Sign in to follow this  
-Snafu-

Close Combat Modern Tactics

Another 'new' Close Combat game has been released but now it's set in (obviously) modern times. This is based off of the CC that the USMC and RAF Regiment use for training.

Here are some features:

Quote[/b] ]

Based on Close Combat Marines, which is used as a USMC training simulation

Gorgeous hand-drawn 1km square to 1x4km maps

Comes with 25 Modern scenarios based on real-world and hypothetical conflicts

Realistic soldier psychological profiles during combat

Mount and Dismount specialized vehicles with infantry units

Close air support and direct and indirect fires.

Ability to protect your men in buildings, bunkers, and trenches.

Includes specialized squads, weapons, soldier types, attack aircraft & artillery.

Designed to be easily moddable to provide years of additional gaming excitement.

Adjustable game speed scroll speed and sound volume.

Multiple nationalities with varying capabilities available to both sides.

An update/patch has just been released which includes various additions and fixes.

Quote[/b] ]

Semper fi, Marine! Plenty of New Units and Air Support assets available in this new update!

Matrix Games and Strategy 3 Tactics are thrilled to announce the first update for the modern incarnation of the immensely popular Close Combat series, Close Combat – Modern Tactics, is now available for download. This hefty new update includes plenty of new units both on the ground and in the air in addition a number of other tweaks and AI improvements.

Most significantly, infantry and vehicles for both the US Marine Corps and the UK Army have been added to the force pool! Also, plenty of new air assets both for the US and Opfor have been added, including: Mi-24, Ka-50 Hokum, British Tornado, Eurofighter Typhoon and Eurocopter Tiger. There are lots of shiny new pieces of equipment to command and destroy!

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said of the release, “Close Combat fans are receiving a beautiful new New Year’s gift with this latest update, thanks to the continuing hard work of the development team. With plenty of new squads and vehicles to command, your tactical options have just increased dramatically!â€

Andrew Williams of Strategy 3 Tactics also added, “The Close Combat – Modern Tactics staff worked extra hard to make sure this update could be all that it could be. We’re very pleased to be presenting such a substantial increase in new gameplay elements in addition to the regular improvements that come with an update.â€

Close Combat: Modern Tactics combines classic top down real time tactical warfare with the excitement of multiplayer head to head gaming. Developed from the US Marines training simulation, Close Combat Marines, you get to take command of all types of modern battlefield weaponry including Abrams tanks and Soviet-made RPGs as well as air, helicopter and artillery support. This is serious gaming at its best.

You take command of modern US forces or various opposition forces in one of 25 scenarios included with the release. Engage in combat with up to 5 players per side and participate in intense head to head battles using Modern Era weaponry and equipment on gorgeous hand-drawn maps measuring from 1km square to giant 4km x 1km maps. Fight on hypothetical battlefields ranging in style from backwoods America to the streets of Iraq and the former Soviet republics. You face all the enemy can throw at you in a series of immersive, action-packed engagements that will test your tactical abilities! Air and artillery support are on-call but the final objective can only be secured by Close Combat. You are in command!

Detailed information here.

As a long standing CC fan I'll definitely be getting this.

I'd be interested to know how this game is firsthand (esp with the patch). Personally I still play CC3 & its campaigns head to head with my gaming buddies, and haven't seen the need to upgrade. maybe my mind can be changed... wink_o.gif

Great find, snafu, thanks!

I've played all CC titles, so i'm a big fan.

Although setting has changed (not WWII), I'll be getting this for sure. smile_o.gif

lol

Don't think CEX models individual soldiers morale.

Not that CEX is bad or anything.

wink_o.gif

Yup. I like CC2 still smile_o.gif

Maybe my Combat Mission: Shock Force will have a mate. Depends quite much of campaign's structure (This is greatest thing in CC2) and possibility to play as Opfor in singleplayer.

Yup. I like CC2 still smile_o.gif

Maybe my Combat Mission: Shock Force will have a mate. Depends quite much of campaign's structure (This is greatest thing in CC2) and possibility to play as Opfor in singleplayer.

I have the same thoughts. I played CC2, CC3, CC4 and CC5 but still CC2 is my favourite because of the campaign's structure, managing the resources, trying to hold supply lines (the road and landing zones) etc.

And CEX is nice but it doesn't even come close any Close Combat (not including the first one) when it comes to some respects. It doesn't model individual morale (I'll be second to say that), it doesn't make units use suppressive fire, it doesn't force units to use cover effectively. And it's made for a game (ARMA) which is not suited to simalate platoon sized battles in a realistic maner (due to lack of microcover, flatness of ground etc.).

