Sign in to follow this  
fasad

Roads

Has anybody successfully added ANY road object to the roads tool's configuration? All the P3D's I've tried result in

Quote[/b] ]Object doesn't follow requirements for road object.

( Are there all named points present?)

I've managed to force visitor to accept some odol p3ds from CA\roads into the road definitions, but then the tool works very poorly if at all - it doesn't place roads the correct distance from each other, and buldozer crashes very frequently. I assume the error message is for a genuine reason, and the p3ds are not what V3 wants. So, what road p3ds are we meant to use?

I was able to define some road objects using the tools/New Road Objects menu. This allowed me to place them on the map one by one. The function of the Roads tab still eludes me though.

EDIT

Yeah I was trying out the road networks thing in the manual, but couldn't quite get it to work. And some road objects messed up my layers or some such, so the textures went away and wouldn't come back...

OK these roads are killing me. Has anyone had any luck setting up a road network so far? My steps so far.

1. Go to tools/road

2. put in a name (i put in silnice, seemed like the thing to do)

3. click straight parts -> browse and pick silnice25.p3d.

4. Error pops up and V3 crashes.

I'm pretty sure silnice25 is a straight one-lane piece of road.

You are doing it right, there were no changes in laying roads since Visitor Lite. Avoid using "New Roads Objects" tab, it is obsolete in V3 Personal Edition.

The tools is release candidate and certainly needs to be fixed.

Thanks for the confirmation Edge.

As mentioned in another thread, unbinarized roads will be released as part of full V3 PE suite. Unfortunately, binarization gets rid of anchoring points in Memory LOD, so binarized roads are impossible to use. Simpliest way to get you workable data would be to release set of P3Ds from roads.pbo, which will be done. smile_o.gif

By the way, thanks for your feedback on the road issue.

I have two question regarding roads.

#1: There are a few road objects in ArmA that I'd REALLY like to use, here's a picture of them:

roadjx5.jpg

But problem is that they have no texture for the in game map, will this be fixed? Otherwise I don't think we could use them.

#2: Does AI interact with road objects that are placed manually the same way as if they were placed with the road tool?

-edit-

Oh and another thing, turns out some roads also show up as completely black in game, can't believe I just spent several hours placing roads that did that. sad_o.gif

Nah, new version is just out. Road placement works, but...

Why I can't see the road growing when I place the elements?

Why I can't move the map during it (modal dialog window)?

For the first try it is a bit uncomfortable. I give it a second chance, but no more :/

Somebody should write a quick tutorial on laying roads, I'm tired of having to figure so much stuff out on my own.

My "technique" (as i remember from yesterday night after 13 hours of work):

- Install the full package. Find the roads in CA\... Move them to P: drive if you need (I had to move all the thing to an other drive, why can't the installer place all the things in a place selected by user?!wink_o.gif

-open road tool

-create a road type (Why isn't there any pre-generated? Do we have to do it for every island?) with name "XXX" and adding some straight/curve/other parts.

-in the object window select "Road..."

- Selecto your road type "XXX"

- Click (or doubleclick?) on map. Put down _any_ part.

- Click (or double?) on it. A dialog opens. On the bottom right there are buttons. Use them. (*1) -> New dialog opens. (A modal one! L.O.L.)

- Select a road element, and put it by button. No, you can't see the road "growing", just in the lest listbox. Press apply. Then you will see your road. banghead.gif

(*1) You can build your road in both direction.

Maybe there is a more sophisticated way to build roads. Automatic solution just selecting key points? Don't know...

Quote[/b] ]#1: There are a few road objects in ArmA that I'd REALLY like to use... But problem is that they have no texture for the in game map, will this be fixed? Otherwise I don't think we could use them.

We did not use this road for the map, but you can make similar models yourself based on the unbinarized road P3Ds which were released lately.

In-game map - you need to add a named property to a model, I suggest you to read Map Symbols on wiki for details.

Quote[/b] ]#2: Does AI interact with road objects that are placed manually the same way as if they were placed with the road tool?

What do you mean by "manually"? Defining P3Ds as artificial objects or clicking teh sequence in Road Tool? Models should work either way, provided model has the Memory LOD with points from which road network is calculated.

Quote[/b] ]... turns out some roads also show up as completely black in game, can't believe I just spent several hours placing roads that did that. sad_o.gif

Some of the road P3D have totally wrong materials, I suggest to use only Road Tool AND unbinarized objects. It is possible to make your own working models. Same as in our recent discussion about addonmakers specialized on houses - would be great if someone will try to make e.g. desert roads...

Quote[/b] ]Maybe there is a more sophisticated way to build roads.

I am sorry to say there is not.

...are you guys aware that in the roads.pbo there are 139 p3d model files. and of those 139, seventy (70) are just standard mlod p3dm format?

which means you can open them in O2PE without a problem...

if you are aware then good'o... if not then here is a list of them fyi...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

\ca\roads\asf10 100.p3d

\ca\roads\asf10 25.p3d

\ca\roads\asf10 50.p3d

\ca\roads\asf10 75.p3d

\ca\roads\asf12.p3d

\ca\roads\asf25.p3d

\ca\roads\asf6.p3d

\ca\roads\asf6konec.p3d

\ca\roads\asf6_prechod.p3d

\ca\roads\ces10 100.p3d

\ca\roads\ces10 25.p3d

\ca\roads\ces10 50.p3d

\ca\roads\ces10 75.p3d

\ca\roads\ces12.p3d

\ca\roads\ces25.p3d

\ca\roads\ces6.p3d

\ca\roads\ces6konec.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d10 100.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d10 25.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d10 50.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d10 75.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d12.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d25.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d6.p3d

