Sign in to follow this  
Lepardi

ArmA freezes

I'm having this issue where arma just freezes, sound sometimes keep looping, but it is completely frozen. However, if I alt+tab, it will go to windows after some time (a minute or so)

I have added -maxmem=512 parameter. What is wrong??

Specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

OS Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)

Processor (CPU): Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Total Memory: 4096MB DDR2 800MHz RAM

Graphics Card Name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS OverClock 2

Graphics Card Chipset: GeForce 8800 GTS @ 580MHz

Graphics Card Memory: 640 MB 1800MHz

in ur CPU features list what is enabled

CE1 and etc and what are ur temps of ur GPU/CPU when idle

Don't know much about motherboard models but theres a chance the bios doesn't support the 1333 fsb (do you ever get a blue screen with some white writing that disappers to quick to read and the comp. reboots). This happened to me I told ECS (my MB manu.) and they said its common that if the MB came out before the 1333 fsb processors this happens. I got a new bios and runs perfecy now. Another way to check might be if when you boot it tells you the proccesor is running slower than in reality as the bios is not taking into account the fact that it is 1333 fsb quad pumped.

yea but the CPU Features in the bios can also change the CPU FSB Dynamicly depending on temperature and Load I have seen several S775 Boards do this which ended up freezing during games after just 5-15mins disabling the strange Dynamic FSB Changing and a newer bios combined stopped the freezing.

I have tested 2 ECS Boards that were totally unstable no matter what I threw at them ended being that the boards have a bad Regulator cause of the cheap Manufacturing they did. Which created unstable Volts for the Memory and CPU. And those motherboards were made for 1333mhz FSB as well

OP Try running the game with your CPU and Video at stock to see what happens instead of O/C

is it really possible to have 4gigs or RAM with Windows XP as stated in your specs?

it is but system is not able use them 'fully' like 64bit OS ...

real limit is around 3.5GB (usually 3.1-3.2)

I have ran the game with system running at stock speeds. Game still just freezes, I can shut it down and go play every other game I have without crashes/freezes. It's only ArmA.

You say that your sound keeps looping, you didn't state what soundcard you have.

Try updating OpenAL :  

http://www.openal.org/

Not even sure if thats an update but try reinstalling it

^Yeah forgot to mentio that. X-Fi Xtremefatal1ty soundcard. With latest XP Pro drivers. The jamming mostly happens when I shoot something, middle of the explosion effect it just freezes and stays there. Not always the sounds keep looping.