Sign in to follow this  
Ex-RoNiN

Which turn based strategy game did you enjoy most?

I just finished playing Civ 3 and thought about what it was like. To be honest, it wasn't that satisfactory. I don't think this is worthy of the turn-based strategy game crown. Don't misunderstand me, it is an excellent game, way better than the Call to Power series (imho), but it also isn't anything special...

Penny for your thoughts smile.gif

Civ 2 all the way. It is the best-turned based strategy I have ever played far better than call to power and ther is no real point buying Civ 3 I got Civ 2 what other turned base game would you need If you got Civ 2?

I liked age of empires 2 the most because it isnt turn based.

Has anyone got the new one called something like empire earth. Is it ant good?

civ3 really sux, and me wish me hadnt wasted my money on it, the enemys are completely aggresive and try to wipes u out straight away, even on chieftan!! mad.gif

but what really annoyed me was the combat, i spent ages developing science, developed tanks, thought "yeha! im gonna own now", sent them into battle only to have them destroyed by cavalry, and knights!!!, wtf thats not even possible!! mad.gif , i played it for 2 weeks got really fed up and havent played it since

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Black Op @ Feb. 19 2002,22:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">civ3 really sux, and me wish me hadnt wasted my money on it, the enemys are completely aggresive and try to wipes u out straight away, even on chieftan!!  mad.gif

but what really annoyed me was the combat, i spent ages developing science, developed tanks, thought "yeha! im gonna own now", sent them into battle only to have them destroyed by cavalry, and knights!!!, wtf thats not even possible!!  mad.gif , i played it for 2 weeks got really fed up and havent played it since<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, and artillery and air strikes are useless too, can't attack unless enemy units are on a road or mine, and u cant kill enemies with artillery and air strikes, really gay mad.gif

i *did* like the ICBM's though wink.gif (although the animation looked cooler in civ 2 sad.gif )

MOO2BAA all the way, that game is a CLASSIC. Its well balanced and great fun. Sucks up time like nothing else (except for Elite 3: Frontier: First Encounters)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ACT SMILEY @ Feb. 19 2002,21:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MOO2BAA all the way, that game is a CLASSIC. Its well balanced and geat fun.<span id='postcolor'>

never heard of it confused.gif

Jagged Alliance 2 and Master of Magic

Master of Magic was the best game Microprose ever produced

Total Anhilation was the king of RTS.

EDIT: oops just double checked the topic name. Though my point still remains, TA is the king of RTS tounge.gif

Combat Mission Beyond Overlord

EDIT

And Colonization of course!

JA2 and X-Com were not stratagies - they were RPGs...

I really enjoyed MOO2 and Steel Panthers I&II

I voted MOO2, although it was a tough decision. Runner-ups: Alpha Centauri, Civilization (all three).

Yo Antichrist:

"Etot ushe otstrel yalsya"? WTF? IIRC, "etot" is something like "that" or "this", but what about the rest?confused.gif

Huj snayet! <grin>

Would Heros of Might and Magic 1,2, and 3 qualify for this thread? Turnbased, strategy.......

not sure if it would be classified as an rpg though...

There is no such thing as "RPG" in computer games. As a roleplayer, I'm pissed off to see everything with "character development" called a RPG! The only computer "RPGs" that come anywhere near to being real "RPG" are Fallout and Fallout 2.

And RTS games are not strategy. Strategy is large scale and "deep", RTS' only scratch the surface. I'd call the tactic games, not strategy games. Same applies to a great deal of games people listed in their posts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (4ntifa @ Feb. 20 2002,16:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only computer "RPGs" that come anywhere near to being real "RPG" are Fallout and Fallout 2.<span id='postcolor'>

Have you tried 'Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall' or 'Planescape: Torment'?

I think there are other games on the pc that can be classified as RPG's, I remember playing some great games in the mid 80's like Moebius, and even the original Might and Magic that were nearly pen and paper games, they had so many options for character development, etc...

I agree slapping the name "RPG" on any game that has a knight,wizard, etc..is a massive generalisation, but you have to call 'em something.

and R. Gerschwarzenge, did you ever play the original Daggerfall? while it had many many bugs, it was even better than 2 I think...very open ended, and actually had more options than 2..

Just my 2c..

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Angry Radish @ Feb. 20 2002,16:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...and R. Gerschwarzenge, did you ever play the original Daggerfall? while it had many many bugs, it was even better than 2 I think...very open ended, and actually had more options than 2..

Just my 2c..<span id='postcolor'>

You probably mean 'Arena'. I've played it a little but I was totally addicted to Daggerfall few years back. smile.gif

Now I'm waiting for 'Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind'.