I'd be interested to know how this game is firsthand (esp with the patch). Personally I still play CC3 & its campaigns head to head with my gaming buddies, and haven't seen the need to upgrade. maybe my mind can be changed... wink_o.gif

I have not got the game yet but I'll be happy to put up a few comments on it if you want? Once I get the game of course. Or you can visit this site

Do you know that there was a re-release of CC3 last year? It's called Close Combat Cros of Iron. I created a thread in the offtopic section here when it was released. It got a huge update in various aspects from AI to being able to run on XP (possibly Vista) pretty damn good. It came with a host of other stuff as well and is an excellent game. One really shaweet thing is official MMC3 support with a few servers. It also comes with Battle Lobby for MP games and Official version of the mod plugin installers.

I think you can get Battle Lobby for free as well. There is always someone playing CC on there. Excellent stuff.

Quote[/b] ]And CEX is nice but it doesn't even come close any Close Combat (not including the first one) when it comes to some respects. It doesn't model individual morale (I'll be second to say that), it doesn't make units use suppressive fire, it doesn't force units to use cover effectively. And it's made for a game (ARMA) which is not suited to simalate platoon sized battles in a realistic maner (due to lack of microcover, flatness of ground etc.).

Amen.

My favorite Close Combat was the second one only because of the AI, in later version they had some very interesting new features but unfortunately the maps (that went a lot bigger and prettier), new size showed how bad the AI was really at navigating, basically they were puzzled everywhere, unable to use any tactical move and it seems those moves were random instead of planned.

In CC2 the AI was always enjoyable as the maps were rather small, and so the battles were really intense with the IA going to contact without you.

Some mods were made in CC4 CC5 , named Vetmod if i remember well, that increased the size of the opposite force (so it gave you the illusion of covering more ground instead of staying stuck near their spawn point).

Other mods changed the infantry class into halftrack to force them to actually do something (with some side effect as not really going inside buildings anymore). But unfortuately as the AI was hardcoded modding improvements were very limited.

At least map and mission maker could try to place victory point more intelligently to force the AI to move to the player locations before reaching those VP and stay stuck there.

AI went so wrong in CC4/CC5 that basically most people posting in CC boards say that the game is primarly for H2H. Really too bad as the improvements and new features over the good old CC2 are awesome, but the AI has paid the price by being a very lot less interesting to play in CC4/CC5 than in CC2

I never tried the remake of CC3 (cross of iron) to see if the AI improvements were good, but i sure hope the modern Close Combats will focus on AI, it has so much potential.

Quote[/b] ]I played CC2, CC3, CC4 and CC5 but still CC2 is my favourite because of the campaign's structure, managing the resources, trying to hold supply lines (the road and landing zones) etc.

Me too, only the balance was never right for H2H IMHO. On average, something that played out closer to the history would have been better.

I just wish you could have more than two people instead of just H2H. It's not like the game play has even come close to advancing beyond today’s technology. If you're going to re-release it, add something significant!

The only close combat's I've played are: 1) Demo of CC1 *waaay* back in the day, and 2) Close Combat III. I quite enjoy CC3 for the 1v1 gameplay, and don't really play it against AI. It seems the CC5 maps would be a bit large for good 1v1 head to head play, and I feel the combat density in CC3 was spot on. I'd love to hear about CC:MT from a fellow arma player. I've read the official forums but haven't found a personal impression that's convinced me either way.

When mimicking the CC3 density in Arma (8-16 squads or vehicles per side in a 300x500m area), the battles feel quite close to the intensity of the CC series. Obviously modern weapon lethality suggests a slightly lower density, but the rough feel is quite enjoyable. The MP game mode I'm developing actually stemmed from playing lots of CC3, and trying to figure out why CC3's battles were so intense compared with typical arma MP. My first thought was the combat density and overall engagement should be mimicked, and when simulated, the battles in arma approximate what the poor sods in CC must be experiencing. When walker mentions CEX as an analogy to CC, I think he's referring to the increased density and control (platoon and company size actions in a limited area) and the enjoyment that it brings to the player.

I've heard about the CC3 remake, but as I'm quite happy with CC3 original, I'm not really convinced enough to spend $50 for a copy of COI for myself and the guys I like to play against...

UNN, afaik CC:MT supports 5v5 player matches, not just head to head, and I think this was one of the primary focuses of development (and part of the reason why there was no dynamic/continuing sp/mp campaign)