Sign in to follow this  
Rambo-16AAB

Any way to block 1 specific mod from a server???

I need to be able to block XAM mod users from my servers. There appears to be a problem with this mod when a user has it, and the server doesnt. The server goes apesh!t and it also causes other clients playing who dont have it to crash out. Our server logging shows this consistantly whenever an XAM mod user joins our server.

So, any way it can be scripted to block this mod and this mod alone huh.gif

I think there is another thread about this, I think it came to the conclusion that you can't

Although, not sure if this works or not, but if you install the Xam mod on the server, it doesn't crash, even if the clients have the mod or not (still won't be a requirement to join)

Just block them all with the equalmod required parameter.

Anyone desperate to run a sound mod or something can easily get around it if they know how (not posting it here). It just prevents people from joining with XAM by mistake.

I run the Scope adjustment mod myself and i dont want that blocked. I dont want to blanket block all mods just because Xam mod causes the problems.

I run the Scope adjustment mod myself and i dont want that blocked. I dont want to blanket block all mods just because Xam mod causes the problems.

I understand.

Signatures are one way you could do it, but most addons haven't been signed - mine included confused_o.gif

Maybe stick up a warning message on the server asking people not to use it. I'm sure you will get some idiots that ignore it, but it could help.

Only real solution I can think of is to wait for addon makers to sign their stuff.

As for now, well I'm sure you know how to use that addon even with the equalmod parameter, not a great solution but maybe a temporary one whistle.gif

BIS I hope you are listening. This would be a great feature for us Server Admins. The ability to create a list of approved MODs/Addons signed or unsigned. Anything else is rejected.

BIS I hope you are listening. This would be a great feature for us Server Admins. The ability to create a list of approved MODs/Addons signed or unsigned. Anything else is rejected.

That's what the signature system is for.

Forcing/blocking unsigned addons is useless, because anyone can rename an addon to get around it.

Currently our servers have " NO XAM MOD PLEASE" in the server name. Hopefully players will take notice or they will get upset when an admin kicks them.

Quote[/b] ]That's what the signature system is for.

Forcing/blocking unsigned addons is useless, because anyone can rename an addon to get around it.

No, it would quite help, as mostly people with malicious intent would rename an addon. That's mainly cheaters.

Cheaters will most likely find a very easy way to work around the signature system anyway. Check the first post scriptum here: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/quake-cheats.html

But the problem discussed here in the thread is caused by inexperienced users using mods. A list with allowed addons would help here already. Signatures provide some nice advantages for version management though. If addon creators use the system properly.

Doesn't Equal mod check the server mods and only allows what the server is running huh.gif

Yes, but mods like the scope adjustment mod are Client based only. If I installed that mod on the server, then run the equal mod switch then everyone would need to have the scope mod. As stated, I only need to block XAM mod.

Here's how you block it.... but you have to modify each mission. In init.sqf:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

if (isClass (configFile / "CfgPatches" / "XAM_classes")) then {

player sideChat "You are running XAM. Please leave now or you will be locked up in 30 seconds.";

[] spawn {

sleep 20;

player sideChat "10 seconds left!";

sleep 10;

player sideChat "Sorry! Now you must ALT-F4";

while {true} do {disableUserInput true};

};

};

Semi-extreme..

Doolittle

Nice try though.

we have way to many missions to edit every one to do that. If the script could be run in the server config file it would be worth doing.

It could be made as a server side addon. I don't have any way to test it myself and I'm not so great at MP scripting so I can't do it easily. But maybe someone else can.

Nice try though.

we have way to many missions to edit every one to do that. If the script could be run in the server config file it would be worth doing.

Okay, try this... you don't have to edit all missions. I had forgotten your question had spurred me on to making the Global Server Config addon in the first place..