Sign in to follow this  
imported_Fallschirmjager

This warning should have come with the game...

People who say things like you just said really should think again. You are blinded by technology and by your own geekyness. I have seen enough of this disease to tell right away if people have it. I had it too but one day I realized how stupid it was to think like that.

Ever read comments at youtube? You shouldnt be allowed to operate a PC if your IQ is equal to or lower then a potato.

People who say things like you just said really should think again. You are blinded by technology and by your own geekyness. I have seen enough of this disease to tell right away if people have it. I had it too but one day I realized how stupid it was to think like that.

There's a difference between being blinded by technology and not being able to find the "any" key. Those are the people I am talking about.

As temperatures are still going up due to summertime I already added a 120mm fan to the side of the case specifically to get airflow over the RAM modules. They have been a problem. Next I added a 80mm silent fan in the rear of the case to get the hot air out faster and create an airflow over the gfx card. Next I removed the fan and heatsinks from my gfx card (7600 GT AGP) and replaced the heatpads on it with a thin film of heatpaste (?) assembled it again, connected the 2 fans to a wired resistor 400kOhm, 30 Watt to be able to adjust the speed of both fans at once and VOILA, the temperature in my case dropped by 15° Celsius and the Temp of my overclocked card (640 core / ~1500 RAM) steadily is at 54 ° Celsius under heavy load. I will also add some RAM heatsinks and go for another change of RAM-Rate and if it runs stable I will do the voltmod for the card with a new cooler for GPU.

Overall my general ingame performance raised about 15-20 percent with all that measures and I have not experienced a single Arma crash since I have added the 120mm fan to the side of the case (needless to say that my comp is more silent now too as the 120mm fan only needs to run on slow RPM)

All that stuff I used was lying around here, so it didn´t even cost money. Just some time.

Ya know.. there wouldn't be so many people having problems if these things were written better in the first place..lol..

yes I agree there are some seriously stupid people out there, but even I, when trying vista, had serious complications that I just had no control over at all, short of editing the actual operating system and regedits. ( which still didnt help anything )

most people just want people to hold their hand and do everything for them. when in most cases they can indeed fix most problems with just looking for their problem and applying whatever was used to fix it to their situation.

on the other hand though... Vista...lol.. unless your bill gates you ain't fixing vista..lol.. if your using vista on arma all i can say is "partition" lol.. xp is soo much better still. and sooo much more reliable.

video cards, don't press that OC to high on this game, it will indeed run it into the ground and your temps will fly like no other game I have played yet. ( which I feel is a nvidia driver issue )

I dropped my GPU oc's from 660 core and 920 memory to 650 and 900 just to be safe and drop temps a bit more.

memory timings, unless your using realy good ram be safe with the timings.. don't hold them to tight. this game has a tendency to push that envelope and memory either handles it.. or it doesn't.. theres no real medium there.. if you let the timings go optimal you give yourself a safe zone to let the memory catch up if it needs to..

if you hold them to tight you can likely have physical memory dumps due to it and all kinds of corruptions that may even make you reinstall your OS if you let it go to long.

the 162.18 beta driver was geared toward fixing alot of game issues, so it's very worth using and I saw a definite stability increase after using it and using that hotfix for intel dual cores in the "tips and tricks" section.

very worth looking into if you have an intel dual core. and that driver.. I don't recommend beta drivers as a rule of thumb in general, but as it stands now, I have to admit, I will recommend this one.

well I hope this helps someone..lol.. took forever to friggin write it.. biggrin_o.gif

There's a difference between being blinded by technology and not being able to find the "any" key. Those are the people I am talking about.

Certainly it wasn't Fallschirmjager who asked where the 'any' key is.

Ever read comments at youtube? You shouldnt be allowed to operate a PC if your IQ is equal to or lower then a potato.

I have read no YouTube video comments written by Fallschirmjager. If you can point me to some very stupid comments on YouTube that he wrote about computers then I'd be interested to hear about it.

