Sign in to follow this  
{9thInf}Winchester Delta1

ARMA 2 Aircraft wishes

I honestly think ArmA 2 would be better off if they ditched playable fixed wing aircraft. As mentioned by imkompetent, the speed and engagement ranges of modern air combat are outside the scope of the ArmA (and I imagine ArmA 2) engine. Have them there, but make them operate more as a script, ie, the ability to call in an airstrike on an area, with a random number of enemy units destroyed, or a precision strike on a particular building or unit. if enemy AA units are in the area, there could be a chance the strikes don't come through. It sounds simplified but I think it would end up being more realistic from the ground perspective.

I would still like to see choppers though, with ai acting in a less "stop and go" manner, improved flight characteristics and more emphasis on the fact your flying a hi-tech piece of equipment.

This is not a FPS shooter.. Its a simulation of the battlefield. Without playable aircraft that would be suicide. Plus you don't have to fly the aircraft. Get the "scripted" Ai to fly it for you.

I don't no what you could compare that with what you just said but never mind wink_o.gif

there maps even for arma that are big enough for dogfights with supersonic jets.

by the way guys, people here arent asking bi to turn arma2 into a flight simulator its just that some things need to be simulated properly for the sake of the pilot and for the sake of the realism. having a plane or a chopper without a proper targeting system is like removing the scopes on sniper rifles. i figure most guys complaining about air sim stuff should get that comparison.

if infantry combat were anything like air you would just press tab and your rifle would automatically lock on enemies and youd just have to press fire. wheres the fun in that? arcade and mind-numbing elements like that should be left for games like BF2 and CoD4 - not arma2.

Fully agree with KNato, Air to air in ArmA is never going to be much cop. Close Air Support however, on multiplayer, with all air and ground assets controlled by humans, is amazing. This ability definately makes the game for me.

Although I guess I may be a little bias in that dept... whistle.gif

Fast Roping is defiantly a must tounge2.gif

Anyways when has any game got the flight simulation realistic except flight simulations which are all about that in the first place.

Hoping that FLIR will be introduced in ARMA2. It's really missed when doing heli missions etc. Im glad with any dergree of realism when it comes to how it works. Be it either that all vehicles/infantry is bright white or if it gets made perfectlly where only vehicles that have running engines or been using their weapons show up white.

Regards

Alex

Some of these replies are absolutely rediculous and unimaginably narrow minded. Im hearing things like jets should just be scripted or the maps are too small or this or that. DON'T use the aircraft then. I bought the sim strickly for the aircraft and the ability to get shot down and to work as a team of aircraft moving onto raid a town. I cannot ponder why people just shut down options. Aren't options good?

I know a fairly well made flight simulator will help me and my team alot. Maybe not lockon sim, but something similiar to over g would be nice. These maps are more then big enough by the way for air to air engagements. Take a look at the F-15 engagements during the gulf war.

You can argue that times have changed but there are still alot of old aircraft out there that are still limited in long range capabilities.

Grtz

Making ARMA 2 have a more simulator feel would be brilliant for us pilot types, and would take alot of work. I like the Aircraft setup in ARMA 2, the maps are just not big enough for Air/Air as you say.

Maybe ACE2 might bring a more simulator feel to ARMA 2, who knows...

there maps even for arma that are big enough for dogfights with supersonic jets.

by the way guys, people here arent asking bi to turn arma2 into a flight simulator its just that some things need to be simulated properly for the sake of the pilot and for the sake of the realism. having a plane or a chopper without a proper targeting system is like removing the scopes on sniper rifles. i figure most guys complaining about air sim stuff should get that comparison.

if infantry combat were anything like air you would just press tab and your rifle would automatically lock on enemies and youd just have to press fire. wheres the fun in that? arcade and mind-numbing elements like that should be left for games like BF2 and CoD4 - not arma2.

Wow, old post but ... brilliant post there 7! :) Very true indeed.

A question to the flyers....

I'm brand new to A2 and to flying in a game and I'm just doing bootcamp atm. I've done the VTOL bootcamp mission 5 times now and everytime I fail on the air to air combat.

I change to the air-air missiles, I mark the target, I then get behind it and get a lock on (nice bold circle in the square), shoot and everytime the missiles either completely miss or I may just nick the SU34 and see a little smoke coming out of it.

I've tried doing this from anywhere between approx 800-400m away and even wait until it's not in such a steep turn but alas.... I FAIL!

Can one of you 1337 fly jockeys maybe tell me what I'm doing wrong or even tell me how to do it right as it's sorta embarrassing :o

Signed

Flynub