Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Forcing an event

Does anyone know whether it's possible to force an event, say "fired", to happen in code?

Short of making the thing that triggers the event happen? No. However, if you really want a fired event to run on something, you could just make the unit fire, or just run the script on the unit manually.

Short of making the thing that triggers the event happen? No. However, if you really want a fired event to run on something, you could just make the unit fire, or just run the script on the unit manually.

Bleah. I didn't think so smile_o.gif

Trying to think of solutions to this problem I have.

If you did know which unit fires without the fired EH going off, why would you need the EH anyway?

You can instantly set off a "fired" EH on a gamelogic with a weapon using the "useWeapon" action with no weapon discharge in the game world.

If you did know which unit "fires" without the fired EH going off, why would you need the EH anyway?

Well I dunno - I'm casting about for solutions. The problem I have is that MP clients throwing grenades do not appear to be triggering a global "fired" event, but may well be triggering a local one. If I can somehow force a local "fired" event to then instantiate a global one it would solve a big problem I have.

The smoke is seen globally, though, right?

Yep - the smoke is fine. It's a really, really odd problem. I guess what you're getting at, with your keen lawyer's mind, is that the server has some knowledge of the fired event, right? smile_o.gif

And you're right I suppose. But as far as the scripting engine goes, I'm not seeing the (throw) fired event the way I see every other fired event.

hehehe

I don't know about keen, but preen maybe? wink_o.gif

Anyway, I can kinda see how the "throw" event might not be conveyed (although something would have to trigger the right animation). Maybe looking to some other event to get the source point of the smoke? Any explosion would trigger the viewblock, right?

If its a specific unit, or even a few, you could count their grenades and back door it that way.

Is the smoke grenade is a global object, ie not created locally on each client?