Sign in to follow this  
whereisbeef

Next steps of model

I have never done vehicle modeling before, but I really wanted to make a Huey for ArmA, seeing as it is my favorite chopper. So this being my first vehicle model, it isn't that great, but it's better than nothing.

hueyWireframe.jpg

hueyupdated.jpg

Now as you can see, their is no interior to the model. I was wondering if there was a way to do it or did I build my model wrong. I am wanting to have to doors open ( I already have a door modeled, it's just not shown) and seats inside.

To me your model looks like a solid model. You should make surface models for ArmA. In solid modelling you basically have something solid (like you are working on a piece of metal), which you manipulate to look like the object you are modelling.

In surface modelling you only create the surface of the object, leaving the inside hollow.

It is possible to convert a solid model into a surface model.

I don't know of any tutorial to convert a solid model into a surface model.

I've used a CAD program to convert a solid model into a surface model. You could look if there is a surface model format available in the modelling program you are using, and try saving your model into that file format. I am afraid that the end result will not be good with a complex model, you will probably have to clean up the model manually after the conversion.

I've brought solid 3D models from a CAD program into 3DS Max, then from there to Oxygen 2 Light. The end result is a surface model. The path I went was:

CATIA V5: Save As... STL

3DS Max: Import STL, Export 3DS

Oxygen: Open 3DS

The end result was good in my opinion, I didn't do any cleaning up to the model in Oxygen 2 Light and I saw no errors at all in the 3D model when it was in-game in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. The 3D model wasn't as optimized as it could have been but it worked well.

Look what options your 3D modelling program has for file formats and see what kind of results you get with different file formats.

Well I am using 3ds Max to make the model, and I don't see any option to export to surface map or anything like that.

first model the right side of the aircracft and delete some polygon then just mirror the geometry x or y coor, to complete the model

with 3ds max, use the 'Boolean' Function to subract things from solid models.

Goto

Help > Tutorials > How to model a Chess Set > Model a Bishop

to learn how.