Sign in to follow this  
ArmaVidz

Modelling Pipeline

Eh fellas,

I got a question if someone would be so kind as to help out.  smile_o.gif I am not looking for a tutorial or anything, just basic information.

I am looking for a point-form list of programs that are used to start a model and follow through to it's completion(preference to modelling programs doesn't need to include all modelling programs just the one you like) to in-game and a project pipeline outline.

My impression so far is 3DS/Modo/Maya->O2>Texturing(CS2)->Config Writing>In-game

...is that even remotely correct?  smile_o.gif

Hi

Remember also that there are free, open-source alternatives to the commercial 3D modelling applications. One example is http://www.blender.org/

I'll say something about hardware too.

If you are serious about 3D modelling then familiarize yourself with 3D navigation devices.

Look for example at http://www.3dconnexion.com/

In my opinion a 3D navigation device is a must for anyone who is going to spend a lot of time using a 3D modelling program. The cheapest model from 3dconnexion is sold in Finland for around 60 euros. It is a low price for this kind of device, as it really helps you work more effectively and it significantly reduces the burden on your mouse hand, if that is normally used for navigation in the 3D view.

Unfortunately Blender doesn't officially support a 3D navigation device, but I read there is some sort of unofficial support for it (most likely difficult to get working). This is one point where the commercial applications are better.

Best Regards,

Baddo.

Personally for me:

PS7 to create blueprints for -> O2 Modeling -> Texturing PS7 (Prefer the old one)

I've used 3DSMax for various projects, but I don't find working with primatives as intuitive or good as working with vertexes - personal preference of course - I know 3DSMax of course has lots of gucci buttons here and there to make things easier, but thats just being lazy biggrin_o.gif

Hi

Remember also that there are free, open-source alternatives to the commercial 3D modelling applications. One example is http://www.blender.org/

I'll say something about hardware too.

If you are serious about 3D modelling then familiarize yourself with 3D navigation devices.

Look for example at http://www.3dconnexion.com/

In my opinion a 3D navigation device is a must for anyone who is going to spend a lot of time using a 3D modelling program. The cheapest model from 3dconnexion is sold in Finland for around 60 euros. It is a low price for this kind of device, as it really helps you work more effectively and it significantly reduces the burden on your mouse hand, if that is normally used for navigation in the 3D view.

Unfortunately Blender doesn't officially support a 3D navigation device, but I read there is some sort of unofficial support for it (most likely difficult to get working). This is one point where the commercial applications are better.

Best Regards,

Baddo.

@Baddo

Thanks Baddo. Especially for pointing out the freeware program and the 3D nav device.

@Messiah

I've done some very basic messing around with primatives in Maya and 3DS max, eventually falling at Poser6 and then forgetting about it altogether. I've never tried O2, I think I will. My main reason for getting into modelling isn't just for ArmA, I'd actually like to use it for my art - pencil RL.

What I am definitely curious about is other people's modelling pipelines, the fellas that have been doing it for a while. I know it's rather complicated but I guess asking before you start helps alot when planning your resource setup.

smile_o.gif Thanks fellas

there are few ways to go about that. It all depends on what features you would like to use in your assets. So:

1. Normal map way:

a. high poly model than low poly. bake normal map from high poly + occlussion maps. Export to o2 and make proper selections for game use. Notepad for config. pack it and use it.

b. Low poly + photoshop for normal map from high map (bump map). Rest the same

2. No normal map. Low poly modeling, textures, o2, config.

learn blender and you'll be able to mod games in general not only Arma. Start learning C++. You'll benefit from it greatly.

there are few ways to go about that. It all depends on what features you would like to use in your assets. So:

1. Normal map way:

a. high poly model than low poly. bake normal map from high poly + occlussion maps. Export to o2 and make proper selections for game use. Notepad for config. pack it and use it.

b. Low poly + photoshop for normal map from high map (bump map). Rest the same

2. No normal map. Low poly modeling, textures, o2, config.

learn blender and you'll be able to mod games in general not only Arma. Start learning C++. You'll benefit from it greatly.

Talkin' about bringin' the bling! Thanks! C++ eh? Cool.

Hi ArmaVidz,

Not sure how much this will actually help you, but i thought it couldn't hurt to add my comments smile_o.gif

See I started "trying" to learn how to model about 3-4 weeks ago with Blender.  I have been working throughThis Wiki book.  Sometimes I found it alittle tricky to follow, so I just left things and came back to them when I could.  

Currently I am on my first model outside of the tuts.  

I'm quite slow at picking things up, but just so you can get a rough idea on where you would be at in around a month, here is a (very crappy  biggrin_o.gif ) picture of my current model.

http://img476.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tigg2.jpg

(It suppose to be a tiger tank btw if you can't tell help.gif)

I am just using the very basic techniques(struggling alot with smoothing though as you can tell:)).  I have got a long way to go though, and this model will probably never be "acceptable" for what you would want to put in Arma.  But yeah, you just gotta keep at it and you slowly get better smile_o.gif

Anyway as I said, this probably has not helped just thought I would add what little I have learn't so far.  Best of luck    

pistols.gif

Anyway as I said, this probably has not helped just thought I would add what little I have learn't so far.  Best of luck    

pistols.gif

You are clearly insane! Of course it helped! smile_o.gif It's very encouraging because I've already done some basic, basic modelling and I have a technical background in computers so seeing this, is very, very encouraging.

For a beginner model, I would say that's pretty good! Thank you for sharing!

biggrin_o.gif