Sign in to follow this  
prodetar2

Raggdol

something ive been missing in ofp and arma letely is the "raggdol software" no more special dying anims.. just all random drops. most new games have this feature any chance of seeing this in the future? smile_o.gif

for those of you who dont know what raggdol is.

raggdol make a soldier (or any human/alien) fall in any way you can imagin. like getting shot while standing on a ledge orso and simply slide down, not like ofp that the body is hanging in the air staticly. and when u place an explosive orso near it that it will move all strangfe ways. arms and lags flapping in the air smile_o.gif would be cool

just take alook at Max Payne 2. that game has raggdol soft. halo2 also. not much, but its there!

if only this feature is in future ofp games  inlove.gif

would improve realisme alot biggrin_o.gif

it will move all strangfe ways. arms and lags flapping in the air smile_o.gif would be cool

Hehe  biggrin_o.gif  well...

Just "ragdoll" is not good enough alone. You said it yourself, "it will move all strange ways.

In a human body there are resistance, springs, dampeners. There are forces which try to prevent arms and "lags" flapping in the air. Simulating all that requires more than just putting "ragdoll" into a game.

You can try just "ragdoll" yourself with some freely available game engine components, set your character to have ragdoll physics, and see if you can get natural looking movement for the character. Then ask yourself a question: do I want that into ArmA 2?

The point is, it's much more complicated than just "ragdoll".

We already had such a discussion when ArmA was announced.

And again, I don't think it will increase the realism. It will increase the strange realism just for those, who like watching others die with the most weird dislocations. Ragdoll demands additional equations what of course will increase the overall costs regarding calculations by the engine. Imagine 64 Players on a Battlefield2 match with ragdoll and then imagine 600 avatars (AI and players) on a match in ArmA2 utilizing ragdoll.

I think there are pretty much other things to calculate.

Of course you can make use of multicores since ArmA2 seems to implement distributed calculations, but i hope BIS will follow their own ideal: 'War is not funny!' And ragdoll imho just appeals to the lowest instincts of a human being - nothing more. If your game has no attracting base frame and nothing spectacular within, implement ragdoll to get the 'wooooooohaaaaaas' and 'wows'. That's the modern style of making games: Leave out substance and replace the missing space with eyecandy.

Ragdoll fits to games like the BF series and Max Payne imho, but not to simulators that want to portray the way war is - just not funny. And to be honest, i wouldn't even have time to watch that freaky movements in a good combat situation in ArmA. So why implement it?

For example, 24 -The game- has über nice ragdoll, it is realistick, they dont just fall and their muscles resist strange movements in air and etc.. also, resistance fall of man, has that kind of efect too. also the bullet holes could be fixed, so many things are done lazilly in arma... voices, South and north sahrani, thy speak spanish, as sings and stuff say.

and the still speak with same old US accent, also this is annoying.

2, gunner, get in that H M M W V!!!!!!!!!!!!

he begins with calm voice, the he shouts suddenly the word "hmmwv",... ArmA is full of annoying things, but still I love it smile_o.gif

ok i see where your going hoot. maybe a bit more dead anims would be great then whistle.gif

asfor arma... well im keeping to ofp.

arma is less realistic then ofp whistle.gif :P

arma is good but ofp will for the time being always be better smile_o.gif

thnx for replies peeps wink_o.gif