Sign in to follow this  
GIJOE94

AK-74 or m16?

Which do you prefer: The Russian Automatic klashnikov ak-74 or the American M16?

M16A4 or A2? I know they're basicaly the same but it may affect some people choices.

[i have had some bad experiences with the AK system before]

I shot a AK101 a month ago and I have to say that the recoil is much stronger than M16's.

The accuracy was ok. Not really good but ok...

Its pretty heavy and the handling sucks. The fire selector is crap imho and you can't reload when save crazy_o.gif .

Trigger can't be matched to M16 ones.

What I like is the disassembly. No pins at all. Even the bolt head is just locked into the bolt by turning.

So far pretty well constructed.

The receiver top is rediculous. You can't mount sh*t on this wobbly thing. You need a sidemount and have to drill holes into the body to screw this to the weapon. Ok... newer ones have a preinstalled rail.

Problems of the M16 are well known so far but I am someone who likes to keep his weapons nice and clean.

I prefer the M16.

I would never say that one of both these rifles is better than the other. I just like the M16 more because it matches my demanings on a rifle more than the AK74 (or others).

Many Spetsnaz units are changing back to the original AK due to problems with the '74, particularily the 5.45mm bullet which is reputedly underpowered.

I can understand this decision because these guys are well trained to take some recoil...

But the 7,62x39 is also not that effective...

The relation from power to recoil is not good.

Actually, the M16 uses 5.56mm ammo, and it does roughly the same amount of damage that a 7.62 would, it has something to do with the type of gunpowder that is used.

Some soldiers say it "tumbles" through the air.

Sigh..

The good old AK vs M16 topic... icon_rolleyes.gif

We all know that there are many other rifles on the (black) market that are reliable AND accurate such as the G36 and the Steyr AUG.

If I was running a private military contractor company, militia, terrorist cell etc. then the choice would be the best I could get for the current budget I have.

In war I think it wouldn't matter much with what kind of bullet you shoot at your enemies. What matters most is that bullets hit your enemies.

If I was running a private military contractor company, militia, terrorist cell etc. then the choice would be the best I could get for the current budget I have.

Thats the general idea, but often when you need to arm as many people as possible the AK is the only choice.

Well lets see the M16 is American so it's obviously better.

So I pick the M16 not a commie piece of crap.

Well lets see the M16 is American so it's obviously better.

So I pick the M16 not a commie piece of crap.

Solely based on facts..

I'd go for the AK-47( ! ). Reason is simple: Cheap to produce, reliable and easy to clean and maintain. And at closer range the 7.62 x 39 mm bullet can easier go trough different materials the 5.56 x 45 mm NATO can't handel.

But for accuracy I'd go for the M16, but not for UO.

Aw jeeze, not this shit again. banghead.gif

People, this thread is going nowhere, ok? I'm locking it as this already is turning in to a problematic thread.