Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Sounds and listening so unfair

If this game is suppose to be so sim based and realistic. Then its about time we stopped overhearing the creeps/crawls and breaths of every player.

I would recommend (BIS) killing the sounds, so that walking/crawling/running/breathing isn't heard from miles away by other enemy players.

Although i loved Ofp, it was the same in that game. Why do i need to hear my own feet in anycase- Especially if others are going to hear them from miles away.

I would much favour a crawl and walk with no sound. what you think?

What?! Do you have some kind of Ultra Powerful sound card?

For me ArmA has the weakest sounds ever in a game, I often use sound to identify enemies in many tactical shooters, but in ArmA it is impossible to do (with exception of gunfire) because I hardly can't even hear close squad mates that are out of my FOV move.

What?! Do you have some kind of Ultra Powerful sound card?

For me ArmA has the weakest sounds ever in a game, I often use sound to identify enemies in many tactical shooters, but in ArmA it is impossible to do (with exception of gunfire) because I hardly can't even hear close squad mates that are out of my FOV move.

No, just a plain and simple Audigy 2 that i got 4 years ago now. Sorry that the sounds havn't worked for you in this game. Maybe you should invest in a new sound card.

Did some tests in our lan

Sometimes we can hear people reloading they;re guns from 1000 Distance. Especially if its the M24. Another thing we noticed the head phone on one the machines (Luckily the one i use) has a very wide range of HZ levels and I am able to here people crawling up to me and etc. We tested it on the other 3 machines with varying Headphone lvls and sound cards ranging from Auidgy,Audigy Platinum EX, Audigy 2, Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum PRO and XFI Elite Pro. We tried Onboard but it was pretty horrible.

What we did discover was that cheap headphones or low range of HZ lvls heard less and was not as distinguishable with ranges sometimes a chopper would sound far away when it was actually over you or the opposite where it far away and you can hear it loud as day. Between the sound cards it made no diff in the quality and ranges of the sounds at all. Except the XFI (it needed the new Beta drivers or there was excessive static and blips here and there)

Some ways the sounds move in the game are wrong but we all know that but sometimes it comes down to your Speakers/Headphones. We did not have access to the USB headphones though we particulary do not like them

ArmA, like OFP is very hardware dependent as for sounds.

If you happen to have "the wrong" sound card / headset, you can

end up with very limited awareness of sounds at (long) distance.

The other part is the configs.

The sound levels can be tweaked via the config (how far a sound

can be heard).

The FDF soundpack did change the default ones (to the better?).

There are quite a few different config values available to tweak them.

Overall note that you should NOT use EAX.

Most times it is buggy as hell in ArmA.

Hardware accel is only recommended, if your soundcard supports

256(?) channels (as far as i know, not certain about that).

In addition you should be aware that ArmA tries to simulate

sound reflection / dampening on objects / terrain (not perfect,

but works okay).

Final note: sonic crack effect is reported to be buggy as the

playback is only mono and therefore no awareness of direction

possible (very grave gameplay bug imho).

CBTS: 2143: Bullet supersonic crack sounds are played back mono

i own X-Fi and IMHO using last 2 beta drivers from CL seems to offer best positional audio in OpenAL games ...

that's why i use EAX because it's definitely easier to pinpoint source of sound etc.

tho latest beta driver got some echo issues in some games

i'm not sure if they 'right or wrong' behaviour smile_o.gif