Sign in to follow this  
Asusgamer

Can't Play Arma

When I start the game up, it gives me the 10/12 boxes and goes straight to a box that says that Arma has encountered an error and must close.

I've tried running the game as an admin and that was no luck. I've updated my system as good as I could and have reinstalled DX9.0c and OpenAL. I have the latest Non-beta drivers from Nvidia installed as well.

My system specs are below:

E6600 Core 2 duo

eVGA 8800gtx

2G Ballistics DDR2-800

Asus P5B-Deluxe Motherboard

X-fi Fatality series sound card

Antec True Power 550 watt PSU

The demo would run into the same problems when I attempted to run it.

I'm open to suggestions as to what it might be because I'm clueless. I'm not an overclocker.

The following is the data from the error report that I get:

AppName: arma.exe AppVer: 1.8.0.5163 ModName: unknown

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 76724449

I haven't installed any mods for the game or anything. I haven't been able to start it up and play it yet and have updated it to the newest patch.

Got any suggestions?

My arma goes to 10/12 boxes and normaly starts.. but now it doesnt, and i dont even get an error message? It looks likes its loading normaly but then doesnt do anything.

Try using maxmem=512, that sorted out any ArmA problems that I had with my 8800.

Also try running with nomap and which ever the other is, check the wiki. This may bypass something.

Also try a search people have had simillar problems so them threads may also help.

i use maxmem=256 becuase any higher it crashes with my 8800 huh.gif

Ive just installed the lastest OpenAl from last month and my game loaded straight away.. so the problem has gone. smile_o.gif

Try Updating it again? smile_o.gif

Well got it working to the point where I can log in to servers and play it.

I have the following switches turned on if someone else is having some issues:

-maxmem=512 -nosplash -nomaps -dsound

if I swap -dsound with -openol I'm back to the same error message as before. Guess the game doesn't like my Fatality X-fi. In game made with EAX turned on/off still causes it to crash out.

My arma goes to 10/12 boxes and normaly starts.. but now it doesnt, and i dont even get an error message? It looks likes its loading normaly but then doesnt do anything.

My game randomly does this sometimes aswell for no reason. A reinstall of the game usually does the trick though wink_o.gif

My game randomly does this sometimes aswell for no reason. A reinstall of the game usually does the trick though  wink_o.gif

Yup, its really irritating, it does it to me too sometimes.

Take out your modfolders and everything and stick them in a temp directory. Uninstall the game, delete the ArmA folder if anything is left behind. Reinstall the game, patch, paste your mod folders back into the ArmA folder and it should run yay.gif

I fixed the problem already. I posted above. If I put -dsound in the target line the game starts fine.

I have no mods installed and all is up to date. The game starts up now with extremely loud screeches like when a soldiers voice is going to be played on the main screen, it screeches it. I've disabled the EAX and that isn't the problem. Next step is uninstall sound drivers and reinstall with a fresh install of OpenAL.

Found a few other things to hopefully solve my ingame crashes. Last night, I was talking to the guys I play with on Vent and the next thing I know its dead silent. Alt tab out and all other programs were shut down because I ran out of virtual memory. I couldn't even bring up task manager. Once I closed Arma, I got all of my memory back and I was allowed to run programs again.

Think that has to do with me having page files still turned on so Im goin to turn them off tonight and see how it goes.

Seems that after playing with my squad for awhile, the game will crash out on me with an error. I've put the maxmem=256,512,1024, and 2048 in there and each still will crash out after an hour or so of playing.

Also going to install it on my Vista partition later tonight to see if Vista has the same troubles with it.

I'll keep ya afloat to help any others that might be having a similiar problem with things crashing out. I think my sound card might have some problems with the game. It works fine for Americas Army, Counter Strike, WoW, and BF2. It just doesn't like Arma.

It seems to be, that OpenAL have to be reinstalled every time a new videodriver is installed.

btw. As an user of an GeForce 7600GS, i never had to reinstall ArmA.

If the files don`t get corrupted by faulty HDD drivers, or defect hard disc`s, a re-installation should not be needed.

My ArmA installation still works fine, after many month of use.