Sign in to follow this  
Deusrexmachina

Some ideas for addon-makers (since i ain't one)

Hello to all.

I haven't seen any addons that resemble scenarios like in those action movies (cheesy or not) where guys can actually fire from lateral and/or top windows of moving cars.

I guess most of you have seen "Ronin" and "Heat" with Al Pacino. In the first movie he was standing in the passenger side and blasted the chased car in front of them with a rocket launcher. In "Heat" he and his bank robbers' buddies were shooting from the windows of their escape car (he fired with a Carbine directly through the windshield, always from the passenger side. In an earlier scene he shot one guy with a gun while driving. Classic! pistols.gif ).

Isn't it possible to make an addon where you can do all these actions? I can imagine the chase scenes where you can sit in the backseat of a car handling an M60 and fireing at the cars behind, or holding a LAW like Al Pacino and... you know the rest. whistle.gif

So, can it be done, you guys think? xmas_o.gif

The DMA Toyota wars addon added the option to shoot from the back of the cars, but thats done with a lot of scripting work.

It's not possible to make a vehicle addon which let you shoot from windows etc.

BTW if no one replies to your question in like 7 days, what you think it tells you? tounge2.gif

It's not possible to make a vehicle addon which let you shoot from windows etc.

Hmmm... I have to disagree with this opinion... maybe you left some important words out.

What if you take an existing vehicle, such as a Hummer which has a machine gun attached to its roof, and add walls with windows around it so that the machine gun is inside the whole thing. Now, when we have the required LODs built into the model, wouldn't you then be able to shoot out of the windows with the machine gun? I think this could be possible. Yes, the machine gun would still be fixed to the vehicle and it couldn't be moved from its position relative to the vehicle. But shooting out of windows would then be possible.

Similarly, aren't there vehicles which have a rocket launcher on top of them. Why not extend this so that you have the walls with windows and the rocket launcer is inside the whole thing. Then maybe there could be an animation to put your character into a position so that it looks like you are holding a carriable weapon, such as an AT launcher. Even though the real weapon you are using is attached to the vehicle. The movement of the weapon attached to the vehicle could be restricted so that the character sitting in the passenger seat (gunner of the vehicle, actually) could only aim out of a window.

So, why not just position the weapons attached to the vehicles into unusual positions, such as into passenger seats, trunks, and into what else your imagination can think of.

Why not. Can anyone think of any technical restrictions which would not allow this.

I'm not an addon maker at all, sure attaching a weapon to an "unusual" position might be a workaround. But you then again have fixed positions and leaning out of a window while fire the weapon ain't possible (unless you make a new animation for that).

[...]

BTW if no one replies to your question in like 7 days, what you think it tells you? tounge2.gif

That they're on their holidays. biggrin_o.gif