Sign in to follow this  
canis lupus

More effects?

I just though of an addon for ofp that made the empty shells stay on the ground, so I though that would look good in Arma aswell is that possible yet? I have been looking through all the files in the arma folder, but I have no idea how to work arround the config files and I havn't found anything that could be the right file even if I did...

I have though of some other things aswell, it would be great if it wasn't only the empty shells that stays but also the empty magazines, since they disapear when reloading that means that must have a self standing model, so its "just" to put it on the ground when a reload is done...

and last, when there is some sort of explosion you see debris in the air, it would give a great battle aftermath feeling if those debris were laying arround everywhere...

So is this a possibility and could someone work on it or tell me what files I need to mess arround with?!

... it would be great if it wasn't only the empty shells that stays but also the empty magazines, since they disapear when reloading that means that must have a self standing model, so its "just" to put it on the ground when a reload is done...

When you make your gun model you make the magazine as a

separate chunk and with a bit of config wizardry the engine  

knows to disappear it while the reload anim plays and

a clicky-clacky sound is heard.

If you look around, some addon makers have made discarded

magazines appear as a model of a magazine (and not a khaki

coloured satchel). By "discarded" I mean explicitly dropped,

not thrown down during a reload (who does that anyway?).

Empty shels r great idea and maybe cann by dan as a misc or somthing too add near the at guns. And for the mags u trow them only in the movies. In real situacion u will put the empty mag in u west or what ever u use for storing ammo. U need those mag later for reloding.

I can think of two additional effects that would be really helpful for addon makers:

1. Persistant fire, that causes damage to models. Just an incendiary warhead, that creates nothing but flash, fire, and smoke. I want napalm, and thermobaric bombs.

2. A timed, or proximity-triggered detonation. Proximity would be best for simulating air-burst warheads.

I'm sure I'll think of others.

Shell casings that ejected randomly, ie rotation and a few degrees difference in direction would be a start.

Right now they just limply jump an inch and then drop away in a small brass fountain.

Persistant fire, that causes damage to models. Just an incendiary warhead, that creates nothing but flash, fire, and smoke. I want napalm, and thermobaric bombs.

Thermobaric bombs have nothing to do with fire.

Shell casings that ejected randomly, ie rotation and a few degrees difference in direction would be a start.

Right now they just limply jump an inch and then drop away in a small brass fountain.

A modder can easily adjust how cases are ejected to fix

the "limply jump an inch" problem, at least. In the weapon

models there is a point that represents where the case

ejection starts and another that determines its direction.

Fiddling with these can at least let a model weapon dump

its brass in a similar trajectory to the real life one.

@ col.Faulkner

I noticed the magazine model when you drop them from some of the addon makers weapons, fromn there it shouldn't be so hard to do the same when reloading, if you know how to do it that is...

I'm not sure of I misunderstood you first post, the last part, I'm pretty sure that during battle you don't keep the empty magazines...

another issue perhaps, a lot of people have performance problems with arma and I'm not sure if the effects could cause some heavy lag, after a battle, there will be a lot of empty shells everyewhere, if possible there should perhaps be a timer you can adjust, how long the shells should be on the ground

Persistant fire, that causes damage to models. Just an incendiary warhead, that creates nothing but flash, fire, and smoke. I want napalm, and thermobaric bombs.

There are/have been developed, and/or currently in use- thermobaric, and FAE-type weapons with an added incendiary effect. Some of the proposed Agent Defeat Weapon warhead options, and the RPO-A Shmel for instance.

That said, I specifically mentioned napalm (type) weapons as well.

welcome.gif

There are/have been developed, and/or currently in use- thermobaric, and FAE-type weapons with an added incendiary effect. Some of the proposed Agent Defeat Weapon warhead options, and the RPO-A Shmel for instance.

That said, I specifically mentioned napalm (type) weapons as well.

welcome.gif

So you were correct about napalm weapons and complete wrong about the thermobaric warheads? The RPO-A is a thermobaric warhead. The RPO-Z is the incendiary warhead. The Agent Defeat Weapon has a 'thermo-corrosive' incendiary warhead. Given that thermobaric warheads use up all of the oxygen in the area they are used, I would be quite surprised to find a whole lot of fire there afterwards no matter what you put in them for secondary effects. welcome.gif

Actually, in real-life as an infantryman in the US Army you are trained in how to engage targets and reload all while keeping expended magazines with you. We have battle drills at the firing range to make sure we don't drop magazines on the ground.

Here's another; A flash-bang effect, that stuns both human players, and AI. This would be a great tool for CQB/dynamic entry/MOUT missions.

In OFP, there was a grenade addon that caused "ringing" in the ears, as well as a blinding flash if you were too close to the detonation. So, it could "stun" humans. Even better still, would be a scripted effect that could cause any character in the effect range to "DoStop this", and drop to prone position- effectively immobilizing the victim for 2.5-3.5 seconds or so. Might even be fun to cause the victim to drop their carried weapon, if they were very close to the detonation.

IRL, that is how stun grenades work. They cause such a massive sensory overload, the brain of the victim has to stop everything non-vital, and "reboot". It's like how the nuke effect drops my frame-rate to zero for a second.

And then you simply kill them. pistols.gif

And BTW: Someone tell me if I'm stupid or crazy, but would it be possible for smoke grenades to create an invisible target effect, that the enemy AI would have to target? I'm thinking that a smoke grenade would produce a number of very small, slow moving, invisible enemy targets that the opposition would have to target for the duration of the smoke effect, causing them to ignore everything else, and/or waste their ammo shooting at them.

Each side would have their own smoke grenades, so that only their enemy can see the targets. I suppose a problem might occur if you were to use an enemy smoker- your own nearby AI troops would be rendered 'tarded, while the grenade was smoking. But, I think I could live with that for 10-15 seconds, if it meant I now had a good reason to fill an ammo slot with a smoke grenade.

@Claus.Valca

that was good to know for a fact, if soldiers don't drop their mags in real life they shouldn't in arma, but perhaps the magaziens could be made as an object to put on the ground from the editor, to make dramatic effects.

@Viper Shiva

the flashbang is a good idea and I'm pretty sure that someone will make them sooner or later.

the smoke grenade thing is a good idea too, but if its possible, I don't know, it would be great, I belive that if you see smoke in real life battle you would fire in it because you know someone will try to run through it.

I don't know if its possible to make the smoke a target, but perhaps the grenade itself could be made a target...