\ca\roads\ces_d6konec.p3d

\ca\roads\kos10 100.p3d

\ca\roads\kos10 25.p3d

\ca\roads\kos10 50.p3d

\ca\roads\kos10 75.p3d

\ca\roads\kos12.p3d

\ca\roads\kos25.p3d

\ca\roads\kos6.p3d

\ca\roads\kos6konec.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_asfaltka_asfaltka_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_asfaltka_cesta_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_asfaltka_sil_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_asf_asf_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_asf_ces_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_asf_sil_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_kos.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_kos_kos_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_kos_sil_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_silxsil.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_sil_asf_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_sil_ces_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_sil_kos_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_sil_sil_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_new_sil_sil_t_test.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_silnicexsilnice.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_silnice_asfaltka_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_silnice_cesta_t.p3d

\ca\roads\kr_silnice_silnice_t.p3d

\ca\roads\sil10 100.p3d

\ca\roads\sil10 25.p3d

\ca\roads\sil10 50.p3d

\ca\roads\sil10 75.p3d

\ca\roads\sil12.p3d

\ca\roads\sil25.p3d

\ca\roads\sil6.p3d

\ca\roads\sil6konec.p3d

\ca\roads\sil6_prechod.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_6.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_LP_6.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_predX_6.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_T_12.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_X_12.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_zJZ.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_zVS.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_zZJ.p3d

\ca\roads\Silnice_mesto_zZS.p3d

the other 69 are odolv40 format which of course are not useable in O2PE...

ps. sorry if this info. was previously posted...

ps2. sorry, lol i just realized i'm looking at the P:\ drive roads folder which was obviously updated with mlod versions during vistor installation...

Hi All

Ok, i ben messing with visitor for a while with no good result,

today after i install the new version, i just found a way to place thoses roads, with a simple click, i'm sure that it isn't the right way, but for me it work.

i'll try to explain it, but i'm sorry for my english.

Ok her we go

1- place any part of raod in your map, select it

2- now go to athor place in the map where you want your road to end, and hold down the left CTRL or shift and click the left mouse button on that end place on the map , you will have a message "and here what i said that it isn't the right way to do that, read the massage and you will understand what i mean", and just select yes and a road network will be created.

The probleme is that it will be created in a randon way.

I don't know if this way was allerady mention some where in the forum, hope that will help.

Hi,

Thank you JFK, I'll try this method. I saw something "max slope" or similar in a dialog somewhere. Maybe that will help placing roads. And if you do not want to create too long segments, maybe it is better...

I'll try this tonight.

Those some one know if there is a way to edit the road network once created, because when you will select it it will be just one part, and as i just mention it, with this method, you will have a random form of road netwok.

Double click any part of a road network to be able to edit it.

You then get the option to edit a particular branch from the key road piece.

This can be A,B or C if it is a 'T' piece.

Once selected you can delete or add to the road pieces making up that particular part of the road net.

Planck

Hi Planck,

Thanks for the reply. Finaly the secret of ROAD in visitor is particuly solved, unless for me.

Okay I'm beginning to understand roads, what a highly impractical way of doing it crazy_o.gif

Why doesn't the engine use splines that can have road textures assigned to it instead? Oh well I guess it's better than laying them out as objects.

Guys,

Have you figures out how to build a road eficiently?

When I use a select start point - ctrl clik for end point method the road it a joke... A 3 years old child draws a better road :/

It is possible to set the "costs" for curves and other things. Is there any proper setup for that?

what a highly impractical way of doing it

Why doesn't the engine use splines that can have road textures assigned to it instead? Oh well I guess it's better than laying them out as objects.

you just say it, we can place road know but it still take a lot of time, i imagine the work that you have done with your map, you must have a lot of patien.

hope that Alex sworn tool will be better.

i know it's off topic, but i want you to thank you for the great work that you do, the tuto, and that great map.

Quote[/b] ]i imagine the work that you have done with your map, you must have a lot of patien.

You don't say, I've spent half the time working at laying roads by hand on Sakakah, so much time lost. confused_o.gif

Have you figures out how to build a road eficiently?

When I use a select start point - ctrl clik for end point method the road it a joke... A 3 years old child draws a better road :/

It is possible to set the "costs" for curves and other things. Is there any proper setup for that?

Infortunally eficiently = Time

But you can always try what PLANCK explain in his post, it's better than the methode that i mention, and i admit that it creat the road netwok in a strange way, but what caught my intention in this methode is the message that shown befor creating the road, and i hope that i'm not looking in the wrong way, "still looking to understand"

Hello again,

I start using the road tool yesterday and all is fine, not all road parts are usable by default but i used the SIL parts and these work ok.

Bit of a trick to get them nicely ovelapping your satelite picture road, which was not possible for all parts, so we have to edit (fotoshop) the sat a bit, no biggy, just bit of work.

But now the thing !!!

SCRIPTS !!!

I tryed to use the "SmoothRoad.vis" script, i dont know how long i sould let it run, but after 20 minutes i stopped it, i didnt seem to work, or maybe it is taking a VERY LONG time.

Anybody able to comment on that ?

Later,

Alphons

Smoothroads script runs fine here.

After choosing the road net you wish to smooth run the script.

It will ask you to set some parameters:

Smoothing method...

Range...

Or you can just go with what is already set.

Average time taken is less than a minute, depends on the road net and the terrain.

Planck

Thanks, let it run once more and indeed after 28 minutes it had it all done.

Very nice thanks, it just needed bit more time on this map smile_o.gif

Later,

Allie