get the Long/Lat coordinates of your terrain box edges if you intend to crop DEM data. Basically place one, measure Long or Lat coordinate, place a parallel one, use ruler to to move it to the correct interval, make a new one perpendicular to those, repeat same procedure etc. I use a bit different method which I won't explain because it involves an expensive GIS application. wink_o.gif

Anyway, the basic idea is that you have your cam set at an altitude which displays 1 meter per pixel or higher (you can resize later if the res is too high) best way you can do this is to make a overlay grid image which has transparent boxes, line up these boxes with your entire field of view, toggle it off and take a screen, toggle on and repeat until you've covered the entire area you want. Later you merge and scale to correct dimension in Photoshop or whatever.

and what size u should use to make the map the same size like south sahrani??

thanks for your help in advance

Sahrani would be:

Sat/Mask: 20480x20480 px

Heightmap: 2048x2048 px

Cell dimension: 10 m

I'm tired so I hope that made sense.

Brendon,

There are a couple of De-pbo tools you can try.

Go to the OFP info site at http://ofp.gamepark.cz/, look under utilities.  I have used PboView0.8 with success for far, you can give that a try.