It is of course true that operating and maintaining a personal computer requires some knowledge and skills. It is an undeniable fact. The point Fallschirmjager made in his first post was that getting ArmA to work without problems and with good performance requires more knowledge and skills about setting up, operating and maintaining a personal computer than what can be reasonably required from him. And I agree with him. But I think it is not the fault of BIS. It is the fault of the whole technology. The whole personal computer technology is flawed in this aspect. It is way too unreliable, complex and unstable regarding from what hardware components and software programs a personal computer consists of to be called a good technology. Don't take me wrong, I have fiddled with computers like there is no tomorrow. I have spent way too much time using computers, setting up and adjusting all sorts of things that really could just have been let as they were. Now, the technology blindness is that if I now go to other people and tell them to do the same that I have been doing, because that is what needs to be done in order to be succesful, now that is certainly technology blindness. Here Fallschirmjager has a very valid point. He should not need to know about overclocking. He should not have to know how to fine-tune a computer so he could get the last 5 % of performance out of it, in order to play a game. He should not have to know what exact driver version has to be used for ArmA to work the best. He definitely should not need to know those kinds of things in order to be able to enjoy a computer game. As you can read, Fallschirmjager already stated that his computer fulfills the minimum requirements that BIS thinks ArmA requires.

This is not the fault of BIS, it is the fault of the personal computer technology. I already said at least two times in some other threads that games for consoles might be a good idea after all, after spending lots of time throughout my life using a personal computer and fixing all sorts of certainly un-obvious problems, and after reading what problems others were having while trying to get ArmA at least running without a Crash To Desktop.

I have read no YouTube video comments written by Fallschirmjager. If you can point me to some very stupid comments on YouTube that he wrote about computers then I'd be interested to hear about it.

In general, i dont check who says what, im not the CIA. tounge2.gif

Certainly it wasn't Fallschirmjager who asked where the 'any' key is.

It is of course true that operating and maintaining a personal computer requires some knowledge and skills. It is an undeniable fact. The point Fallschirmjager made in his first post was that getting ArmA to work without problems and with good performance requires more knowledge and skills about setting up, operating and maintaining a personal computer than what can be reasonably required from him. And I agree with him. But I think it is not the fault of BIS. It is the fault of the whole technology. The whole personal computer technology is flawed in this aspect. It is way too unreliable, complex and unstable regarding from what hardware components and software programs a personal computer consists of to be called a good technology. Don't take me wrong, I have fiddled with computers like there is no tomorrow. I have spent way too much time using computers, setting up and adjusting all sorts of things that really could just have been let as they were. Now, the technology blindness is that if I now go to other people and tell them to do the same that I have been doing, because that is what needs to be done in order to be succesful, now that is certainly technology blindness. Here Fallschirmjager has a very valid point. He should not need to know about overclocking. He should not have to know how to fine-tune a computer so he could get the last 5 % of performance out of it, in order to play a game. He should not have to know what exact driver version has to be used for ArmA to work the best. He definitely should not need to know those kinds of things in order to be able to enjoy a computer game. As you can read, Fallschirmjager already stated that his computer fulfills the minimum requirements that BIS thinks ArmA requires.

This is not the fault of BIS, it is the fault of the personal computer technology. I already said at least two times in some other threads that games for consoles might be a good idea after all, after spending lots of time throughout my life using a personal computer and fixing all sorts of certainly un-obvious problems, and after reading what problems others were having while trying to get ArmA at least running without a Crash To Desktop.

100% on the mark, correct.. I couldn't of said it better..

I use to counsel game until last year.. I decided I'd try pc due to the complexity and options that become availalbe on pc that are not on counsel..like game editing and map creation, script editing, etc.

I came to find out very fast that pc's are totally unreliable in general.. A gaming counsel handles one thing.. Games.. it doesn't care about OS's and Drivers and updates and and and.. it just does what it does.. the only thing it knows how to do..

So there are very few instances of conflicts because you don't have the problem that some hardware causes conflicts or some programs cause conflicts.. it's all geared to one purpose.. gaming.

the pc industry is turning into one giant hack.. developers are working together less and less to provide tried and tested working products and have become complacent in allowing us to fix their problems for them, because why?

because we let them.. we still give them our money, so they take it.. no one buy a pc for a whole year.. see what that does to the pc industry.. "it wont happen" but if it did it'd dam sure let them know how quick the people could put them all right out of business if we get tired or it.. and i for one am indeed tired of it..

