Sign in to follow this  
fasad

Roads

I'm going to presume you mean 'key part' of road.

The 'key part' of a road net is the single piece that you build a road net from.

You choose the 'key part' when you click on the map (when the 'Panel of Objects' window is displaying Road networks) when you want to lay a road, depending on the road types you have defined in your roads definitions.

key parts can be:

a straight piece of the road type

a special piece of the road type

a terminator piece of the road type

a crossroad piece

Whichever piece you choose, it becomes the beginning point of the road net you will build.

Once you have laid the 'key part' you can double click it and choose which end (if it has 2 ends or more, if it is a terminator it will only have one end to use) to add road pieces to.

Once you have chosen which end to add to, another dialog appears and you can now add road pieces to the end you chose.

The whole island road network will be composed of small road nets built this way and joined together to make up the whole network

Planck

Yups, this is exactly what i meant (key part)

Big thanks for this elegant explenation! thumbs-up.gif

lol nener.gif

No it was i who said it wrong from the beginning.

It's just that Planck has got some scary knowledge of always

understanding even if the question is formulated compeltely wrong.

yay.gif

Okay, now that I can see the roads on the map, this is what I get when I attempt to place a road network. Obviously I would like a straight line, but the program created this:

Road.jpg

Defining a short section of road doesn't work either, the program seems to want to curve no matter what.

So my question is - is there a way to avoid this?

If not, then how do I create a functioning road? Will placing each segment of road connect them? That is, will they function as roads in the sim if placed individually and not in a network? Or do I have to edit each of the networks pieces in order to straighten the road.

And while I'm asking, is there a way to edit roads in Bulldozer like you can move and rotate objects?

Thanks for the help. smile_o.gif

There is a way to manually place roads one segment at a time. It's obviously slower but gets better results. The road placement algorithm seems to love curves...

Double click on a key part. Click "modify dir <X>". Double click on the parts to add them.

Based on my OFP experience, you can generally create "informal" road intersections by terminating a road near/on/under another, but AI driving performance is generally worse than with true junction pieces.

hmm, im getting roads disapearing, or getting misplaced, after buildling for awhile. im using asf and ces roads ?

anyone know whats going on? or what road types we should be using with out problems.?

Another question:

What factor determines how different roads are drawn on the map when they are overlaid?

I have situations where the special intersection symbols do not work. I would like to have to have the highway road type (sil) lay on top of the asphalt roads (asf), unimproved roads (ces and dces). Sometimes this works. In other situations the asf and ces types overlay the sil road type. Logic would indicate that either the first road type placed or the very last one placed would be the one visible, but this is not the case... huh.gif