Sign in to follow this  
opteryx

Distant Grass Overlay?

Up till now I've only really made desert terrains so I've never really had much to do with grass. What I want to know is what do I need to add to the config to and where are these p3d/texture files located in ArmA?

I dont understand ? , what are you talking about ?

GrassClutter ?

The stuff that is placed over textures INGAME ?

Like rocks, bushes, plants and grass like objects ?

check this post: texture defining, Probable on page 5 of the forum.

Never expected a question like this from you, but i probly not understand it right smile_o.gif

Later,

Allie

Not clutter objects, but the overlay texture that renders further out to compensates for visual cover in grass.

I'll grab a pic.

You mean when looking at soldier bit away, it looks like he stands up to his knees in grass ?

Allie

edit: if this is what you on about, i can say, I dont know, but i was wondering about it too smile_o.gif

Here you see it on both Sahrani and Porto. This is NOT terrain LOD.

overlay1.jpg

overlay2.jpg

From Biki - maybe this is what you're after?

Quote[/b] ]Textures

Each terrain type is represented at close distance by a colour only (CO) texture and a normal map (NO*). On SaraLite, each 1024x1024 pixel detail covers about 4m. Each pixel of the layer mask covers about 2m.

Terrain types also have an associated MCO texture. This is a greyscale texture that is multiplied with the satellite map to provide middle distance details. On SaraLite, each 1024x1024 MCO texture covers about 40m (one terrain texture grid cell). The engine loads terrain textures one texture grid at a time, each segment being made up into 12x12 texture grids, plus the overlapping 32 pixels.

No, that's relevant to the detail textures/satmap.

This is an actual p3d(or just elevated tex??) that renders beyond where the clutter objects stops drawing. This was introduced in one of the first ArmA patches to compensate for visual cover in undergrowth past the clutter draw distance.

As far as I can see there's no mention of it in the Wiki, perhaps in the change log of that particular patch, but that's it I think.

//surfaceInfo = "landtext\bumps.bisurf";

Already know what this does ?

Allie

edit: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_RVMAT

RVMAT files are also used in geometry LODs for defining physical properties (the idea behind this is to be able to use one set of physical material definitions on many different surfaces that may still have different visual representation). It is done via a link to *.bisurf file.

Yeah ok, but what do I do?

Hmmmm, funny thing happen, I messed with the config for quite a while yesterday and at some point it just started to work......

I have no idea exactly what I did, but it's working now. I'd still like for someone to shed some light on this though.

I think the grass layer is just a vertically translated clone of the terrain polygons, with the satellite + mco. I would expect the locations and density at which it should be displayed would be defined by the layer mask and relevant rvmats, but don't know what value defines it.

Bump

Anyone figured out this one yet?

It just worked on my map, I didn't do anything. I think it's an automated process with no way to affect it.

Be interesting to know if it still does this on sandy textures.

It just worked on my map, I didn't do anything. I think it's an automated process with no way to affect it.

Be interesting to know if it still does this on sandy textures.

maybe it's hardcoded withing the particular type of grass texture (trava...)

I use my own texture for my own grass, and i don't get that visual effect