Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

ArmA Doesn't Start. [Image Inside]

Game Specs:

Downloaded online from Morphicon (Download comes as version 1.08).

Specs:

8800GTX

4GB Ram

Quad Core 6600

450GB Left on HDD.

Windows Vista x32 Business Edition. (New, Genuine, 110% Legal).

The fact that I've run the game in compatibility mode, updated vista, changed nvidia drivers from new to old and back again. I've reinstalled the game by first uninstalling.. and redownloaded (w/no other applications running). My new PC seems like it cannot play ArmA...

What I see:

1. I click ArmA:

image1rc0.jpg

2. After it loads, the screen goes black and doesn't change. Ever. No audio is played ether.

image2kn3.jpg

Kinda sucks. I dump $2,100 on a new rig and cannot play ArmA.. Bioshock works fine, HL2 SP Works Fine, Rainbow Vegas + GR2 Works Fine... Hmm... :-/

Dual boot with XP and disable one gig ram?

Others have this type of setup and have it working...

Plus my copy of XP is trashed, and don't feel like downloading an illegal copy. I'd rather run this on Vista with my current setup.

I know others have similar setups.

I'm using 64bit Vista.

with 158.24 whql drivers, I was able to use 4x1 gig mem, but sli wouldn't work for ArmA.

I'm now using 163.44beta b/c sli works, but had to disable half of my memory...or mine would load as yours (I believe if you waited long enough, a distorted screen will eventually appear).Sample

I'm waiting on Nvidia to get both 4gig memory and sli to work together.

SWAT, yea you were right. I let the game go for awhile at watched some television in the meantime.

The game looked like this:

nevermindyx7.jpg

And the audio continued to skip every .7 seconds.

I'll try that version of drivers, but I hope Bioshock still works (4 hours of tweaking and driver changing to make that work).

1. How exactly do I disable some RAM for this game? It's been a while... tell me that I physically have to take it out confused_o.gif

My bios offers "Memory Hole Remapping", which I disabled.

Not sure what your setup offers.

This is not an exclusive Nvidia issue. ATI

I'm sure this is posted somewhere in the bug tracker correct?

--

Getting those drivers now.*

edit: Downloaded the drivers. The game worked... for 2 minutes and crashed... so, am I now in the same boat as many others... sad_o.gif

ArmA on Vista without hotfixes & without 163.xx drivers require you to run with -maxmem=256 or at the most -maxmem=512 (behind parameter line of arma shortcut)

ArmA on Vista with hotfixes & with 163.xx drivers work afaik even without or at least with -maxmem=512 but only if you do not have 4GB installed. Posted the issue to Nvidia to see if we can get somewhere with them.

Posted the issue to Nvidia to see if we can get somewhere with them.

As I have as well. I sent them an email and have yet to hear from them. (As of September 2nd).

Oh well, I'm starting to look out of the box and have noticed other games. ArmA will always be there, but will remain in my rear-view mirror until these companys all step up. However long this collaborative effort lasts.

Is there anything software related that BIS can send to nvidia/microsoft in terms of compatibility?

As posted in a different post I now have this issue with ArmedA. This really suxs since Vista 64/4GB really runs so much better (and with other games). The increase in performance was well worth the cost of getting the additional matching Memory - IMO.

I guess I am lucky I have that Memory Hole option, since it will basically disable 1GB of memory without having to pull a stick. However, that is still a big pain to reboot my PC, change the BIOS to play ArmedA.

Its not like ArmedA came out 3 years ago and Vista yesterday. I am pretty sure ArmedA was released *after* Vista was released...

That doesnt change the fact that BI does not support Vista, nor has it taken Vista things into consideration while developping (afaik).

It's a good thing they concentrated on XP but I also believe that it's time that Vista is going to be taken into consideration and some support comes available for it, but as long as that is not the case, it is up to us to get it running and can not do more than hope that either Nvidia or BI address the issue.

As posted in a different post I now have this issue with ArmedA. This really suxs since Vista 64/4GB really runs so much better (and with other games).

I use Vista-64 with 4 GiB RAM and the nVidia 158.24 drivers on a 8800 GTS. ArmA plays fine. (I'm also using the -maxmem=512 "trick")

Unfortunately, later(*) drivers has issues with ArmA and the Vista-64/4 GiB combination

(*) 162.22 and, reportedly, the newer 163.69's.