Os's.

drivers.

hardware.

games.

memory.

cpu.

gpu.

problems..

problems..

problems..

problems..

problems..

problems..

it's sad really.. there is nothing I can always rely on about a PC.

That to me screams "anti-trust lawsuit"

the pc indusry is a monopoly basically..

what they are doing is definitely a breach of trust and companies "like AT&T have been sued because of things very similar to this.

we trust them to provide us with working products and reliable fixes and they do not meet that expectation at all..

My 8800 video card has 2 HD out's on it.. I can't use the 200 dollar gold plated cables I bought for it because it doesn't work right and overscans terribly..

but the card on the box says it is HD ready... thats a blatant case of false advertising.

been like what? 6 months since the card came out and still no HD... I have HD cable, Hd connections and a 1600 dollar HD 1080 TV.. with a video card that wont work in HD........

Vista... I don't even need to say anything else... Just vista.. thats a law suit right there if i ever saw one.. forced into a series of extreme upgrades by a power and money hungry pice

of S#!^..

then nothing works.. people spent thousands of dollars to be "vista ready" and now... vista isn't vista ready.. months have past.. vista still is not ready.. nvidia drivers, still not ready...

Honestly, I just want them all sued, they need to be..

Nvidiad site has a link on it that says

"test our beta drivers and tell us what you think"

Does Nvidia write me a paycheck? no they don't. but apparently they expect me to work for them for free.. even after I spend over a grand on a MOBO with their nforce chipset and 2 8800 graphic cards..

I paid them to make me work for them is what it comes down to.. I gave them money.. and they said "oh sorry that doesn't work even though we said it does" mind fixing it for us?

These people need to to be sued.. or they will continue to run over the consumers like they have been more and more over the past years.. it won't get better unless they are sued.. it will in fact get worse.. watch.. business ethics at it's best.. take the money and push off all responsibility..thats how it works..

customer support will never say "we're sorry we messed that up" ask them to say it..they won't.. their specifically told not to say that because it adds liability in case the conversation is being recorded.. so it's "woops, yea thats messed up, let's see what we can do" nothing about it being their fault..

nothing about how they rushed out a not ready product to be the first out with it and "make more money" and not care about the consumers..

Anyone with any intelligence should be able to see this.. Has microsoft ever told you "we messed up"? no...

nvidia? nope... anti-trust at it's best.. lawsuit time I say..

But thats my 2 cents.. I'll switch to ps3 or an xbox if this keeps up.. ARMA is coming out on it anyway.. well arma is coming out on ps3.. idk about xbox..

so to the pc industry all i can say is.. I hope you get band.gif !!

Actually, those who said you should have a license are agreeing with me. That is my point. If a sim needs you to do all of the stuff suggested in the thread, then it came out the door too soon. IMHO. Maybe the warning should read..

"WARNING: Unless you have either a new rig (I.e. 6 months old or less) or a degree in Computer Science (I.e. also 6 months old or less) you will probably not be able to play this GAME."

While I do not have either a new rig or a CS degree, I do have a life and as a consumer, my expectations were just a little higher.

I have tried many of the things including some I've never tried before. Willing to do whatever to make it work.

Anyway, I am happy for those who are enjoying it. I want the sim to succeed because it means hours and hours of fun for me (if I get the problems fixed).

Oh well, guess I'll have to enjoy Combat Mission Shock Force when it comes out on the 27th.... wink_o.gif.

Honestly computers haven't gotten much easier (very old computers required lots of typing)

But now programs have many settings and features.The scene is swamped with various hardware

Computers can only do what you make them do.

They are complex for the normal person.

Hardware and software fail more now than ever.

Then MS has to release Vista, if your new to computers you really should be using XP only.Lots more support and most everything works within a standard usually

I get tired of maintaining our computers in our household and my work.They fail just using the web for example.

I have a stack of dead harddrives and I often think that even the older nosiy hdd's lasted for years

I just swapped a external dvdrw that lasted 2 weeks with little use, for 100$ why can't they just not make em so cheap made