Sign in to follow this  
Vultar

Couple of bad things

Well, I agree, of course you have many types of balances (and balances inside the balances) and they differ, but generally and briefly for this specific case; there must be no (over)exadurating with a realism in no direction, or a game can became literally unplayable. There must be a balance. As example; who once tried to make a (very) realistic mission for OFP (or ArmA) knows what I mean here; in some stage of development you reach a point when, because of one feature (the realism in this case) is over-used, the balance 'collapses', and the mission became pretty much unplayable.

the m107, according to some reports i read by snipers in iraq, is apparently a mobile, semi automatic m2, with a scope on. Hitting anything man sized above 1000m requires alot of luck. 2500m range is probably against bigger targets.

Let's not forget what? Please read my post before replying to me, or please make it clear who or what you are specifically replying to. Thanks. Specifically in my post, 'you' means the pilot, and 'someone else' means anyone with an LTD. Out of everything that I have heard, read, and scene dealing with LTDs, the common practice is to guide them all the way to their target. No doubt they can try to figure out where they are and where their target was. But I don't think that in practice you can call them Fire and Forget by any measure. This is specifically what I was arguing.

The maximum gross weight for a harrier to take off at sea level at 32 degrees celsius is 8000 kg. The harrier, pilot and fuel weigh 6,300. 5 gbu12's weigh 1100 kgs. The Sniper LTD weighs 200 kg. The gau12 Equalizer weighs 220 kgs, and its 300 rounds of ammunition weighs around another 65 kg.

So, 8000 - (6300 + 1100 + 200 + 220 + 65) = 115 kg.

On a cooler day at S/L, it maybe could. At higher elevations, certainly not. On warmer days? Again, certainly not. At this load out, assuming Sahrani is a hot place, it could probably lift off vertically at night but not during the day in the summer time. In bad weather, in the middle of a high pressure system, maybe it could. The point is that it could not always do it so it's up to the designers to figure out what they want to do about that. Lifting off vertically with all kinds of stores on there is likely a lot more rare than a straight forward STO, so it's not out of left field to automate the harrier to reflect that.

I didn't do anything for the Air to Air loadout, likely it would be lighter, but let's not forget that those 600 gallons of extra fuel at 6 lbs per gallon is nothing to sneeze at either!

No the pilot can guide his own LGBs was my point, if it fogs over he can still drop them using the aircrafts radar which should already have the tgt coordinates in the steerpoint in which case hes got the option of dropping them like a normal iron bomb. You don't necessarily need a laser to paint straight away either the laser only lights up in the last 3-5 seconds before impact. In aircraft such as the jaguar or A4 buddy lasing is necessary since the launching aircrafts designator isn't on a ball turret so the aircraft will lose sight of the tgt when it overflys the tgt and thats why they need a 2nd aircraft. While an AV8B can do it all without requiring a 2nd aircraft or person on the ground. As for vertical take off there are a few things I overlooked on Arma such as the addition of drop tanks and also the initial data I saw for the Harrier gave it better VTOL weight than some other sites. Even so the aircraft can still land and take off vertically and IRL they almost always land vertically on carriers. So its not good to be unable to carry out vertical landings or takeoffs. Hopefully someday someone will create a decent Harrier sim with these features as the Harrier is a cool aircraft. BTW there is probably a few configurations that allow the carriage of weapons such as rocket pods etc.

Just for clarification, I didn't say anything about the pilot not being able to guide his own bombs. I also didn't mention anything about them not being able to drop them dumb, or the techniques for lasing. Also, I didn't say anything about the gps guided bombs. I was saying that those laser guided bombs aren't fire and forget.

There was a decent harrier in Chuck Yeager's fighters anthology. That game had a bunch of cool features... It don't think it was fully combat oriented, though. It was more of a showcase, with the option of fighting- and the fighting was mostly air to air, IIRC.

the m107, according to some reports i read by snipers in iraq, is apparently a mobile, semi automatic m2, with a scope on. Hitting anything man sized above 1000m requires alot of luck. 2500m range is probably against bigger targets.

Yeah I've wondered myself since I read about BORs which looks like a cool high tech gadget for snipers.

Barret BORS

BTW balance can mean two totally different things. With balance you can either mean that each weapon (or whatever) has a complement on both sides (M16 = AK74 etc) or that you balance things to be similar to the real things: M16 and AK74 have different, but balanced values (same "measure", calculated for the same system of armor/health/hit/etc values), so that you don't have an uber M16 or AK74...

The best way is to base it on actual data rather than making them all the same for each side. Every weapon and vehicle has its pros and cons there is always a similar type of weapon or vehicle in both the east and west. There are at times though where one particular weapon type may only be available for one side in such cases you could do a similar unique weapon for the other side.

There was a decent harrier in Chuck Yeager's fighters anthology.  That game had a bunch of cool features...  It don't think it was fully combat oriented, though.  It was more of a showcase, with the option of fighting- and the fighting was mostly air to air, IIRC.

Don't worry there is a Harrier sim on the horizon.

Jet thunder

Ok then, if you want now to insult everyone who do not agree with your text copyed from some millitary sites, it's time to close this topic, yeah, just because of you all noobs who do not know what means talking on forum.

Admin or sb, close this topic and send some ppl to read rules, Im quitting. band.gif

Who are you talking too?

Ok then, if you want now to insult everyone who do not agree with your text copyed from some millitary sites, it's time to close this topic, yeah, just because of you all noobs who do not know what means talking on forum.

Admin or sb, close this topic and send some ppl to read rules, Im quitting. band.gif

Who are you talking too?

I'm also kind of confused about that response. I'm wondering what grand plan he had for the thread, what rules he thinks were broken, and who he thinks was breaking them!