Sign in to follow this  
shots74

Downloading VIA Server

Have any of you played Counter Strike?  I am sure you have, well my question is, is there a way to basicly allow clients to download the addons via from the server upon load up?  Basicly how it is right now, its bullshit because there is so many good addons that we cant use in MP because of this stupid limit.  So if there is a way could anyone advise me as to how to do it or maybe advising me some how to maybe get it in the next patch if its possible.  (Who would I have to write to).

If you ask me its a good thing!

Stops all those "Server-hoppin" TK'in action punks who have got nothing better to do than bounce around the net causing trouble. Can't have that in ArmA cuz theres so many mission types and durations unlike some other MP games.

Come to think of it, thats exactly why I ditched CS 30 mins after I tried it LOL.

Anyway, it certainly isn't a problem for 90% of the server on now, they are addon free.

It also never hurt OFP, it was exactly the same.

I think it would be cool. Could allow missions on public servers to use small addons without any problems.

There should be one central place where u could add mods and addons and then when u go in soem server ur net will take connect to that central place and dwl from there. It is not sense to dwl 1-2 Gb mods/addons from some random game servers where is already full traffic to current game. I hope BIS could find solutions whit community to this issue.

There should be one central place where u could add mods and addons and then when u go in soem server ur net will take connect to that central place and dwl from there. It is not sense to dwl 1-2 Gb mods/addons from some random game servers where is already full traffic to current game. I hope BIS could find solutions whit community to this issue.

Good point. Problem is I don't see BIS spending money on setting up their own servers for that confused_o.gif

Maybe BIS could organize something with the community.

For small addons maybe could work, for addons with big filesize not a good idea... better not come to a multiplayer lobby to download some addons weighing a couple of ten megabytes or more, I think. If a multiplayer mission has a filesize of 1 MB, that already can take a frustratingly long time to download (happened to me a couple of times that it even looked like the downloading had stopped completely, but no it was just so damn slow, and it's not my internet connection which slows it down).

For small addons maybe could work, for addons with big filesize not a good idea... better not come to a multiplayer lobby to download some addons weighing a couple of ten megabytes or more, I think. If a multiplayer mission has a filesize of 1 MB, that already can take a frustratingly long time to download (happened to me a couple of times that it even looked like the downloading had stopped completely, but no it was just so damn slow, and it's not my internet connection which slows it down).

Indeed, it would become a mess of people not knowing what they would have installed on their comp anymore.

Same addons but edited slightly by the server admins or whoever (like with missions nowadays).

What max addon size should be allowed to be downloaded?

Other players who already have the addon will have to wait until all connected players have downloaded the mission and the addons at the start of a mission.......how long are you prepared to wait? 30 Minutes?

JIP'ers will lag the server cause what happens if 5 people connect over xx minutes time and all 5 have to download 3 addons each of xx Mb?

I know I wouldnt like it.

I want to have control of whats added to my comp, I dont need a game auto-installing user created content I cant check of what exactly it is.

Dont you have to restart arma first before you can use the addon anyway?

If you want a thing like this its much better for servers using custom addons to provide a "server addon pack" with all addons in it which are used by the missions on it.

Once in a while the server admins should update that pack with all new addons and remove addons no longer used.

Just add a message in the server all connecting people can see and read where to get their server pack.

Just my dutch 1 cent.