Sign in to follow this  
cosmos33

Tutorial ???

Appart from the getting started tutorial on the wiki of BI, is there a tutorial or a place where I can find good examples to chew upon ?

I want to script, but i need a manual or something.

Indeed. If I was you I would just start from all the OFP-Tutorials. Those are really great and they still apply to ArmA as well as to OFP.

First you should get feeling of the actual "in-editor"-editing. Scripting is quite a minor and less important part for real mission makers.

Isn't there some Guy called "Mr. Murray" who made this Tutorial-Book for arma avaliable to buy in print form? Oh I fear it's only avaiable in German :/

Still you will find a lot of online-Tutorials im sure

First you should get feeling of the actual "in-editor"-editing. Scripting is quite a minor and less important part for real mission makers.

That's actually quite style dependent.

You can make a mission with almost no scripting, and you can also make a mission with almost no editor work too. Almost everyone will be somewhere inbetween, but the exact position will depend on preference, background, and mission design goals.

Being a programmer by trade, I tend to feel more at home doing something with scripts than I otherwise would be attempting to accomplish it in the editor. Personally, I use the editor to setup any units, markers, paths for units with non-dynamic paths, whatever, but use the scripting engine to actually do everything else really. I even use scripting to handle simple mission objectives and the like just because that's my style.

I don't argue that a person shouldn't get a feel for the editor, but if you prefer to, you can safely ignore some of the editor's more arcane features and handle it with scripts.

Appart from the getting started tutorial on the wiki of BI, is there a tutorial or a place where I can find good examples to chew upon ?

I want to script, but i need a manual or something.

@ cosmos33 - In addition to the above suggestions (all worth exploring), you might also want to get your hands on the BAS f mission development framework. Although it is not a tutorial, the manual and in-script comments should help you learn a fair amount about using ArmA's SQF format, and about assembling missions in general. Follow the link in my sig for more info.

- Fer <TZW>smile_o.gif

You were already pointed to my tutorial, released on OFPEC.

However, there are many more tutorials available in the Editors Depot on www.ofpec.com

More will be added for Armed Assault during the next few months. Mr. Peanut and Mandoble promised to get on a resource release frenzy soon wink_o.gif.

)rStrangelove @ July 27 2007,17:12)]These old tuts of OpF scripting give you the basics that still stand today. Try these together with looking into the ArmA wiki and you shouldn't have problems at all:

http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/resource_list.php?type=tu&cat=xyz

I understand that the logic behind this statement is good, however, as someone who has had little to no experience with OFP mission making I'm more than a little concerned when I see this repeated over and over again when new folks bring it up.

Armed Assault is not just OFP v2.0, in many ways its a whole new game.

I think it would be nice if it had it's own specific resources. The programming differences are significant enough that folks new to scripting might have unexpected problems you vets might not have when conflicts between the two games arise.

I am trying to do my part as I learn, one of the ways I'm trying is to help with the BI wiki.

Anyway, I hope this is taken as constructive criticism and not as a slam at all the thousands of hours folks put into OFP.