Sign in to follow this  
quiet_man

The two most MUST HAVE changes to Arma multiplayer

I just played a few days multiplayer and found two things that absolutely need to be changed in my eyes!

1. The non functional OK bottom

Why non functional? Because there is always at least one player no pressing it!

What to change: Don't start mission for people not having pressed the OK bottom!

They just let XX people spend their time watching the timeout counter, why give them the luxury of automatic mission start? band.gifband.gifband.gif

Also why should people unable to handle an OK bottom join an Arma mission?

2. Standard difficulty "Regular"

Lots of people still have problems with the mission voting system. OK, so we play the first mission cause it is the first mission in the list. But why does it need to be on "Regular" difficulty?

Good, the noobs get slaughtered at all in PvP, so it is not relevant that they don't know how to enable autoaim.

But if some veteran joins, takes a SAW, spins 360 degrees and has killed everything within 500 meters, that's no fun.

pistols.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gifgoodnight.gif

What to change: Change default difficulty for multiplayer to "Veteran"

If people want to enable whatever support they need, they should learn what they are doing so they know what will happen. I can't understand why most servers run on regular!?

Lets discuss and when people are for a change, we can add to bugtracker.

QuietMan

I want to be able to read the briefing before starting a game I JIPped in.

1. The non functional OK bottom

Why non functional? Because there is always at least one player no pressing it!

What to change: Don't start mission for people not having pressed the OK bottom!

Maybe you didn't witness this, but the OK button went a long way since OFP. There you have to wait until _every_ player pressed OK before the mission starts at all. Can be quite annoying when there is no Admin present or the Admin hesitates to kick him.

There may be mission/technical reasons, considering startup-scripts e.g, why a synchronized start is advisable.

You can observe this in missions which have trouble with JIP.

Quote[/b] ]

2. Standard difficulty "Regular"

What to change: Change default difficulty for multiplayer to "Veteran"

It should be the server admin's job to decide this, not the developers'. The admin can already alter the config settings and make 'cadet'-mode hard and 'veteran'-mode easy. So the default on the server becomes the harder one.

Yet I agree it was better to leave choice of the default mode up to the admin, as the hardcoded default results in counter-intuitive names of the modi.

Celery, the briefing is on the MAP...

press M when you spawn in and read away  whistle.gif

The two changes asked for in this thread are not important to multiplayer. I think the OP is a newbie. There's nothing wrong with that, just a tad ignorant, is all. Play the game some more please, before you make suggestions like this.

I sense much fear in you....   biggrin_o.gif

The two must have changes for multiplayer are performance enhancements and animations. period end of story case closed thank you goodnight.gif

Our server runs " regular" mode, but in the servers config, the settings have been tweeked to match veteran except with the 3rd person view.

If an admin isnt present, i thought the server would automatically continue reguardless if OK had been pressed ?

If an admin isnt present, i thought the server would automatically continue reguardless if OK had been pressed ?

It should. There's like a default 60-80 seconds or so timeout.

You can always tell a good teamplay from a lone Rambo, they usually got patience to wait those 60-80 seconds.

I hate having to wait for a person thats AFK or really slow just to hit the Okay button.

-Ziggy- @ July 12 2007,13:11)]

Celery, the briefing is on the MAP...

press M when you spawn in and read away whistle.gif

When you are in the game, you may not have time to read the briefing anymore.

You can always tell a good teamplay from a lone Rambo, they usually got patience to wait those 60-80 seconds.

an Rambo goes on assumptions, teamplayer talk.

QuietMan

It should. There's like a default 60-80 seconds or so timeout.

how many people here have actually played MP?

there are two timeouts, on at the lobby and one at the map.

Another point for no automatic starting is that sometimes you just enter the Lobby when the mission starts. You are thrown into mission without even knowing which side or role you are placed in.

QuietMan

In both cases, i don't agree...

I agree.

I disagree on your agreement to disagree nener.gif

@ it was always so

Then it is overdue for a change

@ JIP issues or missions were player NEED to start same time

Why a timeout for those cases at all? People should be ready for mission start, so they signal by pressing ok.

@ Setting difficulty in mission/script

how will people know what settings you run? I join only servers showing "veteran" as difficulty. I don't have as much time to waste like other seam to have.

@ other changes are more important

might be, but this changes look easy and I wonder how many cheater complains come from autoaim most people don't think of.

QuietMan