Sign in to follow this  
Rommel

Idea: Rambo Buster

Just an idea I had earlier today, to release as a script to mission makers in Multiplayer, that of something that makes sure on entering an area that you are either part of or in a team, leaving aside people in A10s/Harriers, this eliminates people doing lone support in AH1s and not relying on people to transport back and forth reinforcements.

Could use something similar to Dr Eyeballs Team Status dialog to join/leave teams.

Wondering on feedback whether I should work on this, and problems / additions that could be fixed / added.

Too many servers these days are full of people playing by themselves for no reason, and seeing as I hear nothing but complaints of people wishing servers to be similar to that of the OFP days, people working together to achieve a common objective.

smile_o.gif

I have a hunch you want this in the Evolution map. Well, it's the map's fault if people rather go alone to raise their ranks more efficiently and forcing them to stay within a certain range from their team only makes it frustrating and limits freedom. Normal missions don't have a soloing problem that big.

The problem is the people who you play with, not the missions. If you enforced something like this they'd just pick another server to rambo on because that's exactly what they want to do.

Something more subtle could be funny though. Like this one ofp mission, if you separated from your group a script would spawn enemy patrols to hunt you down. It's cheating in a sense but goes to show that wandering alone on enemy propertah equals you're fucked.

If players are going it alone rather than acting as a team, more fault lies in the way the map is designed rather than the players. If the map encouraged players to stick together rather than go it alone, they would quickly figure that out and do so. Hitting them over the head with an 'anti rambo' script is not an ideal solution.

For example, if it were possible to actually *lose* a game of evolution by the AI attacking the poor players, they might decide to stick together. As it is, players figure they can harvest points their own way by going it alone, especially if all other players are occupied ramboing themselves. (The high travel time and low enemy count is also to blame: with players travelling long distances to a combat zone, they're unlikely to wait for fellow players before embarking. With such a long time spent traveling, players are most often alive while in transit, far from any fellow players, making teaming up rather difficult.)

Arma is also to blame for its high lethality, especially when 'ramboing' against AI or players: you're the only target for every AI or player nearby, giving them no other distractions.. and a single bullet, not to mention all of arma's other weaponry, can kill. This makes actually surviving combat with fellow players incredibly problematic. With such a high investment in time and energy in actually working with other players, and the low group survival rate in a map like Evo, sticking with other players is more trouble than its worth in many situations.

If the map and game are set up to make it hard to: locate, travel, fight, and survive with other players (and there are few systems to discourage ramboing, save individual death), ramboing will probably be a preferred strategy for many players.

I personally prefer games that emphasize teamwork, but I don't think it's fair to lay all of the blame on players when they're just trying to have fun in a way that works for them, given the game they're playing.

If you want to encourage players to play as a team, punish the entire team for being uncoordinated, don't punish the individual players. A quick loss at the hands of AI or other players does wonders to encourage even rudimentary teamwork.

some cool pvp missions wich gives all sides some a.i support and support options wich could give the players the feel of a world around them that could react in special ways with the good help of some a.i scripts.

If players are going it alone rather than acting as a team, more fault lies in the way the map is designed rather than the players. If the map encouraged players to stick together rather than go it alone, they would quickly figure that out and do so. Hitting them over the head with an 'anti rambo' script is not an ideal solution.

I think both are to blame, but mission design can definetly help improve this situation, however i dont know if a mission like this would be very popular but we'll have to wait and see...

For example, if it were possible to actually *lose* a game of evolution by the AI attacking the poor players, they might decide to stick together. As it is, players figure they can harvest points their own way by going it alone, especially if all other players are occupied ramboing themselves. (The high travel time and low enemy count is also to blame: with players travelling long distances to a combat zone, they're unlikely to wait for fellow players before embarking. With such a long time spent traveling, players are most often alive while in transit, far from any fellow players, making teaming up rather difficult.)

Arma is also to blame for its high lethality, especially when 'ramboing' against AI or players: you're the only target for every AI or player nearby, giving them no other distractions.. and a single bullet, not to mention all of arma's other weaponry, can kill. This makes actually surviving combat with fellow players incredibly problematic. With such a high investment in time and energy in actually working with other players, and the low group survival rate in a map like Evo, sticking with other players is more trouble than its worth in many situations.

If the map and game are set up to make it hard to: locate, travel, fight, and survive with other players (and there are few systems to discourage ramboing, save individual death), ramboing will probably be a preferred strategy for many players.

I personally prefer games that emphasize teamwork, but I don't think it's fair to lay all of the blame on players when they're just trying to have fun in a way that works for them, given the game they're playing.

If you want to encourage players to play as a team, punish the entire team for being uncoordinated, don't punish the individual players. A quick loss at the hands of AI or other players does wonders to encourage even rudimentary teamwork.

Now that I look back at it, thats perfectly true, I just miss the OFP style missions were JiP and in many cases lack of respawn evolved the community (atleast the Australian one) to be very enthusiastic towards teamwork.

I have tried Evo many times as a team, and as described, more times then none your team is just wiped out by random wandering Ai (1 man's everywhere) which just destroy and initial enthusiasm.

And yeh Celery, nice hunch. whistle.gif

It has nothing to do with Free Choice Rogue, its more of a selection of what the majority of players want, if a server is dedicated to reallistic simulation, and say all the players want to keep it that way, and are happy for pubs to come on, but only as long as they work together.

Thanks for the comments. smile_o.gif

Gee seems Free Choice is out these days.

Wont be playing on these servers.

Just a hunch... KFC member?

Some rules are put in place to make something MORE enjoyable, not less. But like you said, you don't have to play on those servers.