Sign in to follow this  
madmedic

3 gunners in a helicopter?

Can a helicopter have a gunner sitting in the co-pilot seat, AND have the two door gunner positions?

Guest RKSL-Rock

Yes its possible. You have to define custom sources fo the turrest but it works. I had a 3 turret Lynx and Merlin working a while ago.

Yes its possible.  You have to define custom sources fo the turrest but it works.  I had a 3 turret Lynx and Merlin working a while ago.

Awesome...thanks

So, would the proxies be like this? : "gunner01" (in copilot seat), "gunner02", and "gunner03" (in the turrets)

This will help me out greatly, if I can make a sort of "psuedo co-pilot" by putting a gunner in the copilot seat and give him radar, but no weapons. (which would make him kind of like an RIO)

Guest RKSL-Rock
Yes its possible.  You have to define custom sources for the turrets but it works.  I had a 3 turret Lynx and Merlin working a while ago.

Awesome...thanks

So, would the proxies be like this? : "gunner01" (in copilot seat), "gunner02", and "gunner03" (in the turrets)

This will help me out greatly, if I can make a sort of "psuedo co-pilot" by putting a gunner in the copilot seat and give him radar, but no weapons. (which would make him kind of like an RIO)

Helicopter can have any amount of working turrets , but try to do the same trick with planes wink_o.gif

It works on pretty much anything.  The RKSL Herc has 6 crew positions.

<ul>

- Pilot

- Co-Pilot (Gunner 01)

- Flight Engineer (Gunner 02)

- Load Master (Gunner 03)

- Left Door Loadmaster (Gunner 04)

- Right Door Loadmaster (Gunner 05)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Turrets

{

class MainTurret : NewTurret

{

body = "";

gun = "";

gunnerName = "CoPilot";

commanding = -1;

memoryPointsGetInGunner = "pos gunner";

memoryPointsGetInGunnerDir = "pos gunner dir";

weapons[] = {};

magazines[] = {};

castGunnerShadow = true;

viewGunnerShadow = true;

gunnerAction = "UH60_Pilot";

gunnerInAction = "UH60_Pilot";

};

class EngTurret : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Flight Engineer";

proxyIndex = 2;

};

class LoadieTurret : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Load Master";

proxyIndex = 3;

};

class LeftDoorLoadie : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Left Door Loadmaster";

proxyIndex = 4;

};

class RightDoorLoadie : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Right Door Loadmaster";

proxyIndex = 5;

};

};

i agree you can add any amout of turrets, but from your config i see you haven't tried to make them fire wink_o.gif try -it won't work correctly

Guest RKSL-Rock
i agree you can add any amout of turrets, but from your config i see you haven't tried to make them fire wink_o.gif try -it won't work correctly

Then you aren't defining the weapons and source properly in the model or config.

Quote[/b] ]Then you aren't defining the weapons and source properly in the model or config.

false. have you ever tried ? please do not report what you haven't tried by yourself wink_o.gif

Yes its possible.  You have to define custom sources for the turrets but it works.  I had a 3 turret Lynx and Merlin working a while ago.

Awesome...thanks

Helicopter can have any amount of working turrets , but try to do the same trick with planes wink_o.gif

It works on pretty much anything.  The RKSL Herc has 6 crew positions.

<ul>

- Pilot

- Co-Pilot (Gunner 01)

- Flight Engineer (Gunner 02)

- Load Master (Gunner 03)

- Left Door Loadmaster (Gunner 04)

- Right Door Loadmaster (Gunner 05)

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class Turrets

{

class MainTurret : NewTurret

{

body = "";

gun = "";

gunnerName = "CoPilot";

commanding = -1;

memoryPointsGetInGunner = "pos gunner";

memoryPointsGetInGunnerDir = "pos gunner dir";

weapons[] = {};

magazines[] = {};

castGunnerShadow = true;

viewGunnerShadow = true;

gunnerAction = "UH60_Pilot";

gunnerInAction = "UH60_Pilot";

};

class EngTurret : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Flight Engineer";

proxyIndex = 2;

};

class LoadieTurret : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Load Master";

proxyIndex = 3;

};

class LeftDoorLoadie : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Left Door Loadmaster";

proxyIndex = 4;

};

class RightDoorLoadie : MainTurret

{

gunnerName = "Right Door Loadmaster";

proxyIndex = 5;

};

};

Thank you so much...That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Is there any way to configure it so the player can choose which turret he gets in?...or switch between the different turrets?

Guest RKSL-Rock
look for compartment parameter;)

Look where?

You wont need to worry about the conpartment parameter if you use the code i showed you above.  Its assumed that it one compartment as default which means you can switch between positions by default using the action menu providing that the other positions are not already occupied.

When you try to get in instead of just clicking at the icon scroll through the action menu and you can choose your position.

Quote[/b] ]Then you aren't defining the weapons and source properly in the model or config.

false. have you ever tried ? please do not report what you haven't tried by yourself  wink_o.gif

Having gone back and taken a look at my original AC-130 (ArmA 1.0/1.02) test bed and confirmed it with Suma, I have to apologise.  I obviously hadn’t noticed the problem with the guns.  But please try to be less patronising next time.

So what your saying is that turrets on planes still are not possible?

Guest RKSL-Rock

You can add them and the gunner can move the turret in first person view.  BUT they can only fire along the axis of the plane.

To quote Suma directly:

Quote[/b] ]...turret support for [fixed wing] aircraft is very incomplete. Weapon positions and directions are not considered from turrets, but from the main body instead.

Well thank you for that info. I kinda figured they still weren't working.

I will concentrate on my character animations then (liking the new o2)

Might still build a fighter or two anyways

my rants:

Its pouring my mojo down the drain

WTH a chopper tilts more than a plane.You can have multiple turrets on that?

How medieval ... turrets on planes were common pre-WW1 until they figured out they could shoot through the props, Then the fighter plane was born.All war planes before then had to have a tailgunner for protection

Oh well, I may still muck with it someday

Thanks for your work involved

Quote[/b] ]...turret support for [fixed wing] aircraft is very incomplete. Weapon positions and directions are not considered from turrets, but from the main body instead.

any info we can get it fixed ?

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2739

Not likely, don't waste your time. It goes into some really esoteric stuff relating to simulated speeds and frame calculations.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Not likely, don't waste your time. It goes into some really esoteric stuff relating to simulated speeds and frame calculations.

Now there is a positive attitude if i ever heard one.

I was referring to the requests to pester the dev's about this matter. I don't remember where I saw the discussion, and it was probably internal, but 'switching the code on' introduces all sorts of weirdness due to frame rate calculations.

My point in bringing this up is that like with the demands for destructible buildings, there's all sorts of 'nice-to-have' things that when you turn them on makes the entire system go 'squiffy'. Remember, you don't have the liberty of concurrency in virtual simulations, so even microsecond linear latencies in simulation make the results go bonkers.

That's not to say that it should be just ignored and buried. Far from it, I think it would be a particularly delightful addition - working properly. But I also think that there are much higher priorities, and the community needs to be realistic and pragmatic before they go off pestering people about every last item.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I was curious, could this idea be 'tricked up' using a helo config?

Not using a helo config no. At least not in any meaningful way i can think of. But discussion are underway to find a way around it.

Quote[/b] ]I was curious, could this idea be 'tricked up' using a helo config?

1. try to force helo to fly like a plane

2. try to force helo to land like a plane (more difficult then the first one)